30 replies to this topic

#1 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've recently started a Lord of the Rings LCG blog:

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/

Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#2 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Impressed with the content so far.  Keep up the good work!  I like the depth and length of the articles, especially how you discuss the virtues of underappreciated cards.  Some great coverage between your new blog, Tales From the Cards, and Cardboard of the Rings podcast.

#3 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thanks jc!

Yeah, I'm really trying to go in-depth on the strategy and deck-biulding concepts. Many people have commented that this game is difficult, so I want to provide a more thorough analysis of what goes into building a successful deck. I also really enjoy making more thematic decks, I really like that this game, like most FFG games, lets you decide where on the thematic -> powerful spectrum you want to play.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#4 Mr Ruffles

Mr Ruffles

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I shall check it out.

#5 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

You mean how nedly vs Jaime you want to play. I heard .cardgamedb.com was seeking new contributers maybe you should check that; it's the place I to for LCG news and your stuff is definitly worth being spread as much as possible.

#6 leeroyer

leeroyer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I just looked at your blog and I must say that it's amazing.. I love the number of decks for inspiration and I think that you really did great job and I hope that you will continue… 
I would just like one more thing (I don't know how hard to do is it however) - it would be great if you could manage to do this - when I am on some card with my cursor it could show it so I don't have to click on it. Somehow like when you check decks at cardgamedb.com .

#7 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Thanks leeroyer! I will look into displaying the card image when you hover your mouse over a link. Unfortunately, with the version of WordPress that I am using for this blog, I don't know that I can get full access to the unerlying HTML to add this kind of javascript that would enable this feature. Again, thanks for your support, I'm glad that you are enjoying the blog, I will see what I can do to improve the markup.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#8 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thanks leeroyer! I will look into displaying the card image when you hover your mouse over a link. Unfortunately, with the version of WordPress that I am using for this blog, I don't know that I can get full access to the underlying HTML to add the javascript that would enable this feature. Again, thanks for your support, I'm glad that you are enjoying the blog. I will see what I can do to improve the markup.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#9 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, great content danpoage, worth reading. It's getting hard to keep up with that many posts in your blog and in Tales from the Cards. Keep up the good work! cangrejo

#10 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

For me, this blog is perfect. I have long said that I love LOTR:LCG but I just don't have the time to dedicate to deck building. I like finding decks others are willing to post and trying them out. What seems to be missing from most of the decks I find are the creators suggestions for how best to use their decks.

This is what you have done, and I am grateful. You have posted what seem to be very well made decks. Then you have gone further and added your instructions for use.

Keep this coming!

I will add a suggestion for what I personally would like to see but have not found yet. Perhaps you have time to take on the task:

I have searched all over and have "yet to find" a write-up by someone on the type of deck needed for each Quest in the game.

Each Quest (IMO) puts a different requirement on your deck building skill. For example, some would require more questing power. Some may require you to have lots of strength in Ally's in order to defend or attack (CaTC perhaps). Some would require you to manage threat, etc.

Just a thought for a future addition!

Thanks for your work!

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#11 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thanks hendersondayton! I agree that it always help me to appreciate a deck better when the creator has explained the reasoning behind particular card choices and how they play the deck. You are in luck, I am planning on doing a deck list series for The Core Set, each of the Deluxe Expansions, and then the Adventure Pack Cycles. Unfortunately I am going to be busy for a bit, and it really takes time to go through each of these scenarios again, and build appropriate decks for each one. Be on the look out for the first in the series, but also know that it will be a while as I work through each of the expansions and APs.

Also, one question for the community at large, for the scenario-specific decks, would everyone prefer if I limited each deck to only cards that were printed as of that expansions/AP (e.g. Heirs of Numenor cards would only be included in decks for the Heirs of Numenor quests -- no using Beregond in decks for Shadows of Mirkwood or Dwarrodelf cycles), or would you prefer the deck be a free-for-all where any printed card is fair game?

I am glad to hear that people are enjoying the blog. Please, feel free to leave comments, feedback and suggestions in the articles that you enjoy most.

Thanks!

Beorn

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#12 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

danpoage said:

Be on the look out for the first in the series, but also know that it will be a while as I work through each of the expansions and APs.

Looking forward to it.

danpoage said:

Also, one question for the community at large, for the scenario-specific decks, would everyone prefer if I limited each deck to only cards that were printed as of that expansions/AP (e.g. Heirs of Numenor cards would only be included in decks for the Heirs of Numenor quests -- no using Beregond in decks for Shadows of Mirkwood or Dwarrodelf cycles), or would you prefer the deck be a free-for-all where any printed card is fair game?

Personally, I would like to see less of a deck build and more of a list of things that should be considered when building a deck for a specific quest. For example….take HoEM…obviously with this deck, players will need to deal with locations so cards that aid in adding progress or questing aids will be important. Instead of suggesting specific cards, work on suggesting "types" of cards…(IE - Cards that add progress tokens…)…this way, people could build decks with that they have and you yourself don't have to worry about suggesting cards not everyone would have….

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#13 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

On a related note, in my latest post have provided a timeline of Middle-Earth with cross-references to the cards of Lord of the Rings LCG. This will make it a lot easier to provide context for the expansion and adventure pack scenarios as I go through them in order. Take a look, and let me know what you guys think.

http://hallofbeorn.w...s-lcg-timeline/

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#14 leeroyer

leeroyer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have been reading your blog again and I think that it would be pretty nice if you could make another bookmark (as Home and About on the top) for Decks, where could be links for the articles.. I know that you have got them on the leftsdie in category, but I think that this option is little bit less comfortable. Btw you are still surprising me.. ;)

#15 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

This is a great idea!

I've gone ahead an added a Decks page here:

http://hallofbeorn.w...ress.com/decks/

Enjoy.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#16 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

If you've ever wondered who I would most want to have my back during a bar fight, now you know:

http://hallofbeorn.w...in-a-bar-fight/

Cheers,

Beorn

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#17 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm liking that Tactics Boromir (one of my fave characters)/Nori/Bifur deck.  Boromir is a lot of fun to mess around with.

#18 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

jc1138 said:

I'm liking that Tactics Boromir (one of my fave characters)/Nori/Bifur deck.  Boromir is a lot of fun to mess around with.

Me too. Really wonna try it!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#19 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

It would be awesome to have files for each of your deck builds.

OCTGN, LOTR Deck Builder, and CardGameDB in particular. I would suggest LackeyCCG but nobody keeps this plugin updated anymore (which is why I switched to OCTGN). Vassal Engine also has a module but I don't see that being updated either.

Viewers of your blog could download the deck for use in OCTGN, in the LOTR Deck Builder, and also find the file on CardGameDB.

I understand you have enough on your plate as it is, so this is just a suggestion.

#20 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanks guys! I am glad that you like the Boromir deck. I wanted to make a fun, and different way to use a great hero. I definitely feel that Tactics Boromir is, at this point at least, superior to the Leadership one from Heirs of Numenor. We'll have to see what else comes out in the upcoming chapter cycle to make Gondor more viable as a deck archetype.

As for the deck files, I definitely want to make it easier for people to access the decks so I'm glad to hear suggestions. I'm not sure which sites/formats would be most useful to people so maybe I'll put that up as my next poll. It doesn't make sense to convert all of my decks to three or four different formats if only a few people are going to use them. A bear's got to eat and sleep too :)

Thanks again for the encouragement everyone, and I will look into the best way to can provide more community resources.

Beorn

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS