Photo

Tactical Dreadnaught Armor (Terminators)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

OK just started playing a Tech-Preist, her Rank 4 Goal is to have a set of Power Armor and to start building herself a suit of Termnator Armor bristling with Mechadendrite by the time she hits 6th and have it finished by the time she hits Acenshion.

I've missed the last few books, just woundering if their are riles for Tactical Dreadnaught Armor in DH?

#2 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Drop Bear 2.0 said:

OK just started playing a Tech-Preist, her Rank 4 Goal is to have a set of Power Armor and to start building herself a suit of Termnator Armor bristling with Mechadendrite by the time she hits 6th and have it finished by the time she hits Acenshion.

I've missed the last few books, just woundering if their are riles for Tactical Dreadnaught Armor in DH?

The Grey knights (And Ostensibly, their Termy armor) are covered in the Daemon hunter supplement. I do not think there is a Tech priest variant of Terminator armor but you might check out "Dragonscale" powered armor from the Inquisitor's handbook.

#3 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

A Power Armor for Rank 4 is a kinda… ambitious goal. Normaly is is achieved very late in the DH power scale for the last vew ranks. Also Tech-Priest do not wear ordinary Power Armor but special Variants like the one that is described in the Inquisitors Handbook. They need some special ones to allow them to field their mechandrites. Also Terminator-Armor is normaly not fielded by the Adeptus Mechanicus because it is a suit mainly made for the astartes and later customized for normal human size. The creation of one suit takes years, for a single Tech-Priest without proper training maybe even decades, another way is to fit an already finished one to your own shape though becuause the most (if not all) are made for humans a tech-Priest might not fit, especialy with their sometimes altered spine etc. The Daemon Hunter supplement has a Terminator Armor ruleset for humans though Termi-Gear is a sign of incredible might only a very powerfull magos/inquisitor can get his hands on. Such an Item is a gift of honor from the Adeptus Mechanicus and manufactured in their most advanced factories, nothing you can build on a workbench.

Remember: The knowledge to create these suits is lost nearly if not completly in the entire imperium. To create them is mostly nothing else than combining fractals of other armors that have been destroyed or rebuild. They are limited in their numbers and therefore extremly valuable.

#4 Faern

Faern

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Not to mention that terminator armor isnt given out lightly, not even to the astartes. 
You need to earn the right to wear them. Terminator Honours and all.

So you might be frowned upon quite heavily if your goal should succeed :)

#5 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Well, it is achieveable though it requires a extremly combat orientated DH-Group because this armors makes you extremly outstanding and you can do nearly nongthig else than fighting in this suit (though mechandrites could cheese around that limitation) also you need a GM that makes acquisition very easy. But your other PC will horrible suffer from this. Imagine a Terminator-Armor, Armor-Plating and lets say 4 times the Flesh is Weak. That makes a total of 18 Armor, now add around 8-16 toughnes bonus and a decent shield (best one would the the mechanicus one). If the GM wants to be able to even harm you he must field heavy artillery that will shred every other PC just from lookin at them.

#6 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I wasn't planing to go strait to Termantor on first go, I was planing to first build somthing equal to Squat Exo-Armor.

ATM she has near on 4K in cash and betwean 1K & 2K in unsold Loot (List price over 2K but I know I'm not geting New/Collectors Market Price for it, I expect down around 1K) as she has bean like a Kender with a Claw Hammer when it comes to Looting. as for spending well she's bean tighter than my relitives (Scots almost to the very last), I'm suere she welded her bum shut bacause she wasn't tight enough.

she'a still using the Las Guns, Mono Axe and Flack Cloak she started play with, though she is now using Over-Charge Packs.

I don't intend to start using her Monkey version of a Termi suit at rank 6, that's when she plans to start building it. I'm curantaly just edeged in to Rank 3, GM has bean tight with XP, this many adventuers out of the way and we should alredy be in to 4th rank, but Game Months are passing and all thease extra adventuers means more opptunities to Loot.

#7 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

4k in Cash? That is not even enough to buy some better implants. There is no "Price" for a Terminator Armor. It is so valuable it is only awarded, not sold. To simply "buy" it like an ordinary apple would be absolute no-go and an insult to the holy machine spirit. And your plan to "build" one is not possible because the knowledge to build them is lost. Even the best magi of the mechanicus in the most advanced forges with the richest datavaults have troubles with this kind of stuff. Mainly they reassemble damage armors or change them the fit to a new user. Probably Forge-Worlds like Mars or Lucius are still able to manufacture them but they are highest-priority gear. They are awarded just as the right to actually wear them is earned. It is not just a suit of armor, this thing is beside artificer armor the high-end of personal armor. The common non-astartes awarded with this kind of protection are individuals like extremely powerful Inquisitors just as Corteaz that basically rules an entire sector. Also most commonly only the ordo malleus recieves this suits for they battle some of the most gruesome enemies mankind can imagine. The chance that a tech-priest (that wears a complete different variant than regular power/termi armor) is awarded with that is very slim (though that depends on your GM) but the chance that a single tech-priest can simply builds such a thing without an STC is zero. And in the moment you find the STC for Terminator-Armor you are already awarded with an entire sub-sector as a reward from the Mechanicus or even an whole Sector from the High Lords of Terra (and you might become a saint or whatever the mechanicus calls their equivalent.) If i remember right the terminator-armor is listed without a price though through fluff you will never get your hands on it with looting scum. Atleast some actions like saving an entire forge-world etc. is required.

#8 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

A single tech priest building Terminator armour by themselves? The art of building these suits is nearly lost background wise. You sound as if you are power gaming, your goal to build the 'toughest character'. Is this more important to you than RP? I would suggest looking at DW if you want to play OTT characters who potentially have access to terminator armour.

There has never been a case of any Adeptus Mechanicus charcter in the background (that I know of) ever having a suit of Terminator armour. Youd also need to find the plans to build them (not easy in the slightest, and highly unlikely anyone will have them just hanging around), then parts and a workshop/factory to build it and many many hours. Lastly if any othe AM characters got wind of what you were doing youd probably be hunted down.Are you going on any reconaissance missions? Not with terminator armour; consider your cover blown. Trying to 'blend in'? Not a chance.

#9 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Tech-Priest do not wear Termi-Armor, that is what I am trying to say. They have their own set of power-armor that is portrayed in DH via the inquisitors handbook. Now add the flesh is weak, armor plating, dragonscale and you already achieve more AP than a Termi-Armor has, without lots of its limitations. As Lucien said Terminator-Armor is a Suit of Armor dedicated for boarding-action and shock/terror-troops that use deep-strike technology. But for an inquisitorial cell of acolytes it is absolutely overkill. This kind of suit is dedicated to astartes or extremely powerful individuals, the AdMech uses other ways to receive this kind of protection. I would not say the OP is a power-gamer per se but lacks some essential fluff background.

#10 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

I don't plan to buy the Termie, I'm saving for Power Armor ATM and am about half way there for a suit of light or Dragonscale.

I have some favors owing from the Mechanis, in edege of darkness (more by good luck than good planing) we took the Churgans lab intact and recovered her remains more or less intact with next to no damage to her augemants turned them over to the Tech-Preists. then their where the Tech Heritics in Gunmetal that where bootleging Plasma Guns, took their workshop intact, the folks that where running Bolt shells to the Chaos Marines shut them down but er blew the abandond Manafatorim they where working out of and their was the Xenos-Tech runners. and their was the recovery of the Cyborg Assisan in rejoice for you are true (how many times did we kill him to find out it was just a body double with a low rent version of his augments)

Other Players are in light Carapace with Hellguns, so I'm felling under equiped.

I don't think the GM plans to take his campain to rank 9 and above any way and will be quite happy to have it sucking Cash out of the party when the time comes, so far my monoplising the Loot has prevented the other players from upgrading their armor and weapons sooner.

#11 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Well, 4k Thrones are not a big deal, and when the GM wants to take out money he just has to send you on a world where you have to pay for your own HQ, supplys etc. Though a civilian version power armor can be bought for 15.000 bucks as long as you find someone that sells it and even offers you the cheap "list-price". Dragonscale is just 7.500 bucks but you still have to find someone that sells you that kind of stuff. Furthermore the Terminator-Armor is listed without a price for there is no money to buy such a thing. Also its rarity is unique. And if you feel under equipped why didn't you buy some carapace or hellgun? 4k bucks it quit enough for that stuff.

#12 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

You'd be lucky to get regular power armor or Dragon scale. My GM routinely bans Terminator armor, as he feels it takes the fun out of the game. There's not much that can hurt a PC in Terminator armor; it's AP14 on all locations AND includes a force field, and that's not even getting into the offensive capabilities. It's freaking ridiculous. The things are as rare as hen's teeth, and they should be, with how powerful they are.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#13 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

GM's using some very old Fluff (Book of the Astronomocon, Titan Leigon, RT: Companion and such) for extra clour, if I want to progress from the Ranks of the Tech-Preists & Engeiners to the Magos & Logis I've got to produce a "Masterpice", I don't have the time to adventuere and supirvise a major undertaking (Titan or Void Ship) and I don't want to do somthing like build a Dreadnaught, knock one of the other PC's over the back of the head and stick them in it so I can prove  it works then lobotomise them pulling them out so I can pack it of to the Antaries.

So I choise building a extreamily Rare pice of tech for personal use. I figuere Orcs have Mega-Armor, Squats had Exo-Armor (I miss Squats, got 3K points worth of them at my Rents house somewhere), so I figuered if I was going to sink my playwes time and money in to somthing that I was likily never going to get around to using a Termie would have bean the thing, and if it ever did work out it would be compleatily Kick Ass and serve the GM right for making me do it in the first place.

#14 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

Titans etc. can only be build on the MAJOR Forge-Worlds like Mars and Lucius, the same goes for Terminator Armor. Only these Worlds are gifted with the Secrets to Build these Miracles of War and a Tech-Priest with that kind of knowledge is extremly unlikey to be allowed to leave the planet or to  be an acolythe of an inquisitor. In the rest of the universe the knowledge to Build these Machines is ultimatly lost just as the knowledge to build the machines that are needed to manufacutre such a tool of devastation. And now think of how there can be Magi on lesser Forge-Worlds then, without the possibility to manufacture such a thing that requires dozens if not hundreds of artisans to be manufactured and then still takes years or centuries if we talk about the birth of a titan. A Masterpiece is a Masterpiece, not a Wonder. A Combi-Weapon whose both parts are mastercrafted, that is custimized and bears several attachements also qualifies for a Masterpiece. A Terminator-Armor manufactured by a single Tech-Priest in less then a few years from nothing than scrap is a miricale and wonder, a gift of the ommnissiah that qualifies your Tech-Priest to have an audience in front of the high Fabricator-General of Mars himself.

If a single Tech-Priest could craft such a thing, why do you think the Astartes suffer from supplies of Terminator Armor? Why do you think the Dark Angels can only maintain their huge Terminator-Force because they found a Space-Hulk full of this suits? Why do you think there are entire Chapters without even this kind of Armor whose first company is fielded in regular Power Armor? The resourced to manufacture this suits is bound the the most powerfull Forge-Worlds but even those can not supply a thousand chapters. Every Termiantor-Armor requires the Sanction of several high-ranking Magi to be allowed to be worn by someone else because every Terminator-Suit that is not given to the Astartes is a major loss in effectivity for only the Astartes can field this tools of war with its full effeciency and therefore honor the machine spirits as he deserves, unless there is another indiviudal as honored and blessed like them, and remember, they are seen ans divine warriors. And this kind of Armor is not just "extremly rare" it is unique and much more advanced than Mega-Armor or Exo-Armor though the old rulebooks might not display this fact and of course not the Tabletop where armor has to be rated for a D6 that simpliies the fluff into 6 categories for every army.

#15 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Drop Bear 2.0 said:

…and if it ever did work out it would be compleatily Kick Ass and serve the GM right for making me do it in the first place.

This line caught my attention.  The GM put this requirement to you, and you consider it to be onerous, right?  So are you attempting to craft power armor as retribution, or do you have some kind of vision of what you want your character to be like?

I wouldn't use the stats and restrictions for Tactical Dreadnaught Armor if I were you.  According to fluff your character really wouldn't be able to do it, and having the knowledge to create TDA is a guarded secret.  However, I heartily advocate you set to designing a power armor inspired by the Tactical Dreadnaught Armor, but suited for the purpose of people who have not been severely augmented.  It probably wouldn't be to the quality of TDA, but it can carry over improvements over the standard Power Armor.

What motivation does your character have for constructing Power Armor?  Why Power Armor, and not Melta Technology?  Why Power Armor, and not an improved Potentia Coil design?

#16 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

IdOfEntity said:

Drop Bear 2.0 said:

…and if it ever did work out it would be compleatily Kick Ass and serve the GM right for making me do it in the first place.

This line caught my attention.  The GM put this requirement to you, and you consider it to be onerous, right?  So are you attempting to craft power armor as retribution, or do you have some kind of vision of what you want your character to be like?

I wouldn't use the stats and restrictions for Tactical Dreadnaught Armor if I were you.  According to fluff your character really wouldn't be able to do it, and having the knowledge to create TDA is a guarded secret.  However, I heartily advocate you set to designing a power armor inspired by the Tactical Dreadnaught Armor, but suited for the purpose of people who have not been genetically modified and outfitted with implants.  It probably wouldn't be to the quality of TDA, but it can carry over improvements over the standard Power Armor.

What motivation does your character have for constructing Power Armor?  Why Power Armor, and not Melta Technology?  Why Power Armor, and not an improved Potentia Coil design?

EDIT: For clarity

#17 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

My Character is building her own catalog of Tech Patterns, the unplaned first entry is going to be a "Archlight Axe" after a Chaos Marine broke the head of my Mono Axe in last nights game, I'm going to build me a new Mono-Axe using Acrace aloys. then it's on to desigining a new Helgun for her Henchpersons Oops I mean other party members.

#18 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

IdOfEntity said:

IdOfEntity said:

Drop Bear 2.0 said:

I wouldn't use the stats and restrictions for Tactical Dreadnaught Armor if I were you.  According to fluff your character really wouldn't be able to do it, and having the knowledge to create TDA is a guarded secret.  However, I heartily advocate you set to designing a power armor inspired by the Tactical Dreadnaught Armor, but suited for the purpose of people who have not been genetically modified and outfitted with implants.  It probably wouldn't be to the quality of TDA, but it can carry over improvements over the standard Power Armor.

I'd just use Heavy Power Armor from Rogue Trader: Into the Storm. It's basically the poor man's Terminator Armor.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#19 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I was thinking the MK.0 prototype would be about AP:10,  Agl:-10, No efective Str Incerase  (the Power Frame is using up all it's resorces just to support the Armor and sub-systems) minimal opeation time. the MK.1 prototype would be around AP:12, STR: +20.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS