Chaugnar Faugn killed in combat!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

I think this have to be the most epic Arkham Horror game I have played yet.

I can't belive I did it. I beat Chaugnar Faugn in Final Battle.

The boring part is that I was solo-playing, so I have no one to share my joy with… well, except for you guys ;)

I played with every expansion except MH and had 6 investigators: Monterey, Amanda, Norman, Lily, Tommy and Rita.

First I tried to seal as normal, but with some setbacks I had only sealed 3 locations when the doomtrack was almost completely full. I then realised that I would be really lucky to seal those final 3 locations before the AO awoke, so I tried to go for a closing-win instead. At the same time I was trying to gear up for final-combat to, and with all clue-tokens saved from not-sealing gates, I thought I could have a chance against the AO.

Actually I was really, really close to a closing all gates victory. Monterey was trying to close the absolute last one, but failed with all 3 dies.

At the Mythos face a new Gate opened and Chaugnar Faugn awoke.

The things that made me defeat him was:

1. Lilys Personal Story. 2 Doomtokens was removed at the start.

2. Sealing the Beasts Power. It was really good that I wasted time with this mission :)

3. Monterey buying all Magical Weapons he could find at the Curiosity Shop.

Also Lily and Rita had 12 clues each so they lasted for 4 rounds. And I can say that they needed it. The fight was down to the last round. All other Investigators was already devoured except those two fine ladies. The Elephant God had only 2 doomtokens left. I needed 12 hits….

Rita goes first… rolls 6 hits.

Then Lily…. rolls 5 hits with 10 dies. 3 dies left to roll… Need one more hit… 1 hit!!! 

I'm flying out of the chair chearing! :D

Honestly, I would never have made it without Lilys PS and Sealing the Beasts Power-mission. I was really hard. I can't even imagine how hard it will be playing with Epic-Battle cards… And no, I didn't use them, It's hard enough without them. But maybee the next time ;) 

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Congratulations!  As someone who solo plays 4 Investigators quite often…it's tough when you have no one with whom you can share the victory.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks.

Yeah, I know. When I have friends over we only play 1 investigator each, and I usually only have one or two friends over at the time.

And when we play 2-3 investigators we often lose, so playing those 6 investigator-solo games have really made wonders to my morale ;)

#4 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Congrats Nidhögg!

Chaugnar Faugn isn't an easy one to take down!  I often play solo so I understand the feeling of not having anyone to share the feeling of winning with.  At least my girlfriend is sympathetic when she isn't playing!  I have a game coming up against Chaugnar Faugn soon so wish me luck!  Did you log your victory in the Arkham Horror Statistics sheet yet?  Thanks for sharing with us and congrats again! pillo

#5 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Full Doom Track said:

Congrats Nidhögg!

Chaugnar Faugn isn't an easy one to take down!  I often play solo so I understand the feeling of not having anyone to share the feeling of winning with.  At least my girlfriend is sympathetic when she isn't playing!  I have a game coming up against Chaugnar Faugn soon so wish me luck!  Did you log your victory in the Arkham Horror Statistics sheet yet?  Thanks for sharing with us and congrats again! pillo

Thanks!

Yes I did report it to the statistics sheet.

Good luck to you taking on Chaugnar Faugn. Hope you defeat him before final combat, because he's tough!

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Impressive! Very well done! Now that you killed your avatar, you need another face ::laughter::

Anyway… interesting to notice that whenever Monterey can fail, he fails…

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Julia said:

Impressive! Very well done! Now that you killed your avatar, you need another face ::laughter::

Anyway… interesting to notice that whenever Monterey can fail, he fails…

Don't be to hard on poor Monterey. At least he managed to contribute to the game by finding a Yithian Rifle and a Golden Sword of Y'ha-Talla at the shop :)

#8 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nicely done! The skin-of-the-teeth victories are the best ones. And all expansions except Miskatonic? That must have required quite the table space. Plus, the card piles must have been rather big. And quite a lot of different game effects in play over the course of the game.

#9 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Nidhögg said:

Don't be to hard on poor Monterey. At least he managed to contribute to the game by finding a Yithian Rifle and a Golden Sword of Y'ha-Talla at the shop :)

::laughter:: yeah, sorry, it's something personal between me and him (I've always had an incredible bad luck every time I played him…)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#10 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

eiterorm said:

Nicely done! The skin-of-the-teeth victories are the best ones. And all expansions except Miskatonic? That must have required quite the table space. Plus, the card piles must have been rather big. And quite a lot of different game effects in play over the course of the game.

Hehe, yeah I have put two tables together to make the necessary space for the expansion-boards. The card piles on the other hand doesn't become that large as I groom them quite a bit after I have shuffled them.

And all the different game-effects are often nothing to worry about. There is just the Rift-track in Kingsport to keep an eye on. The other boards are a bit to diluted I think…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS