"Destroying" vs. "Sacrificing" Rules Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JamesBond

JamesBond

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

So the following situation came up in playing against my wife tonight and we wondered if anyone had an answer:

I played Force Lightning ("Action: Destroy a target exhausted unit") on her exhausted Yoda. She had C-3PO on the table ("Interrupt: When an event card is played, sacrifice this unit to cancel the effects of that event card") and sacrificed him to save Yoda. She also had Redemption on the table ("Interrupt: When a Character unit is destroyed, return it to its owner's hand instead of placing it in its owner's discard pile"). She used the Redemption's interrupt to take C-3PO into her hand. Is this legal? I couldn't find a good definition of "destroyed" in my quick search through the rulebook. I would say sacrificing and destroying are two different things and you couldn't use Redemption to save C-3PO in this case.

Any thoughts?

#2 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

A unit is "Destroyed" when it has damage equal to or greater than its damage capacity. 

A unit is sacrificed when he chooses and discardes that unit from play. 

C-3PO is not considered destroyed, so it will not trigger the Redemption's ability. That would be powerful LS combo if that was the case.

#3 StarDuster

StarDuster

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

C3PO cannot be saved by Redemption as C3PO is classified as a "Droid" not a "Character".

However, if C3PO was a Character, then this scenario would be fine by the rules [Edit: Scratch that, "Sacrificing" IS NOT "Destorying" either.] as "out of play" is considered part of your hand. C3PO would still be leaving play, just going to your opponents hand. This is in a theoretical situation where C3PO was considered a Character mind you. See the below rule:

Sacrifice (Page 27) - "When a player is instructed to sacrifice a card, he must choose and discard a card in play that he controls and that matches the requirements of the sacrifice. If the chosen card does not leave play (i.e if it is, for example, saved by an interrupt card), the sacrifice is not considered to have been made."

Out of Play (also Page 27) - "'Out of play' refers to the cards in a player's hand, his facedown decks, his discard pile, his edge stack, his victory pile, and any cards that are captured…'"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS