• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Justinian

Justinian

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Here are some the new Rogue Trader books I'd like to see:

Bestiary part 2. Cause you can never have too many monsters.

Xenos Starship Codex with hulls and components, for Eldar, Rakgol, and Ork, so you can buld your own xenos ships.

A new ship book, not only with new hulls and components, but also rules for bulding stations.

A faction book, with new charachter options, equipment, antagonists, and ships, for various factions. Thulean explorers, pirates, Imperial Navy, Rogue Traders, ect.

A vehicle book. This is desperately needed. Not only rules for Imperial vehicles, but also small craft and lighters, and xenos vehicles as well. Perhaps with a system to build your own.

A book of eandeavours. This book is also desperately needed, hopefull with a better economic system.

A dynasty book for Rogue Traders. A book with options to builed dynasties and examples of holdings and estates.

Anybody else got any ideas?

I get the feeling FFG is looking for new inspiration, so now's the time if you have any ideas.

#2 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Explorator Fleet Supplement. Rules and suggestions for running an Explorator ship, as well as information and neuances of the Magos Errant.

Basically the Rogue Trader version of The Lathe Worlds.

Second, I'd like to have a thick book dealing entirely with setting up Colonies and Space Stations, as well as dealing with planetary politics.

• CardinalBiggles likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#3 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Maybe a book about being a rogue trader in the Calixis Sector. Would be nice with some material that link these two settings more together:

- What power does a Rogue Trader have when they are not in the expanse?

- How are they linked with the different imperial organisations?

- What role do they play in the spineward front and jericho crusade?

I guess I am asking for more cross over material between the different W40K games. :-)

#4 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

-Xenos starship book-ork, rakgoul, eldar, tyranid, tau, necron, include rules for what a rogue trader might do with a captured one of these xenos starships

-Xenos career book

-stations and battleships book, just make it an imperial navy supplament

-explorator fleet book

-exploration and colonization book

-Ecclesiarcal fleet book

#5 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

I think there are some great ideas here…All I would add is that it FFG seem to dislike supplements of a single classic RPG “type”. By this I mean they seem to prefer a crunch/fluff split within every book. Even the bestiary books contain a lot of background material and plot hooks, while the ostensible “sourcebooks” of the various lines (Achillus Assault, Disciples of the Dark Gods etc) contain a lot of “crunch” material of immediate use to GMs.

So it seems to me that some of these book ideas could be split into broad classes that could contain a mix of the material set out above:-

An Exploration/Colony sourcebook, containing a detailed background history of exploration and colonisation attempts within the Koronus Expanse, equipment, vehicles, ship components, space stations, and starships for exploration. Perhaps some hard and fast colony creation rules. Exploration and colonial endeavours.

A Dynasty sourcebook, detailing the full history of the major Rogue Trader dynasties of the Expanse – not so much the individual Rogue Traders and their ships, but their holdings, intrigues, enemies, assets and major ongoing endeavours. Full Dynasty creation rules, enabling players to set out full details of their own dynasty’s assets and history. Equipment (including ships and components) with a decidedly luxurious emphasis – the “bling” equipment beloved by a certain type of Rogue Trader. Rules for Star Yachts – pleasure vessels of the richest dynasties. Guidance over Roguie Trader Politics and their relationship with the Imperium in general and the Calixis Sector in particular.  

As for a xenos starship book, I dunno…BFK contained rules for all of the ships that are likely to be encountered within the Koronus Expanse. Perhaps the way around this would be to do a complete “Crossover” book, as Alox suggests, which contains rules for those Xenos threats (and other threats) found in other parts of the FFG galaxy. So Tyranids, Necrons and Chaos forces from the Jericho Reach combined with Ork, Seperatist and Dark Eldar from the Spinward front. It could also cover Space Marine ships, as these are common in the Jericho Reach, and far from unknown in the Calixis Sector (home of the Storm Wardens.) This could be a highly crunchy book containing a basic bestiary of xenos from these various races, together with some lightly “fluffy” history of Rogue Traders in other regions and guidance on how to run a Rogue Trader game in multiple sectors.

All of the above are variations on other people’s ideas; I’m really just brainstorming with ideas set out on this thread already.

For my own part, I would really like to see a balls-out large sourcebook from FFG. I used to love the background-heavy regional city books of old WoD, and I’d love to see one set in the Koromus Expanse. Even GW used to get in on the act with this sort of book, with Middenheim:City of the White Wolf being the model for my favourite type of RPG supplement.

Specifically, I’d like to see a “Mareinburg: Sold Down the River” style sourcebook for Footfall. Imagine a detailed, 256 page supplement covering the history, culture, geography and personalities of Footfall. I’d buy that in a heartbeat. 

#6 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Alox said:

Maybe a book about being a rogue trader in the Calixis Sector. Would be nice with some material that link these two settings more together:

I guess I am asking for more cross over material between the different W40K games. :-)

Oh, yeah, I would love this, even though I can work out most of those specific questions based on available material, it would still be greatly appreciated as a dedicated supplement. With sections such as "Scintilla Trade Operations" and "Dealing with the Lathes".

Rogue Trader: Coreward.

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#7 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I would like to see a Conversion/udate book that converts rogue trader to OW type of ruleset (especially advancement and combat)

A book/supplement that deals with actual Battleships.

A Xenos character path for Eldar/Tau Characters.

#8 Berhagen

Berhagen

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Lightbringer said:

An Exploration/Colony sourcebook, containing a detailed background history of exploration and colonisation attempts within the Koronus Expanse, equipment, vehicles, ship components, space stations, and starships for exploration. Perhaps some hard and fast colony creation rules. Exploration and colonial endeavours.

This sounds pretty much like "Stars of Inequity:.

#9 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I second all the ideas in the posts above! I want em all.

My two cents…

A book dedicated to each Xeno race that will stand alone as a game yet is fully compatable with RT. Each Xenos book would include material for creating characters as well as details on culture and ships. While some Xenos might not be very playable such as Trynanids a book with a swarm generator and a description with crunch detailing the process of Tryanaforming of a world they are invading would be helpfull .

#10 Aajz_Solari

Aajz_Solari

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

@DigitalRedneck: One book for each race might be a bit too much, but, as many people have already said before me, be it in this thread or others, a career path for Eldar PCs is really a must and long overdue. Eldar Corsair/Outcast, please!

A second Bestiary would be awesome!

And an adventure supplement with Space Marines in it (I mean, joing forces with them in a shared endeavour, for example) would be really great!

#11 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Aajz_Solari said:

@DigitalRedneck: One book for each race might be a bit too much, but, as many people have already said before me, be it in this thread or others, a career path for Eldar PCs is really a must and long overdue. Eldar Corsair/Outcast, please!

A second Bestiary would be awesome!

And an adventure supplement with Space Marines in it (I mean, joing forces with them in a shared endeavour, for example) would be really great!

All very true!  A Ork book and an Eldar one will sell like hotcakes to starving lumberjacks tho. With the Eldar one being very very long overdue for sure. In fact in vet surprised more Eldar stuff has not been released.  This gives me hope fore a big Eldar book in the works somewhere… (I'm hoping for it too!). 

Your shared endeavor Space Marine idea is also very cool and chock full of ideas and possibilities. I just love it!

#12 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I'd love to see a Stryxis Nomad career path, but don't know where that would fit in.

A Craftworld Eldar book would be lovely. I'd kill to see playable Corsairs or Warlocks, and the option to run a full Craftworlder game (like you can with the current Ork or Dark Eldar rules) would make me so happy.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#13 Emperor Castaigne

Emperor Castaigne

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Rogue Trader: Jericho Reach.

• Rules for constructing Battleships.
  • Rules for constructing Strike Cruisers and Battlebarges so that Deathwatch players can join in on the fun of ship-to-ship combat and so that GM's can craft their own Astartes adversaries for the heretical/piratical/simply-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time players.
  • Rules for constructing Chaos vessels so that Black Crusade players can join in the fun of ship-to-ship combat and so that GM's can craft their own Chaos/Heretek adversaries for the players.
  • Rules for constructing Ork vessels so that Ork Freebooter players can join in the fun of ship-to-ship combat and so that GM's can craft their own Ork adversaries for the players.
  • Examples for "Rules for constructing" include, but is not limited to, such things as: new Hulls, new Complications, new Background packages, new Components, new Ship Upgrades and new Ship Roles.
  • Rules for fighting the Tyranid ships of the Dagon Hive Fleet.
  • Rules for fighting the Necron ships of the Suhbekhar Dynasty and for exploring the Slinnar Drift.
  • Rules for fighting the Tau ships of the Velk'Han Sept and for exploring The Black Reef.
  • Rules for fighting the Slaugth vessels of the whatever place they're from. The threat posed by the Worm that Walks has been hinted at since  the Dark Heresy backstory, and they've been heavily implied to exist on the Jericho side of the Warp Gate (The Jericho Reach, under the section on Hethgard in the Orpheus Salient).

If you included the basic rules for using ships so you wouldn't need the Rogue Trader Core book, then you might find interested buyers from people playing the other RPGs as well and not just Rogue Traders.

#14 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Alox said:

The answers to the first and last ones have been touched upon though, just so ya no.

In the first case, "not much", and they tend to have even less to do in settled space, since it's settled… You can't particularly find anywhere to set up shop without someone else having a claim on it too.

They don't have a whole lot of play in the Jericho Crusade either. There's a handful of Rogue Traders, and they're all there pretty much because they have good relations with the Crusade General Staff, Deathwatch, or some other Space Marine Chapter or another.

#15 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

DigitalRedneck said:

All very true!  A Ork book and an Eldar one will sell like hotcakes to starving lumberjacks tho. With the Eldar one being very very long overdue for sure. In fact in vet surprised more Eldar stuff has not been released.  This gives me hope fore a big Eldar book in the works somewhere… (I'm hoping for it too!). 

Your shared endeavor Space Marine idea is also very cool and chock full of ideas and possibilities. I just love it!

Like the Space Marine endeavor idea. Could also provide opportunity to let people actually play the Astartes too (probably Deathwatch, of course).

Though with Eldar, it's like I've always said, Dark Eldar always were the most reasonable to include from a fluff perspective, since they are absolutely mercenary, and consumate survivors. And if working with a Mon Keigh is what's required of them to get ahead in (or back in to) Commorragh society, they're not going to balk at it, because they're very comfortable with getting their hands dirty.

Craftworld Eldar and Corsairs are almost more callous and disdainful of humans in some ways. To Warlocks and Farseers humans are excellent dupes for absorbing Ork Waaaaghs! that could kill a few hundred Eldar in a century. About the only thing the Imperium and Craftworld Eldar can agree on is that Chaos is the most dire threat to the galaxy there is. And Craftworld Eldar don't tend to wander off alone, doing things like joining humans (there is some flexibility with Rangers, but they're not entirely seperate from the Craftworld either). While Corsairs see anyone non-Eldar as a source of.. fun. Their time away from the rigid structure of the Craftworlds is a time for them to let loose and explore the full range of emotions and sensation that the Eldar can experience, which can all too often result in violence. They can even 'become' Dark Eldar during this time, if they go to especially decadant lengths. The important thing though, is that it's all about them and their own pleasure and entertainment, and few would ever lower themself to palling around with a human, by all presentation in the fluff. Dark Eldar work, because as I said they are the ultimate survivors, and will stoop to pretty much any level to avoid the horrible in fate in store for them, upon death.

#16 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Emperor Castaigne said:

Rogue Trader: Jericho Reach.

• Rules for constructing Battleships.
  • Rules for constructing Strike Cruisers and Battlebarges so that Deathwatch players can join in on the fun of ship-to-ship combat and so that GM's can craft their own Astartes adversaries for the heretical/piratical/simply-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time players.
  • Rules for constructing Chaos vessels so that Black Crusade players can join in the fun of ship-to-ship combat and so that GM's can craft their own Chaos/Heretek adversaries for the players.
  • Rules for constructing Ork vessels so that Ork Freebooter players can join in the fun of ship-to-ship combat and so that GM's can craft their own Ork adversaries for the players.
  • Examples for "Rules for constructing" include, but is not limited to, such things as: new Hulls, new Complications, new Background packages, new Components, new Ship Upgrades and new Ship Roles.
  • Rules for fighting the Tyranid ships of the Dagon Hive Fleet.
  • Rules for fighting the Necron ships of the Suhbekhar Dynasty and for exploring the Slinnar Drift.
  • Rules for fighting the Tau ships of the Velk'Han Sept and for exploring The Black Reef.
  • Rules for fighting the Slaugth vessels of the whatever place they're from. The threat posed by the Worm that Walks has been hinted at since  the Dark Heresy backstory, and they've been heavily implied to exist on the Jericho side of the Warp Gate (The Jericho Reach, under the section on Hethgard in the Orpheus Salient).

If you included the basic rules for using ships so you wouldn't need the Rogue Trader Core book, then you might find interested buyers from people playing the other RPGs as well and not just Rogue Traders.

Yes!  Yesss!!! Gimmie this! 

#17 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Blood Pact said:

DigitalRedneck said:

Like the Space Marine endeavor idea. Could also provide opportunity to let people actually play the Astartes too (probably Deathwatch, of course).

Though with Eldar, it's like I've always said, Dark Eldar always were the most reasonable to include from a fluff perspective, since they are absolutely mercenary, and consumate survivors. And if working with a Mon Keigh is what's required of them to get ahead in (or back in to) Commorragh society, they're not going to balk at it, because they're very comfortable with getting their hands dirty.

Craftworld Eldar and Corsairs are almost more callous and disdainful of humans in some ways. To Warlocks and Farseers humans are excellent dupes for absorbing Ork Waaaaghs! that could kill a few hundred Eldar in a century. About the only thing the Imperium and Craftworld Eldar can agree on is that Chaos is the most dire threat to the galaxy there is. And Craftworld Eldar don't tend to wander off alone, doing things like joining humans (there is some flexibility with Rangers, but they're not entirely seperate from the Craftworld either). While Corsairs see anyone non-Eldar as a source of.. fun. Their time away from the rigid structure of the Craftworlds is a time for them to let loose and explore the full range of emotions and sensation that the Eldar can experience, which can all too often result in violence. They can even 'become' Dark Eldar during this time, if they go to especially decadant lengths. The important thing though, is that it's all about them and their own pleasure and entertainment, and few would ever lower themself to palling around with a human, by all presentation in the fluff. Dark Eldar work, because as I said they are the ultimate survivors, and will stoop to pretty much any level to avoid the horrible in fate in store for them, upon death.

Everything I have read says eldar and dark eldar used to be the same race, but have evolved seperately and no longer are. If you have some source for the eldar become dark thing, please share. My understanding though is that the ones who separate from the craftworld and go off to kill maim **** pillage and generally do whatever they feel like are called corsairs, and do not become dark eldar. Thier "way" off life makes them unwelcome back on the craftworld, unless neccessity dictates otherwise.

#18 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

It's less about evolution, apparently, and more about mindset. As the Eldar are an inherently psyhic race. The Dark Eldar have largely repressed this part of themselves, since dabbling with pyshic powers and witchery attracts daemons, which is a big no in the Dark City. And yet they still retain some connection, because they literally feed on the pain of their victims (and other extremes of sensation, but mostly pain). But according to the Forge World book featuring the Eldar, where most of our current information on Corsairs comes from, they have been known to join their ranks by basically falling down the same road that the forerunners of the original Dark Eldar did so many thousands of years ago. Their time of freedom from the structured life in the Craftworld doesn't stop, and instead of eventually returning as most do, they continue on down the road of excess.

This would seem to be the logical turning point. Where that excess and their own personal gratification becomes all consuming, until any difference between them and the original Dark Eldar becomes academic. And once they've gone that far, any sort of redemption and return to the Craftworld becomes excessively difficult, asuming it's even desired. This also seems to be partially due to an effect of She Who Thirsts upon the entire Eldar Race as well. As the Craftworld and Exodites both deny themselves in some way, in an effort to fight her pull on their very souls. The former through their almost ascetic caste society, and the latter through constant toil in tribal and early neolithic societies. The Dark Eldar however have given in to the extremes of emotion that Eldar can experience, and so now they seek to fight against Slaanesh pretty much by feeding it, constantly fighting to replenish themselves, and going to increasingly extreme lengths to do so.

So if we look at it as mindset rather than genetics, we can see where things can all go horribly wrong. Since despite all their arrogance and advanced technology, the Dark Eldar are practically in the most tenuous position of all the races in 40K, with them not only preying on all others to survive as a species, but each and every one of them in their own personal fight for survival for every moment of their gloriously miserable lives. Because they don't have the same reassurance that upon death their soul will join the Infinity Circuit or World Spirit, but will instead be devoured by a horrific Daemon-God unless they're one of the lucky few who can afford ressurection, something only available to the elite of Commorragh, which comprises even the lowest Kabalite warrior (who are at least equivalent to minor nobility). So with the stakes of survival being so high, they can ill afford to ignore any chance, no matter how truly unpleasant to fight for it.

At best, the 'switch' would take a generation or so. If the circumstances of birth are that important. But while this is all as much conjecture as it is book fluff, I have to say I can't remember seeing it said specifically anywhere that the Dark Eldar and Eldar are literally different species at this point, even within the new Dark Eldar Codex. And that the differences are more along philisophical and cultural lines.

#19 Aajz_Solari

Aajz_Solari

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

Okay, we seem to have been veering away from the actual topic of this thread.

I'd like to be more precise on my idea of the adventure supplement I'd like to see. The Koronus Expanse is uncharted territory for the most part, right? How about a campaign book about an entire crusade to claim vast swathes of the Expanse for the Emperor, with the players' Explorers as part of a whole bunch of different factions and organisations (Navy, Ecclesiarchy, Guard, Inquisition, Assassins, representatives of other Rogue Trader Dynasties, etc.), all united for a massive campaign of conquest.

In the first stages the objectives would revolve around amassing the forces, forging alliances, drawing support and acquiring all the hardware necessary: weapons, soldiers, equipment, void ships, landing craft, and so on, possibly trying to reach an agreement with a Space Marine Chapter operating nearby (looking for lost chapter relics?) or even some xenos (Kroot, Stryxis, Eldar?).

With the proper conquest campaign on its way, crusade-internal politics and conflicts could be very interesting (see also: Gaunt!), with each of all the different factions trying to get the most out of the campaign's gains and plotting against each other, trying to settle old scores or igniting new rivalries. Perhaps even the Ruinous Powers have started to corrupt the crusade's heart, increasing the internal strain.

Finally, the PCs need to save the day - and the crusade - by keeping the forces together and vanquishing all the traitors (or just incompetent drags), with the possibility of making new friends as well as new powerful rivals.

I think such a scenario would be a huge and fun sandbox allowing for countless possibilities for space fights, planetstrikes, plotting and scheming and backstabbing, shoot-outs, dungeaon crawling, looting and pillaging, in short all those things that're fun about Rogue Trader! One could integrate ties (or grudges) with Space Marines and xenos and it would also be the perfect possibility to - finally - add an Eldar PC career path in order to allow players to play a Corsair or the like who has decided to manipulate the crusade towards the goals of his corsair force/the craftworld he's in league with.

Such a book would make my wildest dreams come true…

#20 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Cryhavok said:

Blood Pact said:

DigitalRedneck said:

Everything I have read says eldar and dark eldar used to be the same race, but have evolved seperately and no longer are. If you have some source for the eldar become dark thing, please share. My understanding though is that the ones who separate from the craftworld and go off to kill maim **** pillage and generally do whatever they feel like are called corsairs, and do not become dark eldar. Thier "way" off life makes them unwelcome back on the craftworld, unless neccessity dictates otherwise.

The difference between the Eldar and Dark Eldar are in no way evolutionary. Asdrubael Vect, the de facto leader of the Dark Eldar, supposedly even witnessed The Fall.

The Dark Eldar were simply the Eldar that did not change their way after The Fall. All of the Eldar - Craftworld, Corsair, Exodite and Dark Eldar - are the same species.

Some people seem to think that the "basic" Eldar, Craftworld Eldar, regularly simply called "Eldar", are what the Eldar were before The Fall, but arguably, they are the ones that have deviated the most from the Pre-Fall culture of the Eldar as a species.

Real men earn their fun

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS