Jump to content



Photo

A Dark Time - Hoth Cycle Pack Three


  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3856

 

 

 



#2 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

I'm just wondering when we'll get to see the first pack.  It's still sitting under "In Development".  I'm hoping this won't be like a repeat of the Lord of the Rings situation where the first Adventure Pack was delayed well beyond when it was expected to release.



#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

FFG always posts up product announcements 3 months in advance to allow time for retailers and distributors to place orders for product. So most likely we will see 1st pack in February, placing this pack in April. It is common for FFG to take a break after a major release like a core set or deluxe expansion.

 

Anzati Elite, want that in my Sith deck for the two tactics icons. And glad to see a Smugglers and Spies objective set. For this pack Imperial, Sith, Smugglers all get sets with most likely Rebels as well. Not sure on the 5th one, possibly a LS neutral.



#4 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

    Member

  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Really pumped for this pack!



#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Colonel Starck looks extremely impressive.


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#6 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

    Member

  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about Battle of Hoth yet. In or against a Hoth deck, it's almost a strictly superior Target of Opportunity.



#7 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'm kinda shocked, in an extremely good way, we're seeing Anzati assassins and Gotal survivors - not to mention Colonel Starck as well - in such an early release. I know there were the odd characters etc in the core set, but to have such blatant EU stuff so soon has really impressed me!


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#8 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

spalanzani said:

I'm kinda shocked, in an extremely good way, we're seeing Anzati assassins and Gotal survivors - not to mention Colonel Starck as well - in such an early release. I know there were the odd characters etc in the core set, but to have such blatant EU stuff so soon has really impressed me!

Let's just hope General Veers makes it into the Hoth Cycle somewhere.



#9 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

    Member

  • Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

The Anzati seems slightly fragile to commit 4 resources to.


Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com


#10 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

cleardave said:

 

spalanzani said:

 

I'm kinda shocked, in an extremely good way, we're seeing Anzati assassins and Gotal survivors - not to mention Colonel Starck as well - in such an early release. I know there were the odd characters etc in the core set, but to have such blatant EU stuff so soon has really impressed me!

 

 

Let's just hope General Veers makes it into the Hoth Cycle somewhere.

 

 

I predict he'll be in pack 5 or 6, towards the end of the cycle. I think that would be fitting since his AT-AT destroyed the shield generator and that was toward the end of the battle. Then again, Vader didn't show up until the shield was down and we're already getting him in the first Force pack, so who knows. I'm confident we'll see him this cycle.


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#11 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

On the Veers subject, I'd like to see some kind of Dark Side Enhancement comparable to the Trench Run that allows the Dark Side to blow the power generators and either win the game, or cause some other kind of global problem for the Light Side.



#12 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

D.Knight Sevus said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Battle of Hoth yet. In or against a Hoth deck, it's almost a strictly superior Target of Opportunity.

Not if you're attacking a non-Hoth player…



#13 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

    Member

  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

MarthWMaster said:

D.Knight Sevus said:

 

I'm not sure how I feel about Battle of Hoth yet. In or against a Hoth deck, it's almost a strictly superior Target of Opportunity.

 

 

Not if you're attacking a non-Hoth player…

Which is why I said almost. Even then, you still get to heal 1 damage from one of your Hoth objectives, and have both an extra Force icon and priority over Target of Opportunity.



#14 Evazorek

Evazorek

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Very excited for this and glad they have got some EU stuff in early. Gives me hopes that we will see an expansion set placed between the films, during the "shadows of the empire" EU material if I am not mistaken.



#15 OlorinGrayhame

OlorinGrayhame

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm confused…this desc. says "The Force Pack’s five new objective sets permit players to tighten the focus……" while the desc for the first Force Packs, while talking about the general distribution in Force Packs says " you’ll gain ten complete objective sets, including one copy of each “Limit 1” objective set and two copies of each other objective set."  Does that mean this set really only had 5 unique objective sets? I'm OK with that, I just want to understand what the sets will look like before I get too invested in this and "bait and switched".  I like the way they describe the distribution plan, just looking for clafification.



#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

OlorinGrayhame said:

and two copies of each other objective set." 

 

5 sets x 2 copies of each = 10 sets.



#17 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

OlorinGrayhame said:

I'm confused…this desc. says "The Force Pack’s five new objective sets permit players to tighten the focus……" while the desc for the first Force Packs, while talking about the general distribution in Force Packs says " you’ll gain ten complete objective sets, including one copy of each “Limit 1” objective set and two copies of each other objective set."  Does that mean this set really only had 5 unique objective sets? I'm OK with that, I just want to understand what the sets will look like before I get too invested in this and "bait and switched".  I like the way they describe the distribution plan, just looking for clafification.

The individual distribution of Objectives in Force Packs still remains unknown in a sense.  By that I mean, "how many" unique Objectives.  Any one Force Pack of 60 cards (which is 10 Objective sets, of six cards each; 6x10=60 cards) could be organized in a variety of ways.

The key thing to remember is that FFG's plan is to give you a complete set of playable cards, so every Objective set will be included in a Force Pack twice, with the exception of "Limit one per deck" Objectives, which will only be included once.

Firstly, the easiest distribution would be 2 copies of 5 unique Objectives, which gives you the 10 Objective total.

But it could also be 2x4 unique Objectives, with one copy each of 2 "Limit One Per Deck" Objectives, or any other permutation you can imagine, as long as all Objectives are included in duplicate, with the exception of the "Limit 1" Objectives.

2+2+2+1+1+1+1, or even theoretically 10 Limit 1 Objectives if they felt so inclined.

In any case, I'm not sure what sort of bait and switch you're worried about.  From what I understand historically, the earlier LCG's (Cthulhu, Thrones, Warhammer) didn't provide a "complete" card loadout in the earlier packs, but every game system since (Rings, Netrunner, Star Wars) offers complete play sets in each expansion pack.

So with that in mind, let's go back to your first point, about the new Force Pack providing "five new objective sets."  You can infer from that quote that this particular Force Pack will contain 5 unique objectives, each in duplicate, to allow the maximum number of legal deck construction options.  So regardless of Limit 1's or not, you will, in fact, recieve 10 complete objective sets in each Force Pack, its just a matter of how many will be doubles of normals, or singles of Limit 1's.



#18 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

D.Knight Sevus said:

 

MarthWMaster said:

 

D.Knight Sevus said:

 

I'm not sure how I feel about Battle of Hoth yet. In or against a Hoth deck, it's almost a strictly superior Target of Opportunity.

 

 

Not if you're attacking a non-Hoth player…

 

 

Which is why I said almost. Even then, you still get to heal 1 damage from one of your Hoth objectives, and have both an extra Force icon and priority over Target of Opportunity.

 

 

True. You may be right in saying it's a better card overall. This must be one of those examples of design acting out in favor of set-based balance, rather than individual card balance.



#19 crackerbox

crackerbox

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

cleardave said:

 

The individual distribution of Objectives in Force Packs still remains unknown in a sense.  By that I mean, "how many" unique Objectives.  Any one Force Pack of 60 cards (which is 10 Objective sets, of six cards each; 6x10=60 cards) could be organized in a variety of ways.

 

 

If you go look and the product page for each Force Pack, it tells you exactly how many Objectives are in each pack.

Desolation of Hoth: sets 37-42

Search for Skywalker: 43-47

A Dark Time: 48-52



#20 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

crackerbox said:

If you go look and the product page for each Force Pack, it tells you exactly how many Objectives are in each pack.

Desolation of Hoth: sets 37-42

Search for Skywalker: 43-47

A Dark Time: 48-52

Desolation will have 4 objectives sets that come in two copies, and 2 Limit 1 objective sets.  Skywalker and Dark Time should have 2 copies of 5 objective sets.  Like I was saying above, any one Force Pack (not these specifically, but any pack produced in the future) could have any kind of possible distribution of objective sets allowable in a 60 card format.

There doesn't have to be a consistent distribution, in terms of Limit 1's vs Doubles in each Force Pack, and by looking at the 3 Force Packs already revealed, you can see that already taking place.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS