2 Y-wing, 2 X-Wing Squad Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hopefully I'm going to make it to a Kessel run event this weekend. I'm looking for some advice on my list.

I haven't played the game in a very long time so something easier to pilot would be preferable and I have never played with asteroids yet! I definitely want a 4 ship build and would like to have two y-wings (i just love the ships).

If I was ultra competitive I'd probably go 4 x-wings (i have enough ships) but if i could get a list that would give me a chance to walk away with a 4th place ship while fielding 2 y-wings that would be perfect.

So 2 Y-wings with Ions are

y-wing (18) + ion (5) = 23

Totals 46 points, leaves me with 54 points to field 2 x-wings.

x-wing rookie (21) = 21

So bare bones I'm at 67 points, leaving me 33 for a hero

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wedge Squad

y-wing (18) + ion (5) + R5 (1) = 24
x-wing rookie (21) = 21
x-wing Wedge (29) + swarm tactics (2) = 31

The thinking with fielding Wedge is to have an offensively minded list with the X-wings. Kill the important ships before they can kill you.

Wedge with swarm tactics will allow the rookie to shoot with him. Hopefully they can kill something important early. The R5's on the y-wings are there to make sure their ion cannons are never knocked out. I'm afraid though that if Wedge is taken out early then I won't have much offence. Is it worth taking Wedge without Biggs? If I fly slow with the y-wings and let them ion some ships, will this help defend Wedge?

Luke Squad

x-wing rookie (21) = 21
x-wing Luke (28) = 28

Totals 95 points.

The thinking with fielding Luke is to have a durable list. The X-wings will draw fire, hopefully Luke can last a bit longer.

There are 5 points left over to spend.

I could give Luke R2D2 and a R5 on a Y-wing.
I could give Luke swarm tactics with an R5 and give all the Y-wings R5s.
I could give Luke R2F2 with swarm tactics to have the rookie shoot with him. But I think I need to focus with my x-wing so they can kill ships.

Dutch and Garven

y-wing Dutch (23) + ion (5) + R5-K6 (2) = 30
x-wing rookie (21) = 21
x-wing Garven (26) = 26

This is a very thematic list! The idea is that Garven and Dutch give each other focus/locks.

I'm worried about how hard it would be to fly this squad as X-wings and Y-wings have different maneuver dials and I would have to keep them close. Also their pilot skills of 6 means I'm getting shot by Wedge, Luke, Vader and their swarm tactics friends.

Dutch Squad

y-wing (18) + ion (5) + R5-D8 (3) = 26
x-wing rookie (21) + R2 (1) = 22

Here the y-wings take the bulk of the points. Dutch hands out locks and his astromech helps. The Gold Squadron has R5-D8 to keep him alive. The two X-wings have R2's so they can do k-turns and fly around.

The drawback is that everyone has low pilot skill and may be dead before they can shoot.

Also what strategy should I have in regards to movement? Keep them in 2 separate groups? Y-wings fly side by side and X-wings take off to hunt enemies? Or should they all be one big blob? Is it hard to fly ships with different maneuver wheels?

#2 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

crimzonteerz said:

Hopefully I'm going to make it to a Kessel run event this weekend. I'm looking for some advice on my list.

I haven't played the game in a very long time so something easier to pilot would be preferable and I have never played with asteroids yet! I definitely want a 4 ship build and would like to have two y-wings (i just love the ships).

If I was ultra competitive I'd probably go 4 x-wings (i have enough ships) but if i could get a list that would give me a chance to walk away with a 4th place ship while fielding 2 y-wings that would be perfect.

So 2 Y-wings with Ions are

Totals 46 points, leaves me with 54 points to field 2 x-wings.

x-wing rookie (21) = 21

So bare bones I'm at 67 points, leaving me 33 for a hero

Wedge Squad

x-wing rookie (21) = 21
x-wing Wedge (29) + swarm tactics (2) = 31

The thinking with fielding Wedge is to have an offensively minded list with the X-wings. Kill the important ships before they can kill you.

Wedge with swarm tactics will allow the rookie to shoot with him. Hopefully they can kill something important early. The R5's on the y-wings are there to make sure their ion cannons are never knocked out. I'm afraid though that if Wedge is taken out early then I won't have much offence. Is it worth taking Wedge without Biggs? If I fly slow with the y-wings and let them ion some ships, will this help defend Wedge?

Luke Squad

x-wing rookie (21) = 21
x-wing Luke (28) = 28

Totals 95 points.

The thinking with fielding Luke is to have a durable list. The X-wings will draw fire, hopefully Luke can last a bit longer.

There are 5 points left over to spend.

I could give Luke R2D2 and a R5 on a Y-wing.
I could give Luke swarm tactics with an R5 and give all the Y-wings R5s.
I could give Luke R2F2 with swarm tactics to have the rookie shoot with him. But I think I need to focus with my x-wing so they can kill ships.

Dutch and Garven

x-wing rookie (21) = 21
x-wing Garven (26) = 26

This is a very thematic list! The idea is that Garven and Dutch give each other focus/locks.

I'm worried about how hard it would be to fly this squad as X-wings and Y-wings have different maneuver dials and I would have to keep them close. Also their pilot skills of 6 means I'm getting shot by Wedge, Luke, Vader and their swarm tactics friends.

Dutch Squad

y-wing (18) + ion (5) + R5-D8 (3) = 26

Here the y-wings take the bulk of the points. Dutch hands out locks and his astromech helps. The Gold Squadron has R5-D8 to keep him alive. The two X-wings have R2's so they can do k-turns and fly around.

The drawback is that everyone has low pilot skill and may be dead before they can shoot.

Also what strategy should I have in regards to movement? Keep them in 2 separate groups? Y-wings fly side by side and X-wings take off to hunt enemies? Or should they all be one big blob? Is it hard to fly ships with different maneuver wheels?

some quick doctoring:

Team Wedge: I'd take out all the astromechs and swarm tactics, put either R2D2 or R2F2+determination on Wedge

Team Luke: why not upgrade one of the Ywings to dutch with the remaining 5 points?

Team Garven: my personal favourite list actually, I highly recommend this one.

Team Dutch: not very impressive, I'd pick any of the other 3 teams over this

in a 2 Ywing team, you will come to realize that you do not nearly have as much firepower as you want to have, and the moment your Xwings start dropping you will have problems. I personally use the team Garven (and variations, eg. 3 Xwings minus R5K6 so I can get a R2D2 in or upgrade a rookie to Biggs), and I've realized that what you want to do is to make sure that your Ywings enter the fray first, so that they take the full brunt of the first range 2-3 exchange. It is ok to lose a Ywing, but not ok to lose a Xwing, unless that Ywing is Dutch (except in team Garven, since Garven is there to fill his action-giving role). You do not have to worry too much about distance because Dutch and Garven's ability extend to range 2, and that is actually a rather huge area for you to play with.

going slow is alright, TIEs would find themselves a little too fast to properly position themselves and have to constantly turn around after passing by you, which gives you ample opportunities to shoot them in the back with ions, or dispatch your Xwings to chase them, or use the time for administrative purposes like regrouping or repairing critical hit effects etc. The Ywing and Xwing do not differ too much, since they are using the exact same templates anyway, just different difficulties. Unless you are abusing your koiograns or zipping around at speed 4, you shouldn't experience any problems whatsoever.

#3 Sodapopj

Sodapopj

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have used essentially your Wedge list for a few months now. I actually won the Kessel run out in Surrey BC with that list. First your math is wrong you have 2 pts remaining. I used those points to upgrade the rookie to a red squadron. I love Y-wings. I miss the 360 degree firing arc now that I am playing a 7 tie list.

#4 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm no expert by any means having barely played any games.

But someone I know played in a Kessel Run recently and got pretty close to winning (supposedly, the one who won was cheating by bumping his figures often) with the following squad:

2 XWing Rookies with R2 astromechs and proton torpedoes - 26 each for 52
2 YWings Gold with ion cannons and R5 astromechs - 24 each for 48

I have been trying this squad myself against a Darth/Howlrunner/Obsidian squad, and the Rebels keep losing at it, partly because every TIE in this squad has a higher skill than the Rebel squad.  However, if the enemy squad has some Academy TIEs in it, at least the Rebels will be able to shoot first, a little bit.

The key with this squad is to fly well enough to prevent too many TIEs from locking on to a single target, which seems to be the main way to play this game, anyway.

Best of luck!

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds

Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles

Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

I played the other night with Wedge, Biggs, and two Gold Squadron Pilots with Ion Cannon Turrets. I find that it's more important for the X-wings to have higher skill levels because they are the primary targets your opponent will choose. If the dice aren't in your favor, this one can really bite the dust fast. Biggs doesn't have R2-F2, but even still, he managed to survive a LONG time in both games. In the end, he was the only casualty from my team. So that's another possibility for your 2-Y 2-X build.

Of the ones you suggested, I like the Garven + Dutch combo because you have two juicy targets for your opponents, which may make it difficult to dog one of them until he's dead.

As far as formation, I put them in a line with the Y-wings on the outside. It was the obvious choice for Biggs + Wedge because then Wedge was protected. For the Garven-Dutch combo, it depends on who's receiving the free Target Lock and Focus. I don't see a lot of merit in putting them in a square, though. I think the line is the way to go.

#6 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

squares are good for flying through asteroid fields and focusing fire on a single specific target.

#7 Steveisatree

Steveisatree

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I fielded

Horton Salm with Ion Cannon Turret and R2F2
Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon Turret
Rookie Pilot
Red Squadron Pilot

all up 100 points and it wiped out the imperials with everyone still alive at the end! 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS