Photo

New custom mechanic, what do you think? Broken?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

We all know how hard this game can be… what would you guys think of a card like this?

Sphere: Neutral

Cost: 5 resources

Type: Attachment

Name: Heroe's Cause

When attached hero is defeated, move this attachment to a unique ally. That ally becomes a hero until this attachment is removed or it is defeated. (Limit once per game.)

It would just give you a little extra chance to stay in the game…

I dunno, i've been toying with the idea. Doubt we'll ever get anything like this.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

i quite like it….i dont think its overpowered compared to some cards. i mean an ally is going to be weaker than a hero anyways (usaully) so may not last any longer, and we have cards that bring the hero back as it is. i also think that if 2 of your heros were dead and the last one became an ally, it may still be unlikely for you to recover

it would have to be 1 card per deck i think.

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I like the idea a lot. I agree with richsabre on the limit per deck thing. Also, the Attachment should be removed from the game when it is discarded to avoid using it recursivelly.

#4 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Good points.

I like the idea of losing boromir and being able to have faramir become a hero. I think all this really does is allow you to continue to generate resources and put hero exclusive attachments on the character, but that resource generation is usually what kills you when you lose a hero.

Interestingly enough, gandalf would be a really bad hero… he either leaves play at the end of the round, creates hella threat, and only generates neutral coin.

#5 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Yeah, cool idea, though I agree with the limit 1 per deck suggestions just to help prevent degenerate combos with Hero only attachments that weren't ever supposed to be able to attach to certain allies. Could lead to some broken combination at some point. Even right away I imagine stuff like Unexpected Courages on Faramir being crazy good.

Could lead to funny circumstances where you lose all 3 heroes but aren't knocked out of the game, but at least the hit to your final score would be equally as funny.

Doesn't cost 5 seem kinda high though? I mean, if I was going to pay 5 for something like this I might as well just pay for Fortune or Fate unless I was doing some kind of combo like I mentioned above. Though maybe cost 5 is good to help make it harder for people to use both this and Fortune or Fate/Landroval to end up with 4 heroes easily.

#6 Bryon

Bryon

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I like it!

You could also make a cheaper/free option for specific heroes.  Such as, "If Boromir is in your discard pile and you have less than 3 heroes, make your Faramir ally a hero."  Same for a Sam ally (if there ever is one) replacing your Frodo hero.

#7 revolution.hk

revolution.hk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Captain Poe said:

We all know how hard this game can be… what would you guys think of a card like this?

Sphere: Neutral

Cost: 5 resources

Type: Attachment

Name: Heroe's Cause

When attached hero is defeated, move this attachment to a unique ally. That ally becomes a hero until this attachment is removed or it is defeated. (Limit once per game.)

It would just give you a little extra chance to stay in the game…

I dunno, i've been toying with the idea. Doubt we'll ever get anything like this.

you have to find a way to remove that hero from game too

maybe attach that hero to the unique ally facedown or simply remove that hero from game

there are cards returning defeated heroes into play

#8 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Maybe "place defeated hero in your victory display"?

#9 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

I like this mechanic a lot.

agree that the card should make impossible to have 4 heroes in play at the same time.

But do not agree that the attached hero should be removed from play.

I think it would be better to not allow the return of any of that player's hero to the game while the attachment remains in game.

But you have my respect on this custom mechanic… 

Carlos José Matos

#10 revolution.hk

revolution.hk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

how about make this an event instead, which attach the defeated hero beneath the unique ally

the ally will not be considered a hero, do not collect resource, cannot attack or commit quest, cannot have attachments

when the ally leave play, return the hero into play with 1 wound, exhausted

#11 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Thats too harsh; I would word it; attach to a hero, if the hero with attachment leaving play would cause you to have no heros; attach to an ally that ally is now considered a hero. If you ever have two or more heroes in play discard any ally with this attachment"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS