Flying monsters and expansion boards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Happy New Year all - hope this question hasn't been asked before.

I was playing a solo match (me running 3 characters) with Innsmouth the other day, and I finally remembered to post about it.

Monster Limit was 6. Outskirts Limit was 5.  No limits in Innsmouth, where I placed a couple of flying monsters during a surge.

The flying monsters (both Nightgaunts) moved. 

The rules normally say that if a flier has noone around them, they'll move to the Sky. But the Sky is normally considered against the Monster Limit.

So result was that 2 monsters that didn't count in Innsmouth, now count in Arkham. whether they go to the Sky (where I put them) or the Outskirts. So I'm 2 over the Monster Limit in Arkham and no penalty (other than 2 more fliers to jump on anyone in a Street Area).

Anyone know what I should have done here?

Thanks

#2 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I should clarify by saying I was AT the Monster Limit (6 in Arkham/Sky) and Outskirts Limit (5).

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi there!

quoting the FAQ (pag 12):

Q: If the number of monsters in Arkham is at the monster limit, and a monster that is on an expansion board moves to the Sky, what happens to that monster?
A: The monster is moved to the Outskirts. The Sky is considered part of Arkham, so a monster moving to the Sky from an expansion board counts against the monster limit.

Hope this helps!

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Monsters moving from an expansion board with no limit such as the Innsmouth board to the sky are then subject to the same rules as the monster in Arkham (ie Monster Limit).  Sounds like you exposed yourself to a bit too much pain there since if you were already AT the monster limit, new fliers arriving in the sky would immediately be sent to the outskirts instead of circling to grab the nearest investigator.

Of course, you do mention that they were both Nightgaunts?  Depending on your situation it's almost advantageous to have a few of them flapping around.

Arkham Horror Complete FAQ, pg 12 Bottom left.  "If the number of monster in Arkham is at the monster limit,…."

Hope this helps!

#5 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Ah, the FAQ. You know, I sure could have looked at that again - especially after downloading the new one - but for some reason I avoided it.

Thanks both

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS