Jump to content



Photo

New expansion next month "what size play mat will you use?"


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Soulfly626

Soulfly626

    Member

  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

I was thinking of uping the to a 150-200 point game to be able to play with the BIGGER ships along with a nice squadron size.  What play mat will you be using since the game is going to change a bit.

 

I thinking of going with Hotz 34 x 45 half size.



#2 Emrico

Emrico

    Member

  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

We've been sticking with 3'x3', even using the Falcon and Slave I models from the KRE there hasn't been a problem with play area size. We have still been playing 100 point squads as there's been no indication from FFG that the point level is increasing with Wave 2.

Jim


Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#3 Soulfly626

Soulfly626

    Member

  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks! can't wait!!!



#4 hothie

hothie

    Member

  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Still sticking with 100 pt squads and 3X3 maps, because games often go to time anyway at 100 pt level. I can't imagine what would happen if FFG changed to 150 pt squads.



#5 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

    Member

  • Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

 

I use 36” x48” I love the suspense the first two closing distance rounds create.



#6 Soulfly626

Soulfly626

    Member

  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Boomer_J said:

 

I use 36” x48” I love the suspense the first two closing distance rounds create.

 

I'm with you….I remember clearly ready reading in the instructions that the 36 x 36 is a starting point for the starter pack……I like to play with space debris and asteroids on the playing field which makes things much more interresting and adds a bit of depth to the map.

 

I was actually thinking of making on 75% the size of my dinning table….got to leave room for gaming snacks and the card/tokens/markers



#7 BigDogg

BigDogg

    Member

  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I think I'll be sticking with the 3 x3 and 100 point builds for now. Scenarios on the other hand almost require bigger tables like the Trench Run.


  • Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#8 Hank

Hank

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I have played a few 150point games on 3x3 tables and found that not only was thereplnty of space but that the game wasn't significantly longer. now that being said we also played a 300 point game on a 4x6 and that took the better part of an evening.



#9 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

We already play 4x4 or 4x6


Enimo Et Fide


#10 jetsetter

jetsetter

    Member

  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

My kitchen table would make a perfect trench run table (at least I think so, 4'x14')….or multiple simultaneous games….the game "board" I use is 30"x40", black w/"stars"



#11 venerablemonster

venerablemonster

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

When I finally get around to purchasing a table for my apartment that can fit bigger than 3x3, I'll give it a go. Until then, I'm kind of stuck. 



#12 Parakitor

Parakitor

    Member

  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Soulfly626 said:

Boomer_J said:

 

 

I use 36” x48” I love the suspense the first two closing distance rounds create.

 

 

 

I'm with you….I remember clearly ready reading in the instructions that the 36 x 36 is a starting point for the starter pack……I like to play with space debris and asteroids on the playing field which makes things much more interresting and adds a bit of depth to the map.

 

I was actually thinking of making on 75% the size of my dinning table….got to leave room for gaming snacks and the card/tokens/markers

Y'know, it would be pretty cool to have a large playing field with an asteroid field just in one section, so if things got hairy you could "retreat" into the asteroid field to avoid some fire and try to secure a better attack vector. Thematically it sounds fun, but I'm not sure how it would really play out. It would be great to lure the opposing formation-flying TIEs into the asteroids to break 'em up. Then again, you can already choose that kind of set up (to an extent) on a 3' x 3' map, which is loads of fun the way it is.


"That starship won't fly, Bastila."


#13 Soulfly626

Soulfly626

    Member

  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Parakitor said:

Soulfly626 said:

 

Boomer_J said:

 

 

I use 36” x48” I love the suspense the first two closing distance rounds create.

 

 

 

I'm with you….I remember clearly ready reading in the instructions that the 36 x 36 is a starting point for the starter pack……I like to play with space debris and asteroids on the playing field which makes things much more interresting and adds a bit of depth to the map.

 

I was actually thinking of making on 75% the size of my dinning table….got to leave room for gaming snacks and the card/tokens/markers

 

 

Y'know, it would be pretty cool to have a large playing field with an asteroid field just in one section, so if things got hairy you could "retreat" into the asteroid field to avoid some fire and try to secure a better attack vector. Thematically it sounds fun, but I'm not sure how it would really play out. It would be great to lure the opposing formation-flying TIEs into the asteroids to break 'em up. Then again, you can already choose that kind of set up (to an extent) on a 3' x 3' map, which is loads of fun the way it is.

I'll post some pics and thoughts once I get it done.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS