how do you generate characteristics?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 perfect_enemy64

perfect_enemy64

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I’m about to start a new campaign of dark heresy but after rolling up some stat lines with players i have been finding that the way its done in the book can be a bit unfair.

Has any one got any alliterate ways of generating characteristics? I’m thinking of either allowing my players assign stats or letting them roll 3d10 and discard the lowest or would that brake the game?

#2 Gerner

Gerner

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

It is really up to you.

As a player you can be unlucky and start with a weaker character than the rest, but that is the reality sometimes you friends are stronger or weaker.

I have also tried letting them assign which roll goes to which stat, which makes the statline fit better to their choice of career class.

Lastly I also tried creating a point system which worked fine, but was slightly confusing and not the easiest thing to do. It does work good on the other hand because they rarely make new characters. :)

#3 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

The easiest way to ensure no one is hosed is roll 10 pairs of 2d10, drop the lowest and assign as they wish. Otherwise 9 times of 2d10 and let them reroll one.

• Ghaundan likes this

#4 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Cymbel said:

… Otherwise 9 times of 2d10 and let them reroll one.

That's what I do.

#5 Gerner

Gerner

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Cymbel said:

The easiest way to ensure no one is hosed is.

…  to give them all a 30 statline. :D

#6 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Base +10 is boring though, no one exceeds, no one has weaknesses. Stats help me define who my character is. I personally like roll 9 pairs of 2d10 and reroll one, which gives characters the most life. I once got a noble psyker with hilariously low WP (even after the reroll), it became a major part of her.

#7 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Letting player choose where to put their rolls is safe, players are guarenteed to get a character they like.

The only draw back is that less usefull attributes always get the shaft so in a sense its a little boring.

#8 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Have your GM make the 10 rolls, and each player can assign them to their Characteristics as they choose.

Everyone has the same distribution of scores, though arrayed so that they are more beneficial to them.

#9 Ashpool

Ashpool

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

I use the standard system from the book, as well as random homeworld/careers. After rolling their first characters the players suprised me by indicating a preference for this system, since we had a wide diversity of abilities within the group, and even within the same class. It sparked a healthy debate about how characters with low stats in one area could be made to shine in other areas through clever roleplaying and distribution of gear.

Having said that, if a player was completely hosed with sub 25 in each stat I would give them the option to start again, since I wouldnt force a player to run with a character which has no redeeming statistical qualities unless they expressed a desire to do so.

#10 Radical Hamster

Radical Hamster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

We've rolled 2D10 eleven times and dropped the worst two results, than applied the rest as we wished, and generely if we don't like the set we rolled we can reroll everything again as many times as we want (none of us in the group that playes DH are "power gamers" so we tend to settle for a decent set of figures with a couple of high ones and a couple of low ones). 

I myself have been toying with the idea of a point based system like Docdoom77 suggested in the duplicate thread. I think it might be the best way if you want a "fair" system.

#11 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

After all the rolls are made I do allow my PCs to re-roll one stat and choose the best result.  That said I generally think it's just tough luck if you get bad stats.  The background for DH is a bit of an exception though.  If all of a PCs stats were sub par then there has to be an explanation as to why the PC was chosen by the Inquisitor, so I might compensate the PC through good contacts or some other benefit.

#12 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Visitor Q said:

That said I generally think it's just tough luck if you get bad stats.  The background for DH is a bit of an exception though.
Not just DH, I think. In Deathwatch, or Only War, someone with lousy BS won't be picked as the squad's designated sniper or heavy weapons guy. In Rogue Trader, someone with abysmal Intelligence likely wouldn't rise to Seneschal, in Black Crusade a character with bad Fellowship shouldn't have much success in becoming an Apostate.

The truth is that, more often than not, characters' professions should be defined by their characteristics - barring exceptional cases where a character is ushered into his role based on heritage (such as, say, a Rogue Trader's child following in their father's footsteps). So for true "realism in randomness", we should roll characteristics and then pick the class the results are best suited for. Some players, especially those having difficulty deciding on what they want to play, may prefer this.

Other players, however, come up with a concept long before they roll the dice, and having their creativity be punished by bad rolls may present a problem if the end result undermines realism as well, such as when people begin asking themselves how "someone like that could ever become X" - especially in cases where a character's role would be defined by their aptitude as determined in various tests conducted by whatever organisation is responsible for them.

Still, a degree of randomness prevents "cheese builds" and makes our characters appear more like real people, so personally I believe in the middle ground between having the class determined by characteristics dice rolls and an all-out points buy system. Slight modifications to the end result such as allowing 1-2 results to be swapped and/or rerolled go a long way in increasing the character's viability for whatever job their player intends them for. :)

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#13 Riggswolfe

Riggswolfe

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I use the 100 point point buy system presented in the later Core Books as an alternative. I have one player whose dice are so good we all regularly glance at his dice to see if he is cheating and another player whose dice are so bad I jokingly proposed a houserule that all his difficulties start at +30. Without pointbuy the differences between them would be even worse with one having phenomenal stats and the other being a gimp version of Forrest Gump.

#14 Inquisitor Drakon

Inquisitor Drakon

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Riggswolfe said:

I use the 100 point point buy system presented in the later Core Books as an alternative. 

i use this same method. use the base stats as found for their given homeworld and give them 80-100 points to allocate. if you dont want min maxing then decree that at least 5 points have to go into any given stat but no more than 20. it has worked pretty well for me so far.

#15 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Generally, roll 9 sets of 2d10, assign as they fall (first is WS, second is BS) or as players wish (to go with a concept), re-roll on ONE stat, min of 11. An Alternate to that if putting stats where you want is 10 sets of 2d10 and drop the lowest. I prefer the re-roll because it gives more "chance" especially if you take out the min of 11 (though I dont reccomend that). Otherwise, if using just IH stuff for homeworld/BG packages. SupTG has a good roller/generator.

#16 vehzeel

vehzeel

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

I will also use the base stats + 100p buy system when I start my campaign.

#17 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Roll 2d10 10 times, drop the lowest, then place'em where you want'em.

#18 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have them roll two tables of 10 stats [rerolling 1s], drop the lowest in each then they pick one. 

And some people still get crappy stats sometimes :P but generally speaking, people get to avoid the table where all they've rolled are 8s and 9s. 

#19 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

It really depends on what we want to run. If the game's supposed to be about a random motley of guys assembled by the Inquisition for some nebulous purpose, we tend to go with by-the-book rolling. When we want a badass inquisitorial cadre, we switch to a more lenient method of generating stats - which exactly is mostly up to whomever runs the game at the moment.

It's important to remember, no method of generating characteristics is inherently superior, it's just that some are more fit for the particular game or group. The most memorable character I've ever played was a direct result of us using the core rules strictly at the time and me rolling significantly below the average all across. Fun times were had, but I wouldn't advocate sticking to this method for each and every game we play.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#20 Eldartank

Eldartank

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

>>>  I’m about to start a new campaign of dark heresy but after rolling up some stat lines with players i have been finding that the way its done in the book can be a bit unfair.

Has any one got any alliterate ways of generating characteristics? I’m thinking of either allowing my players assign stats or letting them roll 3d10 and discard the lowest or would that brake the game?  <<<

In my Dark Heresy games (the campaign I ran for over a year, and the new campaign I'm running now), I like my players to get a decent start with their characters.  They roll 3d10 for each stat, reroll any 1's, and then discard the lowest dice.  They generate their 9 stats and assign them wherever they want.  The only exception is for certain characters from homeworlds where a particular stat might have a bonus or penalty.  Those particular stats are rolled seperately (with the same 3d10 rule) and assigned to that particular stat - then the rest are rolled and assigned wherever they want.

Edited by Eldartank, 10 August 2013 - 10:14 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS