• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Gantz the slaughterer

Gantz the slaughterer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Hi All,

in many raffiguration I see many space marines with power fist, wielding a melee like axe or sword….

so in this case I can decide if I want to use the power fist or I can use the axe?

if I use the axe I suppose with:

damage 1d10-8e (standard power axe damage)

gaining the x3 unnatural str bonus (from power fist)

and change from unbalanced to unwieldy (from power fist).

what do you think about?

cheers

#2 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Not at all…

You can use your powerfist with S bonus x 3 or your axe with your normal S bonus.

But you can not wield your axe with the fist.

Have fun!

#3 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

It's power fist or a melee weapon. Not both.

#4 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't know myself…

I can understand the desire to keep it simple (but I'll restate my line: its an RPG, there should be nothing simple about it), and I for one can easily see how munchkins can take it to the extreme. Which is an indicator of the SB+dam system perhaps being a bit too easy to abuse.

But the power fist does provide: a +1 to unatural strength pretty much as long as the fist has power, always ready to use, and can count as unarmed as well as armed (though its unwieldy, rightly so).

I can see how a fist could be used to wield another weapon. Example: a battle brother in my Chaplain's kill-team fired metal storm rounds into melee, then rightous furied taking off my character's arm (wielding the crozius). With no other arm to wield the crozius for the rest of the mission the chaplain used it in his power fist.

Now, I'm not a power-gaming munchkin so I'd not abuse the combo, but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility. It would only be 3-5 more damage in most cases anyways, but anyone abusing the combo in any of my campaigns would soon find all his weapon's suddenly shaft's suddenly breaking in the middle of combat from the stress the extra strength of the fist gives it. Just like a librarian abusing certain psyker powers would find himself besieged by a sudden acute daemonic intrest and attention from the warp for a while.

#5 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Powerfist can't wield anything exept when shut down and only big things can be grab.

So even if you use your Power fist hand to wield your weapon you won't have the strenght bonus because it is shut down.

If you activate your power fist then the weapon wield will be crushed and never to be used again.

#6 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thats a really simplistic and, quite honestly, poorly thought out argument. You mean to say whenever the power fist has power running through it your hand is stuck in a death grip of rage? You have to turn it off before you can climb a ladder, grab a ledge, grapple an opponent, or pick anything up? Otherwise your hand is stuck in a closed vice grip?

Sorry, no. That makes no sense at all. Besides the fact your fingers don't need to be super strong to punch someone with super strength, once you turn off the power you wouldn't even be able to open the fingers. Unless of course you mutate your fist to be giant sized, power fists use a waldo system. They aren't gloves. No power = no movement at all.

Using a waldo system, which includes force feedback, a marine would more than easily be able to regulate the amount of force and strength he is using at any point.

So you contend a marine who takes a power fist is not allowed to use that hand at all as long as the power fist is attached? What's the point of having a strength enhancing hand if it doesn't enhance your strength? What about marines tearing apart walls or other items with power fists? Do you really insist its just a weak version of a thunderhammer (at the same cost)? It doubles your strength (2 x 1d10 unarmed damage =/= 2d10? wait, what?) or adds to your unnatural strength… except when you want to use it for strength? Nope, none of that makes sense.

#7 SomVone

SomVone

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I would imagine the reason you can't use the hand while the Power fist has its powerfield up has something to do with the violent concussive reaction the powerfist has with matter it touches. It would be like holding an axe with exploding Krak grenades. If you shut the fist off, I'd treat it like a mono unwieldy club, and allow its use to hold other weapons. There would be some kind of penalty, probably just the -20 hard to hold things one. The added strength multiplier wouldn't happen, as that is the way a power fists overcharged power field is written into the rules. No powerfield, no multiplier.

#8 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Fairly certain a fist 3 times the size of a normal one and filled with added hydralic and muscle fiber materials will be stronger than your average ham hock.

#9 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

A Power Fist cannot be used for anything other than its intended purpose. Attempting to use something in an active power fist will just result in the destruction of whatever that thing is.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#10 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

herichimo said:

Fairly certain a fist 3 times the size of a normal one and filled with added hydralic and muscle fiber materials will be stronger than your average ham hock.

Im fairly certain that a mechanical fist three times the size and power of a normal one and covered in a field of destructive energy is going to be too unwieldy to manipulate something, and would destroy it if you tried. However, you could have your techmarine design and begin field testing a strength amplifying arm that could wield a weapon like you are describing… But a powerfist wont work for it.

#11 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

cryhavoc, HBMC, somvone, bigjul, and decessor seem to have it right - when the power field is activated, the powerfist is a fist of doom to whatever it touches…….non-activated, sure you can hold and wield objects in it, like a nice normal gauntlet.  But not in combination.  No no.

#12 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

So, you can't touch anything with an active power fist without damaging it? So a marine holding his bolter in one hand and having a fist for his other cannot open a hatch or climb a ladder? What about using the fist to carry a injured marine? That really limits the movement of any marine wearing it. 

#13 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

indeed when your powerfist (who is a weapon, and a deadly one btw) is powered you can not open a hatch (you could tear it out of the wall) or climb a ladder usng this hand. As for your fellow SM you won't lift him with this hand neither.

Now if you are sad that a so powerfull weapon isn't that easy to use in an everyday life ask yourself why you put a tank opener on your hand if the only thing you wanna do with this hand is mast*******.

Maybe it is also time for all of you to read the weapon description in the book.

Or maybe you could answer me that one if i fix my powerfist on the weapon of a titan Imperatror does it get US  bonuses when the Imperator hit something????

Please one weapon per hand is really a maximun, powerfist is a weapon so yes you use the power fist or just don't take it.

#14 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Thebigjul said:

indeed when your powerfist (who is a weapon, and a deadly one btw) is powered you can not open a hatch (you could tear it out of the wall) or climb a ladder usng this hand. As for your fellow SM you won't lift him with this hand neither.

Now if you are sad that a so powerfull weapon isn't that easy to use in an everyday life ask yourself why you put a tank opener on your hand if the only thing you wanna do with this hand is mast*******.

Maybe it is also time for all of you to read the weapon description in the book.

Or maybe you could answer me that one if i fix my powerfist on the weapon of a titan Imperatror does it get US  bonuses when the Imperator hit something????

Please one weapon per hand is really a maximun, powerfist is a weapon so yes you use the power fist or just don't take it.

Strange… Because in the Deathwatch core p155 it says the Power Fist has same restrictions as lightining claws do. On p 154 it says no ranged weapons other than thrown. And a -20 penalty to actions requiring manual dexterity. So I guess you can hold stuff with a power fist after all…

#15 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'm going to assume the obvious and say that logically you can turn off the field the fist generates while not turning off the entire fist. Especially in light of rules posted above… And cuz having marines hanging onto Rinos and whatnot with their fist while shooting is just kick ass. 

#16 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I'm pretty sure a power fist's power field and enhanced strength must be activated simultaneously; it's either 'on' (both effects active) or not (the 'standard' power flow makes it a normal gauntlet- but with penalties for size). I've seen pictures of 'inactive' power fists holding stuff, but I've never seen any reference anywhere of a power fist being able to increase strength without also activating the destructive power field.

#17 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Adeptus-B said:

I'm pretty sure a power fist's power field and enhanced strength must be activated simultaneously; it's either 'on' (both effects active) or not (the 'standard' power flow makes it a normal gauntlet- but with penalties for size). I've seen pictures of 'inactive' power fists holding stuff, but I've never seen any reference anywhere of a power fist being able to increase strength without also activating the destructive power field.

I agree I have not seen any rules either way. But the rules for it in DW core indicate you can carry stuff like the claws can. Says use same rules. The info about claws says you retract claws before handling stuff. Based on that I'd have to rule that you can power down the fist in some way. If not it would be difficult to even stand next to another marine for fear of bumping them and incidentally damaging them. And that's just silly. 

Anything in Erratta or old school WD mags that could posdibly clear this up better? 

#18 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

come on!  use yer heads, people!  this isn't about min/maxing yer way to the uberestest of uberest goon weapons!!  If you want to powerfist yer way thru everything, play as a dreadnought….ooh, or better yet, be a Titan!  that oughta get ya off!  Cause yer right, power fist be dumb unless i can make it even more powerful….sheesh!

As for table top gaming, the models would have a power fist (alone) in one hand….the only exception is a pair of master-crafted powerfists with bolters built into them; it's unique and belongs to te emaster of macragge…..and that's it…..so sorry….

now, having said all that, if you wanna do what you wanna do in your game, go for it!  have fun with it!  but it ain't in the spirit of the 40k setting, so canon-monkeys like me won't approve of it 'officially'….

#19 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Zappiel said:

come on!  use yer heads, people!  this isn't about min/maxing yer way to the uberestest of uberest goon weapons!!  If you want to powerfist yer way thru everything, play as a dreadnought….ooh, or better yet, be a Titan!  that oughta get ya off!  Cause yer right, power fist be dumb unless i can make it even more powerful….sheesh!

As for table top gaming, the models would have a power fist (alone) in one hand….the only exception is a pair of master-crafted powerfists with bolters built into them; it's unique and belongs to te emaster of macragge…..and that's it…..so sorry….

now, having said all that, if you wanna do what you wanna do in your game, go for it!  have fun with it!  but it ain't in the spirit of the 40k setting, so canon-monkeys like me won't approve of it 'officially'….

I have already quoted the rules straight from Deathwatch core that says you can hold things with the fist. Can't use ranged weapons and fine manipulation tasks are at a -20 penalty. Look on p155. So why am I getting **** from "cannon monkeys" exactly?

#20 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

DigitalRedneck said:

Zappiel said:

come on!� use yer heads, people!� this isn't about min/maxing yer way to the uberestest of uberest goon weapons!!� If you want to powerfist yer way thru everything, play as a dreadnought�.ooh, or better yet, be a Titan!� that oughta get ya off!� Cause yer right, power fist be dumb unless i can make it even more powerful�.sheesh!

As for table top gaming, the models would have a power fist (alone) in one hand�.the only exception is a pair of master-crafted powerfists with bolters built into them; it's unique and belongs to te emaster of macragge�..and that's it�..so sorry�.

now, having said all that, if you wanna do what you wanna do in your game, go for it!� have fun with it!� but it ain't in the spirit of the 40k setting, so canon-monkeys like me won't approve of it 'officially'�.

I have already quoted the rules straight from Deathwatch core that says you can hold things with the fist. Can't use ranged weapons and fine manipulation tasks are at a -20 penalty. Look on p155. So why am I getting **** from "cannon monkeys" exactly?

You know I recently looked at the description of a powerfist in the DW core book, and it makes no mention of any strength enhancing gear in the fist itself. It talks about how the enhanced powerfield on it is so strong the weapon underneath is irrelevant. This leads me to believe that it is less of a strength enhancing fist and more like a fist shaped lightsaber, with the destructive effect of the field enhancing the effects of your strength on a blow. This leads me to continue believing that a powerfist with its field deactived does not enhance strength bonus to damage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS