Rebel Expose list

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I wanted to build a list for Wedge and give him Expose, and minimize the draw backs.  This is first take on the list, and I think this will be a fun list to play.

Wedge (29) + R2-D2 (4) + Epose (4) + Shield Upgrade (4) 41pts
Biggs (25) + R2-F2 (3) + Stealth Device (3) 31pts
Dutch (23) + Ion Cannon (5) 28pts

100pts total.

Biggs draws fire, and protects Wedge from the -1 defense, and with 4 agility he's going to last a lot longer.  Dutch gives Wedge a Target Lock which will make Wedge that much nastier.  I gave Wedge an Extra shield and R2-D2 to help keep him around after Biggs Falls.  With this list Wedge should be hitting even the hardest targets, and making that much easier for Biggs or Dutch to finish off. 

#2 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I like the list alot …..but 3 ship Rebel builds just don't hold up well.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#3 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

This is a very solid build, especially for 3 ships. Biggs will lose Stealth, and will go down. Wedge with Shield Upgrade and R2D2 will be very hard to kill, if not fairly predictable. I think beefed up Biggs will keep the other 2 alive until time runs out, so just make sure you kill more than 31 points of your opponent's squad.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#4 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

BigDogg said:

I mostly play 3 ship rebel builds and so far I've done very well with them.  At my local Kessel Run I won with a 3 ship build.  The loses that I have had when I run only 3 ships tends to fall behind very quickly after the first ship fails, so it is risky.  Looking at how things will shake down when wave 2 is available, I don't expect to see many Tie Swarms.  I think we will see a lot of ships with Stealth devices.  2 attack just isn't going to be good enough to get through some of these high agility ships.  That's why I think Expose on Wedge will be a big deal.  Being able to subtract a defense and roll extra dice is great.  If I can't kill the ship, I should at least be able to take out there stealth, and then let Biggs and Dutch do the finishing blow.

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I was gonna just pass on by, but I have to say that this list looks great! I'd love to see how it plays.

I have recently converted from 3- to 4-ship Rebel builds because previously I had limited resources, and as Princess Leia says, "It's risky, but we don't have much choice." I think 3-ship Rebel builds are loads of fun because I have more invested (points-wise and emotionally) in each ship.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

BigDogg said:

They'll work better in Wave 2 than in Wave 1. You can make your ships individually harder to kill, and the typical list size is likely to be smaller--so you won't be as vulnerable to the attrition game, and you're less likely to face it.

This won't surprise mrfroggies, but I have a variation on the same idea. It starts like this:

• Wedge (29) + Expose (4)
  • Biggs (25) + R2-F2 (3) + Stealth (3)
  • Dutch (23) + Ion Cannon (5)

That leaves me with 8 points to spread around. I had previously planned on putting R5-K6 and a Shield Modification on Dutch, plus a generic R5 on Wedge, but it occurred to me this morning that I could just throw Torpedoes on Wedge and Dutch and hope for good rolls. Ideas?

#7 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

I like these lists a lot. I don't know how they would play out in a tournament, for example, but they would be very fun for sure to play in my usual environment, at home. :)

I think they look very strong, especially for a 3-ship rebel build. I  would go so far as to say they are stronger than any 3-ship rebel build from only Wave 1.

The only thing that I would say regarding the strength of this list in competitive play is, it's too early to say what will it will be facing.

The Wave 2 cards and ships open up the possibilities of squad building so much, that there should be a huge variety of list types to consider if you were playing a tournament. Wave 1 had only a half dozen basic build types with minor variations, so that you could talk about this list vs. a swarm, or this list vs. an elite imperial, or this list vs. a 3- or 4- ship Rebel build in fairly generic terms. With the greater variety of upgrades, abilities, and ship types, speaking so generically about broad categories of lists will be even less useful.

Be seeing you.

#8 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Another corollary to what I just said is that I don't think you will be able to say "3-ship Rebel builds don't hold up well" once Wave 2 is out. Not only because you will be able to have better 3 ship builds, but because Imperials (and other Rebels if you play mirror) are also likely to run more concentrated lists as well, I think. Time will tell, but with Interceptors out there, you are almost guaranteeing the number of Imperial ships in lists to decrease by 1 on average.

Be seeing you.

#9 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

One of the main reasons I started looking at Expose was because I think Stealth is going to be very big when wave 2 comes out.  All those 3 agility ships will then move up to 4, making things very hard to hit.  As Hothie pointed out in another post you can have your agility all the way up to 6.  Ships with only 2 attack are going to have a hard time hitting anything, unless they are packing a little more punch.  

#10 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

I don't know about Expose.  On an X-Wing, it's only better than Focus if you have a Target Lock, and then, it's only slightly better then a Focus / Target Lock.  

#11 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Carist said:

I don't know about Expose.  On an X-Wing, it's only better than Focus if you have a Target Lock, and then, it's only slightly better then a Focus / Target Lock.  

I understand being skeptical about Expose, I'm not sure I'm totally sold on it, but with Expose you can roll 4 hits, you can't do that with Target Lock, or focus.  I know the odds are low to get 4 hits, but it can happen.  The only other way to get 4 attack dice is to be at close range, or with some secondary weapon.  Wedge at close range with Expose and Target lock is very scary.

#12 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

True, the potential for more damage is there, I'll have to give it a try one day, and hope the dice like me.  

If only there were a way to give Garven's Focus token to Wedge as well.  Expose, focus and Target lock at close range?  Now that would be scary.

#13 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Carist said:

True, the potential for more damage is there, I'll have to give it a try one day, and hope the dice like me.  

If only there were a way to give Garven's Focus token to Wedge as well.  Expose, focus and Target lock at close range?  Now that would be scary.

Maybe you could get lucky and Wedge could be dealt Damaged Cockpit pillo

#14 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Or Garven could just get shot at and burn the token that way

#15 polmoneys

polmoneys

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

it's been a while since this thread started, I was wondering what are your current feelings for Expose? 

I've been playing a Green Proto with PTL+Assault missiles but I have few points left on the squad so:

should I upgrade to expose? or TL+Focus is still a better choice?

In my short experience most of the time at range 1 with TL+Focus don't hit hard enough against 3 agility ships  (by enough I mean that look of fear on your opponent after unexpected extra damage) 

That extra dice feels sexy, even more after your best ship is down and you need the little ones to step up and fight. It will most likely still have all the shields by then so losing one dice won't be much of a problem. I'm sure I'll be missing the PTL induced boost every now and then but one more red dice might be more effective...

#16 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Here are my feelings on Expose: Expose (No More)

I tried a fun little build with Kath doing Expose with a Focus, but it didn't do so hot. There are just too many hoops to jump through to get it to work. You may get lucky and roll all hits on your boosted attack, but it's not something you can rely on. Focus + Target Lock are usually better. Almost always better.

But there is something to be said for increasing an A-wing's primary attack value from 2 at range 2-3, to 4 at range 1 w/ Expose.

My favorite build so far had Expose on Chewbacca with Biggs and Garven as his wingmen.

#17 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Expose is good on anything with Gunner, but Opportunist will be better

#18 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

expose is a card i like to try and tinker with when ever i can.  I have a soft spot for the card to try and make it work because it feels like it should be a card that does work.. but i've found it's only really been successful with Vader.

but is it worth it for 33 points for a ship that's going to act like an X-wing with no other benefits other than a better maneuver dial?

seems like wedge is still the better choice at 29 points and there's still 4 more points to use.. BUUUT the empire can afford more ships to run in the list than rebels can.. so it's still a fine line as to whether or not it's worth it

i've run expose on han before just to try something different.. had a little success with it but not enough to warrant its use as playable in tournaments (even though this was a small tournament i played it in)

i do however like what was mentioned above about A-wings using it at range 1.. which could be fun.. run to range 3, target lock and then next round come in and hit the expose to really make that hit count rather than just hoping the low attack isn't evaded

Edited by executor, 08 October 2013 - 11:14 PM.

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#19 polmoneys

polmoneys

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

thanks for all the inputs, I'll stick with PTL until I get bored of it or my friend buys the Imp Aces expansion and use his Opportunist card. Parakitor I'm reading all your posts ;)

Edited by polmoneys, 09 October 2013 - 03:25 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS