Beware of Hotz Matz

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I have finally recieved my Hotz star double sided mat yesterday. When I made the order, after they cleared the payment and confirmed the order, they told me to wait at least 5 weeks but I should get it MUCH sooner, believe it or not I recieved my mat exactly 10 weeks on the dot after I recieved that email.

Besides that, I also ordered it as rolled in a tube as my shipping cost and paid an additional 10 dollar fee for that. Needless to say they couldn't even follow that and sent it folded instead.

I understand mistakes happen, but their customer service is also absolutely disgusting, the entire ordeal from ordering it, to asking for shipping / tracking numbers, to trying to figure out everything else, it took me DAYS sometimes even a full week, just to get a reply on a simple question or order detail corrected.

While the quality of the mat is half decent, I don't like that they're spraying their logo on the bottom of my mat either, I ordered a space playmat for a more realistic feel to my game, not so that my x-wing will fly past a "Hotz Matz" logo floating near the gravitational pull of Tattoine. I feel I could have ordered a mat anywhere else for the same quality, and better service.

TLDR; took them 10 weeks to deliver my mat, ignored my shipping while charging me 10$ more for it, and their response / customer service is god awful.

When making a purchase from them expect purchasing it to take at least 1-2 weeks, recieving it 10weeks, and then have your shipping downgraded.

#2 Rowdy

Rowdy

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Sorry to hear that man, if anything gets up my skirt its lousy customer service. I was going to suggest a refund on shipping (its a new ship) but that will likely take 1-2 weeks before they acknowledge it and then stuff it up by sending you only five Pesos.

I hope others read this and are aware of dodgey retailers.

My mat is a 3x4 sheet of MFD, painted black and speckled white for stars, simple and smooth.

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Gale force nine is making what appears to be good mats, though admittedly I have not yet seen them personally just photos on line. I have ordered thier stuff before for other mini games and have never been disappointed. 

• SteveSpikes likes this

#4 Vespula

Vespula

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

Flames of War has a mat that looks like the surface of the Deathstar.

http://www.flamesofw...&ProductID=5221

#5 CarWashKid

CarWashKid

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

That is a bumer about Hitz Matz.  They look very cool online (I've never ordered or seen one in person).  

I did pick up a yard of this:

http://www.walmart.c...-Black/21668317

for playing x-wing.  I weighted down the corners and edges with magnets and it has worked out pretty well.  Id prefer a thicker surface that feels more like a mouse pad, but this was cheap and it  beats having the ships slide around with the slightest tough on the wood table.  

#6 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

I have the GF9/Flames of War star map and it is great quality, comes in a carry tube all nicely rolled up.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#7 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Harleequin said:

I have finally recieved my Hotz star double sided mat yesterday. When I made the order, after they cleared the payment and confirmed the order, they told me to wait at least 5 weeks but I should get it MUCH sooner, believe it or not I recieved my mat exactly 10 weeks on the dot after I recieved that email.

Besides that, I also ordered it as rolled in a tube as my shipping cost and paid an additional 10 dollar fee for that. Needless to say they couldn't even follow that and sent it folded instead.

I understand mistakes happen, but their customer service is also absolutely disgusting, the entire ordeal from ordering it, to asking for shipping / tracking numbers, to trying to figure out everything else, it took me DAYS sometimes even a full week, just to get a reply on a simple question or order detail corrected.

While the quality of the mat is half decent, I don't like that they're spraying their logo on the bottom of my mat either, I ordered a space playmat for a more realistic feel to my game, not so that my x-wing will fly past a "Hotz Matz" logo floating near the gravitational pull of Tattoine. I feel I could have ordered a mat anywhere else for the same quality, and better service.

TLDR; took them 10 weeks to deliver my mat, ignored my shipping while charging me 10$ more for it, and their response / customer service is god awful.

When making a purchase from them expect purchasing it to take at least 1-2 weeks, recieving it 10weeks, and then have your shipping downgraded.

My experience mirrors yours.  It took around 9 weeks for me to get mine, and I ordered it to be rolled, but they folded it instead.  When people ask about my mat I tell them to go someplace else.

#8 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I have ordered from Hotz twice in recent history and a few times prior to that also.  I've never had a problem

Enimo Et Fide

#9 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

CarWashKid said:

That is a bumer about Hitz Matz.  They look very cool online (I've never ordered or seen one in person).  

for playing x-wing.  I weighted down the corners and edges with magnets and it has worked out pretty well.  Id prefer a thicker surface that feels more like a mouse pad, but this was cheap and it  beats having the ships slide around with the slightest tough on the wood table.  

would a spray adhesive work to a 1/4" piece of foam board from Staples? It might give you the mouse pad feel, but not foldable.

#10 CarWashKid

CarWashKid

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

jetsetter said:

CarWashKid said:

would a spray adhesive work to a 1/4" piece of foam board from Staples? It might give you the mouse pad feel, but not foldable.

Ships were still sliding on the Walmart star fabric because its made of polyester.  It wasnot as bad as playing on a wood table, but still not great.  I picked up a 36" x 60" roll of craft foam (about 1/8" thick) from Michael's for $8.  Totally stopped the sliding issue.  I'm flattening it and using a silver paint pen to give it some sci-fi flair.  Good to go.  

#11 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

I'm rather happy with my HotzMat. I did hear bad things about their delivery times before, and assumed that it'd take 3-4 months. It did.

The quality of the mat is good, playing on it feels great. It's single-sided though, and larger than any game I'd want to play on it, so the logo on the bottom doesn't bother me.

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#12 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

I built mine into a table I already had for gaming:

Just black paint, a few spots and a bit of glitter.  Oh and 40 LEDs attached to the underside of the table with holes to shine the light through.  Seemingly a lot less hassle than a Hotzmat.

#13 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I like the LEDs!  We already use some halhemisphere planets on mechanical rotating bases on our boards.  They give the visual of a planets rotation.  We were considering building a new table with a airbrushed plexiglass surface and fiber optic lights for a starfield but with a pulsing color change.

Enimo Et Fide

#14 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Now I'm worried, I only ordered mine the other week, didn't know they had a bad rep.

#15 Jean51

Jean51

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hello,

I am new to this forum.  This is my first post.  I have a 6 X 4 mat from Monday Knight Productions.  It is a good quality product.  And they have them in a 3X3 format.  I have put the link below.  They have pictures of there mat.  What you see is what you get.  Shipping is okay and quicker than most.

Jean

http://www.mondaykni...Index-Mats.html

#16 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

I also have a mat from Monday Knight, it is okay for the money but the Hotz is far better quality IMHO.  I'm keeping my Hotz mats but giving away the MK mat that I bought (sorry it is sea not space).  Just my $0.02

Enimo Et Fide

#17 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

Keep your sea mat in case there is a "Battle of Kamino" scenario published. :)

Be seeing you.

#18 Guibs

Guibs

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Funny how things are. Ordered a mat from hotz 3 weeks ago, as soon as I ordered I sent him an email to ask about delivery, got a reply the next day telling me that he was making some the following week and I should receive mine within the 3 weeks, probably sooner.

Well it's been 3 weeks, sent him 2 more emails and I am yet to receive a reply. I googled their name with delivery delay and I get here, how ironic. If I had known about those really long delays, I would have ordered elsewhere. Since I am Canadian, I wanted to encourage him but now regretting it.

I also paid extra to have it rolled in a tube. They better not ship it folded to me. Considering bringing him some bad rep with PayPal since I paid with it. I am going to give him a little more time to reply and give me a delivery eta.
  • Logic likes this

#19 Logic

Logic

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

sonofabitch. i just ordered a mat from them 2 days ago. i wish i saw this post sooner.

-I don't want to know your name. All I want is BANG BANG BANG!

#20 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

I sent a request and a second a few weeks later - That was last year, I never heard back.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS