Having 2 Titles

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BakaKitty

BakaKitty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

What happens when you simul control 2 titles?

Do you get to use them simultanously? (ie: having kingsguard and crown regent gives u +3 power and +3 military?)

or can you only use one at a time, and you need to declare it? If so, when can you switch them around?

#2 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

You can use both titles at the same time.  No need to declare anything except when you trigger their special effect(redirection for example).

#3 BakaKitty

BakaKitty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

thanks bomb! could you please point meat the part of the rule book that supports this? So that i could learn and show my friends

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

There is no part of the rule book that "supports" this because having two titles is something that is completely driven by card effects, not the rules. AGoT is such a dynamic game that it would be impossible to anticipate all possible interactions and define them carefully in the rules.

The absence of anything specifically putting a limitation on "title #1" if you also happen to have "title #2" is the key to this. And really, the titles don't interact with one another, so it's hard to imagine how, having Lord Commander giving +3 during military challenges, for example, should somehow prevent Crown Regent from giving you +3 during power challenges. It's not like the two of them are trying to do something at the same time.

About the only way that titles interact with each other is through the "Supports" and "Opposes" mechanic, and since you cannot challenge yourself, having two titles isn't going to be a problem there, either.

#5 BakaKitty

BakaKitty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

We had a scenario here in melee:

A player had Crown regent and Master of Law.

I had Across the Summer Sea. 

The 3rd Player has Kingsguard Commander.

The 4th Player, taking Master of Coin, declared a challenge on the 3rd player (Kingsguard). The first player uses Crown Regent's power. What happens?

Does 

A) He cannot redirect the attack because there are no other legal players? (ie: both titles are in effect simultanously, so Coin supports Law, even though he's using Crown at that moment)

b) Crown is in effect, so he can redirect the challenge to the Crown Regent.

c) He used crown's effect, then is able to switch to the Master of Law to 'null' the crown's effect.

#6 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

well, what title did you have? The text of "Across the Summer Sea" says that you cannot initiate challenges or have them initiated against you. If the attack is being redirected, I am of the understanding that the Summer Sea player is an eligible target for the redirect because the challenge was not initiated against that player. I may be in the wrong on this particular issue, but have had the Kingsguard title with this plot and successfully redirected an unopposed military to myself for this very reason.

To more directly answer your question, if you are not, in fact a valid target, due to your plot, then the crown would do nothing. You cannot "switch between titles" in this way. You have both, so P1 is both supported by master of coin and has the ability to redirect. Once you have the title(s), you can't pick and chose which ones are in effect at that precise moment…. so A)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

stormwolf27 said:

well, what title did you have? The text of "Across the Summer Sea" says that you cannot initiate challenges or have them initiated against you. If the attack is being redirected, I am of the understanding that the Summer Sea player is an eligible target for the redirect because the challenge was not initiated against that player. I may be in the wrong on this particular issue, but have had the Kingsguard title with this plot and successfully redirected an unopposed military to myself for this very reason.
You are incorrect. Crown Regent's redirect takes place as part of initiating the challenge. The challenge is considered initiated against the new defender. Lord Commander's redirect happens well after the initiation is over and done with. The timing of their redirects are vastly different, so what applies to one will rarely apply directly to the other.

stormwolf27 said:

To more directly answer your question, if you are not, in fact a valid target, due to your plot, then the crown would do nothing. You cannot "switch between titles" in this way. You have both, so P1 is both supported by master of coin and has the ability to redirect. Once you have the title(s), you can't pick and chose which ones are in effect at that precise moment…. so A)
It's like having a card with more than one House affiliation. You can never say Brienne is "just" a Stark character, completely ignoring the Baratheon affiliation that is also printed on the card. She is always as much a Baratheon character as she is a Stark character.

Similarly, the guy with two titles was always as much Master of Law as he was Crown Regent - having all benefits and drawbacks of both cards at the same time.

#8 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

ktom said:

stormwolf27 said:

You are incorrect. Crown Regent's redirect takes place as part of initiating the challenge. The challenge is considered initiated against the new defender. Lord Commander's redirect happens well after the initiation is over and done with. The timing of their redirects are vastly different, so what applies to one will rarely apply directly to the other.

My mistake. I didn't know one way or the other on the Crown Regent, cause I've only had the Kingsguard/Summer Sea scenario. Thanks for the clarification.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#9 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Uhh… Did I miss it or did someone say the answer is A?

I'm pretty sure the answer is A. LoL.

#10 Shadowcatx

Shadowcatx

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

The answer is indeed A. 

#11 BakaKitty

BakaKitty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! You guys won a prize!

j/k!

But thanks for helping with the questions ^_^  I'll post more questions once we encounter them in our play group.

BTW, anybody up for trades? Drop me a PM!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS