• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 period3

period3

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

The Ser Davos Seaworth card says:

"Response: Save Ser Davos Seaworth from being killed, then pay 1 gold or return him to his owner's hand".

I have two questions about this interpretation:

1.  Can I just declare my intention to save Ser Davos, or do I need to play some other card that allows me to save him?  Based on what I've read in this forum, I believe it is the former, but the wording is ambiguous and has been the source of several arguments between me and my opponent.

2.  What happens when Ser Davos is saved and I pay one gold?   Does he remain in play?   If this is the case, can be he used to absorb many military challenges?  For example, my opponent played a plot card that enabled her to issue two military challenges.  I defended with Ser Davos and lost, declared my intention to save Ser Davos, paid one gold, and kept him in play.  I repeated this for the second miltary challenge.   Is this allowed?

#2 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

period3 said:

The Ser Davos Seaworth card says:

"Response: Save Ser Davos Seaworth from being killed, then pay 1 gold or return him to his owner's hand".

I have two questions about this interpretation:

1.  Can I just declare my intention to save Ser Davos, or do I need to play some other card that allows me to save him?  Based on what I've read in this forum, I believe it is the former, but the wording is ambiguous and has been the source of several arguments between me and my opponent.

2.  What happens when Ser Davos is saved and I pay one gold?   Does he remain in play?   If this is the case, can be he used to absorb many military challenges?  For example, my opponent played a plot card that enabled her to issue two military challenges.  I defended with Ser Davos and lost, declared my intention to save Ser Davos, paid one gold, and kept him in play.  I repeated this for the second miltary challenge.   Is this allowed?

1. You don't have to play any other cards. His ability itself is what saves him. 

2. If you pay the gold, he does remain in play. If you either cannot pay the gold or choose not to, then he is returned to your hand. So, if you have the spare gold, he could absord multiple military challenges, yes. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion

A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#3 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

divinityofnumber said:

1. You don't have to play any other cards. His ability itself is what saves him. 

2. If you pay the gold, he does remain in play. If you either cannot pay the gold or choose not to, then he is returned to your hand. So, if you have the spare gold, he could absord multiple military challenges, yes. 

Just a quick clarification on point 2. Davos can be saved any number of times during the turn so long as you have the gold. He can not be solely claimed to satisfy the claim of a multi-claim (2+) challenge.

#4 J_Roel

J_Roel

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Whenever an effect (including claim) will kill multiple characters, they must all be chosen at the same time. So you can't choose the same character more than once, even if you would be able to save them one or more times. As such, Davos would live through the 2 claim (and be available for another save afterwards), but you would still have to kill someone, unless you had a seperate save available. That's the same reason that you won't have to kill Davos to a 2 claim challenge if he is your only character, you only choose him once and there is noone to die to the 2nd claim.

"...and Balerion... his fire was as black as his scales, his wings so vast that whole towns were swallowed up in their shadow when he passed over head."

#5 Ulrictar

Ulrictar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

HI

My understanding is you can only trigger a response once,

Is this per turn, i.e. Player one challenges I save then Player 2 becomes active player can I trigger the Response again..?

If a opponent has Robb stark and I save Ser Davos Seaworth in the miltary challenge can my opponent pick Ser davos Seaworth and can I do anything about it..?

If my opponent has a deadly character and I save Ser Davos Seaworth in the miltary challenge, if he is the only participating character does he die and is there any way to save him

Ta

Ulrictar

#6 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

I'm not sure I understand the query re one response per trigger per card ... the trigger in this case is Davos being killed

If you save him and everyone moves onto the next challege there will be another trigger and you can repeat

You could have the following scenario ...

Davos is due to die (say for a military claim) - if you save him and the save is cancelled, you cannot save him again (for the same claim) even if you have more money ..., you would have already triggered his response once for the current trigger (him being killed)

For a military challenge (or any challenge) the claim is paid first ... after that passives kick in such as renown and deadly

If you have any characters who participated in the challenge remaining in play after the claim and you have less deadly, you would have to kill one of those characters for deadly

You can save Davos for the claim and then save him again for deadly - assuming you had the money ... these are two separate triggers

After the passives, responses occur ... such as Robb killing someone ... another trigger and another save option occurs

#7 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

My understanding is you can only trigger a response once

You can only trigger a response on a given piece of cardboard once PER trigger. That means that while you can play two condemened by the councils (if you have them) after your intrigue win, you can only trigger Robb stark once per military challenge win. However, you could trigger one for each military challenge you win that phase (in which he participates).

For saves, that means that you can trigger the response on a piece of cardboard once for every time the character dies. In Davos's case you can save him from claim, *then* save him from deadly, but, for instance, if someone cancelled the first save and you didn't have any other saves but his, you couldn't try to save him *again* from the claim.

• mdc273 likes this

#8 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

HI

My understanding is you can only trigger a response once,

Is this per turn, i.e. Player one challenges I save then Player 2 becomes active player can I trigger the Response again..?

If a opponent has Robb stark and I save Ser Davos Seaworth in the miltary challenge can my opponent pick Ser davos Seaworth and can I do anything about it..?

If my opponent has a deadly character and I save Ser Davos Seaworth in the miltary challenge, if he is the only participating character does he die and is there any way to save him

Ta

Ulrictar

As Istaril indicates, you can trigger a response once per 'trigger condition' met.

Davos's 'trigger condition' is 'Davos would be killed'. This means any time an effect or mechanic attempts to kill him that he can be saved.

Your example:

1) Claim - You choose Davos. You can save Davos.

2) Deadly - You choose Davos. You can save Davos.

3) Robb Stark's ability is triggered and chooses Davos. - You can save Davos.

So while you can't trigger a response multiple times per 'trigger condition' you can save Davos as many times as he needs saving as long as the save isn't cancelled. Keep in mind this particular instance would require at least 2 gold to use the save 3 times (the final save would return him to your hand).

Edited by mdc273, 19 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#9 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Note that paying gold is not required for Davos' save. And since the payment is in a "then" clause, you won't pay if the save is cancelled (you won't have paid yet when it was cancelled).

#10 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

re 1.  Can I just declare my intention to save Ser Davos, or do I need to play some other card that allows me to save him?

I have to admit we were confused and misplayed Viserys Targ when we first started

Response: Save Viserys Targaryen from being killed or discarded from play, then return him to his owner's hand

We made the assumption that you had to save him first - using something else - and then you could return him to your hand

#11 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

That would be "Response: After Viserys Targaryen is saved from being killed or discarded from play, return..."

#12 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

When I first started playing, I also thought that about Viserys and Davos(that you had to save them some other way first).  Once I learned the way triggered effects work, it clears the air quite a bit.  I probably searched these forums and found those answers at that time too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS