Jump to content



Photo

Crone Hellebron and "dealt damage"


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teokrata

Teokrata

    Member

  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi

 

Some players in Poland are not sure about what happens when player attacks opposing (not burned) zone with Crone Hellebron legend for, let say 20 damage - how many damage is considered as "dealt" and how many cards can be discarded? 20? or equal to resistance of the zone?



#2 Virgo

Virgo

    Member

  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

As I understand this it's just like with units: you can assign infinite amount of damage, but only number equal to hit points will be actually dealt after applying.



#3 Entropy42

Entropy42

    Member

  • Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Virgo said:

As I understand this it's just like with units: you can assign infinite amount of damage, but only number equal to hit points will be actually dealt after applying.

I don't think that is correct.  Can you give me an example of why you think it works this way? 

The rules say:

Any unit that has as many (or more) damage tokens on it as it has hit points is destroyed (and discarded). If an attacked section of a capital is dealt damage that surpasses the number of hit points it has remaining (remember that each development in a zone adds one hit point to that section), that section is now considered burning.

Given the sections I bolded, I would say you definitely can deal 20 damage to a unit or a capital in a single attack.

You can't assign ID that surpasses the current HP of a unit/zone, but thats not the scenario here.



#4 Teokrata

Teokrata

    Member

  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

many thanks for your answer Entropy, as usual - You do an excellent job for this game !!!



#5 Virgo

Virgo

    Member

  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Entropy42 said:

 

I don't think that is correct.  Can you give me an example of why you think it works this way? 

 

 

Hit Points: The amount of damage a unit can take. If a unit has as many damage tokens as it has hit points, that unit is destroyed and is placed in its owner’s discard pile.

Q: What happens to any excess damage after a legend is destroyed?
A: Whenever a legend is attacked and destroyed, any excess damage will not be assigned to that zone or anywhere else. It is ignored, just like damage that is assigned to an already burning zone.

Why there is an excess damage when you attack legend? Shouldn't you be able to deal as much damage to it as you please?



#6 Entropy42

Entropy42

    Member

  • Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

Virgo said:

 

Entropy42 said:

 

I don't think that is correct.  Can you give me an example of why you think it works this way? 

 

 

Hit Points: The amount of damage a unit can take. If a unit has as many damage tokens as it has hit points, that unit is destroyed and is placed in its owner’s discard pile.

Q: What happens to any excess damage after a legend is destroyed?
A: Whenever a legend is attacked and destroyed, any excess damage will not be assigned to that zone or anywhere else. It is ignored, just like damage that is assigned to an already burning zone.

Why there is an excess damage when you attack legend? Shouldn't you be able to deal as much damage to it as you please?

 

 

"The amount of damage a unit can take" is just how much it can take before dying.  The use of "take" there has no bearing on how much damage can be applied to it.

Yes, you can deal as much damage to the Legend as you please, but there can still be excess damage, since you only *have* to deal enough damage to destroy it.  There is excess damage when you destroy a Legend the same way there is excess damage when you attack a zone and destroy the unit defending it.  People thought maybe the excess damage on a Legend would "trample over" to the zone, the way it does when units are defending.  That question tells you that you can't assign that extra damage anywhere else.  I think the answer probably should have been worded slightly differently though, and not say to ignore the damage.

I see how that answer would have made you think it works differently, but the section of the rulebook I quoted is very clear that you can deal damage that exceeds the current HP of a unit or zone.

I'll put that Q/A on the list of things to bug Lukas about in the next FAQ though.



#7 Junglecat

Junglecat

    Member

  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

So if I'm understanding this correctly, 20 dmg IS dealt to the zone but only…let's say 6…was applied because that's all the zone had for remaining hit points. So 20 cards are discarded form the deck? What if you attacked an already burning zone with Crone Helbron for 20 power - same scenario?



#8 Mallumo

Mallumo

    Member

  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

You cannot assign any damage to a burning zone, so that doesn't work.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS