Ship Combat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 floworcrash

floworcrash

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, but I'm new to the game and have some questions in regards to ship combat. I tried to search the forums to no avail.

In the rule book, I only see combat examples pertaining to LAND UNITS only. Does that mean ships cannot engage in combat? Also:

- Can Ships support land units? Or does that require a port? If so, I know the port is considered a seperate entity from the land it's connected to, so support from land would need to come from a SUPPORT ORDER correct?

Thank you for your help, I hope I'm not too confusing…. 

#2 Eremite

Eremite

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Ships fight one another like land units do (each is strength one), complete with support from other seas and the use of hero cards. They can support land combats provided the territory has a coast touching the sea they're in ,and they can raids to land as well. They cannot attack land, nor be attacked from land (ship can't sail throuh dirt, armies can't swim at sea). Land support does not affect ships, nor land raids. Effectively, a ship can raid coasts or provide reinforcements, but an army can't be expected to swim out to deal with boats. You cannot play a consolidate power order on ships, nor pay to own a sea. It's a sea, after all. There are no locals to provide wealth or swear fealty. 

Ports are a little weird. Ships in port can attack, raid and support the neighbouring sea. The port can't be taken by ships, but if the area the port is in (say Lannisport, or Winterfell) is taken the ships are swapped for those of the occupier. They mainly exist to allow you to retake your seas. They are given orders seperately.  If a special consoliodate is played on the land territory ships may be mustered into the port (in addition to whenever a Mustering card appears).

#3 ArcticPangolin

ArcticPangolin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

As per page 13 of the rulebook, "Consolidate Power Orders placed on sea areas have no effect, but may still be placed". These orders can also be pillaged by neighbouring opponents' boats Raid orders. This issue only really comes up when you have many regions with units, as each region you control is required to have a legal order placed in it, unless you have run out. In this situation it is usually best to place the Consolidate Power orders in safer areas.

Consolidate Power orders placed on ship/s in a port will gain you a power token, as long as there are no other house's ships in the connected sea region when the order is resolved. When the Game of Thrones Westeros card to collect power for the crowns in your realm comes up, you also collect one power for each port containing at least one of your ships, again as long as the connected sea region does not contain any other house's ships. These rules are on Page 25.

#4 floworcrash

floworcrash

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

I really appreciate the help guys! 

#5 ArcticPangolin

ArcticPangolin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

You're very welcome!  :)

#6 WolfStory

WolfStory

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I think the rule about ships not being able to attack land is a bit unrealistic, no? Surely cannons can be steered towards land just as easy as another ship. Any 'house rules' out yet about this?

Oh and this is my first post on the boards! :) <waves>

#7 kauai1964

kauai1964

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

There are no cannons in Westeros.  No muskets either.

#8 Joeyk1985

Joeyk1985

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

You have to remember that the order is actually not an "attack" order but a "march" order…

So, the answer is no, ships cannot MARCH into land ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS