You´re my only hope, Leia Organa

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

You´re my only hope: sacrifice a unit to draw 2 cards. Then your opponent chooses and sacrifices 1 card from his hand, if able

Leia Organa: If this unit leaves play it is captured by your opponent, at any dark side objective of his choice. Interupt: When this unit leaves play, remove all focus tokens from all cards you control.

Sacrifice (p. 27 of rule book): When a player is instructed to sacrifice a card, he must choose and discard a card in play that he controls and that match the requirements of the sacrifice. If the chosen card does not leave play (i.e. if it is, for example, saved by an interrupt card), the sacrifice is not considered to have been made

You´re my only hope and Leia Organa are both from the same objective set and I have a strong feeling these cards are meant to be used together for sacrificing Leia to draw cards and then have her captured at a DS objective while removing all focus tokens from your own cards. But the way I´m reading the sacrifice entry in the rules book, it would prevent the effect from you´re my only hope to take place, since the sacrifice was not properly made.

Is it made so that (unless you use it on another character) you have to chose between the effect of you´re my only hope or the effect of Leia Organa?

#2 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

In my interpretation they work just fine together.

You first sacrifice Leia. This means that she goes out of play. Then the text on Leia's card applies. She will also get captured, but captured units are also considered to be out of play, so that's not a problem. The sacrifice has not been hindered, you're merely gaining even more from it from the card ability.

Another even trickier question (in my opinion) is what happens when you play the Swindled card on her. Will she get captured or not? The Swindled card specifies "Return a target unit with printed cost 2 or lower to its owner's hand". The hand is considered out of play so she does leave play. I think she's captured, but not entirely certain.

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Don´t have any reservations with swindled/Leia myself. Seems to be a perfectly viable way to use those together. Still would like a few more inputs YMOH/Leia question.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

In both cases yes she would be captured by her text. 

#5 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Leia's effect isn't an interrupt, so it wouldn't do anything to cancel or hinder the effect of You're My Only Hope.  It's a step-by-step set of reactions, basically:

1. Play You're My Only Hope
  2. Sacrifice Leia to generate the effect
  3. Leia leaves play via the sacrifice
  4. Leia's leaving play effect kicks in and she gets captured.

Swindled works the same way.  As does Fall Back.  Leia's text is a reaction to her leaving play; it has no effect on whatever it is that makes her leave play, and doesn't care how she leaves play.

Honestly, I have two copies of her set in my deck simply to sacrifice her at the opportune moment and refresh everything.

#6 gunslinger

gunslinger

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

I've been playing the Leia card like this:

Leia leaves play (for whatever reason, killed, sacrificed) and is therefore captured.

As Leia is now a captured card it is still in play and therefore LS does not get the focus benefit.

If/when Leia is rescued and the card is returned to LS player's hand, Leia has now left play and the LS gets the focus bonus.  Thats the reward for rescuing Leia.

Have I been playing the card wrongly ?

#7 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

She has to leave play in order to be captured.  And since her removing tokens effect is an interrupt, it happens as soon as she leaves play.  What happens after that is immaterial.  She leaves play, tokens get removed, she gets captured.

Besides, captured cards don't exist technically.  They're face down and don't count against playing unique cards.  So she's gone from play regardless.

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

gunslinger said:

I've been playing the Leia card like this:

Leia leaves play (for whatever reason, killed, sacrificed) and is therefore captured.

As Leia is now a captured card it is still in play and therefore LS does not get the focus benefit.

If/when Leia is rescued and the card is returned to LS player's hand, Leia has now left play and the LS gets the focus bonus.  Thats the reward for rescuing Leia.

Have I been playing the card wrongly ?

yea you have. Captured cards are not in play. As per the rules on page 27. 

#9 JamesBond

JamesBond

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

So does this mean if Leia is captured I can play another copy of her?  (According to the rules, this seems possible, but I hadn't tought about that possibility before.)

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

JamesBond said:

So does this mean if Leia is captured I can play another copy of her?  (According to the rules, this seems possible, but I hadn't tought about that possibility before.)

Yes as there is not a copy of her in play. Captured cards are blank.

#11 Trienco

Trienco

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

The tricky part is when you destroy the objective and rescue the previous card. At this point one of them will have to go. (edit: nevermind, rescued cards return to your hand and aren't put straight back into play.. guess the bad guys only captured her stunt double in that kind of situation)

I'll have to check the rules again, but didn't they also state that cards in your hand are not considered "in play"? Technically they couldn't be for obvious reasons like holding duplicates of unique cards. So calling it "remove from play" when discarding from your hand seems like bad wording, as you'd expect that to "leave play" a card would first have to be "in play".

#12 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I don't think anyone mentioned discarding her from their hand though.  But yes, being in your hand is not considered to be in play.  Nor is using her as part of an edge battle.

#13 Trienco

Trienco

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

DailyRich said:

I don't think anyone mentioned discarding her from their hand though.  But yes, being in your hand is not considered to be in play.  Nor is using her as part of an edge battle.

Good point, for some reason when I checked I just saw "sacrifices a card from his hand" and missed the part where it's the opponent doing that.

Though this particular card text still doesn't quite fit in with their definition of sacrifice, where they talk about "a card in play". Just saying "discards 1 card" would have probably been better than "sacrifices from his hand".

#14 gunslinger

gunslinger

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

So I could launch an attack with Leia to rescue Leia.  That makes a whole load of sense.

#15 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

gunslinger said:

So I could launch an attack with Leia to rescue Leia.  That makes a whole load of sense.

Technically, once it's captured, it's not Leia anymore.  It's just a Light Side card under a Dark Side objective.  Maybe not perfect, but I prefer this relatively simple solution over being able to cripple a deck by removing one copy of a card.

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

gunslinger said:

The captured card is not Leia at that point. It is just a captured card only and has no text of any kind on it.

#17 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

gunslinger said:

Shoot. All you gotta do then is figure out what you want to do with two Leias.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS