Photo

Base Talisman + Highlands board = LOTS of gold!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 danskmacabre

danskmacabre

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

So I have the base Talisman set and recently got the Highlands expansion.

It's been great fun, but one thing I've noticed is characters getting LOTs and LOTS of gold.

In fact it's doesn't take that long for the store of gold coins to run out!

Now admittedly as this is a new expansion for us, we've been spamming the Highlands to see what all the adventure cards are like in there. But there DOES seem to be a LOT of ways to get gold in there. What with the various places in there to get gold and trinkets you can sell.

Did anyone else have the same experiences with the Highlands board?

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

I think the more important question is, are you getting any use out of that gold? Apart from the broken-ass Alchemist character from Highlands, no character makes any real use out of gold and there are still very few places to spend gold, making it for me the most common, yet most un-useful resource.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Dam said:

I think the more important question is, are you getting any use out of that gold? Apart from the broken-ass Alchemist character from Highlands, no character makes any real use out of gold and there are still very few places to spend gold, making it for me the most common, yet most un-useful resource.

This is completely true. Though hopefully this will be remedied when the City comes out with its shops. By the way, there isn't such a thing as "un-useful". Either something is "useful" or it's "useless"! =P

#4 danskmacabre

danskmacabre

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Dam said:

No not really, once you've bought some , armor, mule, maybe a sword or axe in the early part of the game then there's not much else to buy.

Well you also can spend gold to heal lives as well, but it in no way keeps up with teh gold you can get from the highlands.

#5 danskmacabre

danskmacabre

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Tiggurix said:

This is completely true. Though hopefully this will be remedied when the City comes out with its shops.

Yes looking forward to the city expansion and hopefully it will create some uses for all that gold.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

The Highland is meant to collect lot´s of gold, so you can buy goodies in the city expansion.

At this moment, you can´t do very much with it unless there are cards on the board, where you can buy some things.

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Tiggurix said:

This is completely true. Though hopefully this will be remedied when the City comes out with its shops. By the way, there isn't such a thing as "un-useful". Either something is "useful" or it's "useless"! =P

Well, it's technically not useless, you can still pay for healing, hit the Blacksmith in the Village and buy on the occasional card that allows spending burla . If it were useless, you'd just collect and never get to use it for anything.

#8 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Dam said:

Tiggurix said:

Well, it's technically not useless, you can still pay for healing, hit the Blacksmith in the Village and buy on the occasional card that allows spending burla . If it were useless, you'd just collect and never get to use it for anything.

Yes, but I was just criticising your grammar. If something is not very useful but still not useless, you just call it that, "not useful". ;) "Un-useful" sounds very awkward and contracted. =P

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hyphen wasn't necessary, but seems others do use it as well:

http://forum.wordref...ad.php?t=655235

There is used-unused, why not useful-unuseful sonreir ?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS