Photo

Once FFG runs out of Star Wars ships to make would you like to see fighters from other SciFi universes added to the mix?

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

There are a finite number of ships in the Star Wars universe that would work on this scale. Once FFG runs out of ships for this game would you like to see them expand, using the X-Wing system to make the ships compatable, into other SciFi universes and which ones would you like to see?

For me personally, I would love to see them produce a version of this game for the Babylon 5 universe. Lots of fighter craft to choose from there….9 for the major powers (Earth, Minbari, Narn and Centauri) plus 1 for the Raiders and who knows how many for the races of the League of Non-Aligned Worlds.

There would have to be a new ability for the Earth Force Starfuries. Due to the way their thrusters are mounted they have the ability to pivot to face any direction to fire but keep the same direction of travel. This could be handled by making the pivot an action and have a cardboard piece for the fire arc that fits on the center post that will allow it to face any direction

#2 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

From FFG? No. At home, kit bash and customize all you want.

• TK4334, Viceroy Bolda, CrookedWookie and 1 other like this

#3 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

I doubt FFG would do that but it would be cool. I personally would love to see the fighters from Space: Above and Beyond, Battlestar Galactica, both original and re-visioned and B5. All the Earth and Galactica based ships would have the ability to pivot well moving in one direction and fire in another direction. I think an easier game mechanic would be to give them two fire arcs. One front 90 as usual and the second 360 but at reduced power and range (say -1 AD and max. range 2 to represent the complexity of pivoting 180 degrees, calculating deflection, time on target, firing and pivoting back).

• oneway likes this
  • Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#4 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Nah. First off, FFG probably won't run out of Star Wars ships in MY lifetime, especially as the speed with which they're appearing. Second, I'd MUCH rather see FFG go all Dust on 'em and produce a ground game instead. And then, there's the whole licensing thing; you don't just start spitting out B5 or BSG ships just 'cos you want to.

• Duke of Advil and Prevailing Winds like this

#5 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

If they gained the license for Baybylon 5 models and released it as a seperate game system from X-Wing, I would definitely buy them.  But to mix and match the ships would be weird.  Battlestar is nice in theory but wouldn't have a shorter lifespan by far?  But I agree with IG-58 in that we won't be seeing any end to star wars ships in a good while, especially if they go into the EU ships which seem like a real possibility given FFG's use of EU pilots for the current ships.

• Kwaad likes this

#6 Battle Damage

Battle Damage

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'd not like to see these in the same universe, but using the same mechanics:

Robotech/Macross.

Oh god please yes. Do it FFG, and I promise to buy enough MAC III's and Zentradi Officer Pods to put your kids through college.

• Osoroshii, ErictheUnready and oneway like this

#7 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'd not like to see these in the same universe, but using the same mechanics:

Robotech/Macross.

Oh god please yes. Do it FFG, and I promise to buy enough MAC III's and Zentradi Officer Pods to put your kids through college.

I am with you100% on the Robotech/Macross. 

• Osoroshii and Viceroy Bolda like this

#8 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

+1 to the Robotech/Macross list

I'm a huge fan of this series and especially of the Spartan/Gladiator Destroid (the green one with the big white fists).

• Osoroshii likes this

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#9 eldiablito

eldiablito

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I was such the B5 fan that I would probably squeel and dance if FFG released a fighter game for tha tol' universe.  I already have Fully painted fleets from Mongoose's capital ship game, A Call To Arms: vree, Brakiri, Vorlon, Minbari, Shadow.  Then, I also have the lead for Earth and white star fleets.  The only reason I never got Centauri nor Narn was my gaming buddies had them covered in spades.  Come to think about it, I would still buy one or two of the iconic Centauri and Narn ships if the price was right.  Sigh…

Also, if any other universes were released, them I'd give them a try, but only if the points and ships were compatable; just imagine my imperial tie fighters fighting someone's cylon raiders!  I'm not going to build 100 point fleets for every darn sci fi series in existence…

#10 Vagabond Nomad

Vagabond Nomad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Would definitely want to see the Battlestart Galactica ships.  Then, I'd be interested in seeing the Buck Rogers ships.  Then maybe Traveller (like the Scout Type S), and even the Terran Trade Authority.

• oneway and Shadowmancer like this

#11 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Vagabond Nomad said:

Would definitely want to see the Battlestart Galactica ships.  Then, I'd be interested in seeing the Buck Rogers ships.  Then maybe Traveller (like the Scout Type S), and even the Terran Trade Authority.

BSG was the first thing I thought. Not nearly enough ships for its own game, but I'd love it if FFG did a Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider release that could work with the X-Wing game. Use the same type of packaging and give them appropriate pilot cards, secondary weapons, other upgrades and I'd pick up 4-6 of each of them even if they weren't legal for official tournies.

• Prevailing Winds likes this

#12 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Just some ideas for ships and pilots from the revisioned Galactica – feel free to pick apart

Colonial Viper MKVII

• Stats: 3 2 5 0
  • Focus, Boost, Missile Launcher (1)
  • X-wing maneuver dial but can perform K Turns at all speeds

Nugget “Trainee” - 17

Pilot: 2

Vigilantes Squadron - 19

Pilot: 4

Lee Adama “Appolo” - 23

Pilot: 7 w/Elite Pilot Skills

Special: Increase this ships agility by 1 if within range 1 of another friendly ship

Kara Thrace “Starbuck” - 25

Pilot: 9 w/Elite Pilot Skills

Special: Increase this ships attack dice by 1 if ship has just completed a red maneuver

Cylon Raider

• Stats: 2 3 3 0
  • Evade, Boost, Missile Launcher (1)
  • TIE maneuver dial but can perform K Turns at all speeds

Raider - 13

Pilot: 1

Veteran Raider - 16

Pilot: 4

Scar - 21

Pilot: 7 w/Elite Pilot Skills

Special: Can perform red maneuvers without receiving a Stress Token

Cylon Heavy Raider would be a large class model and Colonal Raptor would be a medium…best guess

• oneway and Captain Lackwit like this
  • Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#13 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Red Dwarf and theTardis what would be there stats?  :)

• msanders75, Duke of Advil and Crabbok like this

#14 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Personally i'd kill for a Space Battleship Yamato conversion.Lots of fighter designs to choose from

• Joe Boss Red Seven and Drakhan Valane like this

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#15 Drendar

Drendar

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Starlancer would be brilliant, tons of fighters, tons of options, and two major sides.

You could theoretically have a Four-Pack for BSG, Viper II and VII, and the Old and New Cylon Raider (could also do a Cylon transport and a Raptor as other ships, possibly even a Blackbird).

Edited by Drendar, 19 November 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#16 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I would love to see a stand-alone game similar to FASA's old The Last Starfighter game, with a single Gunstar which has to take out a fleet of Deck Fighters and Cargo Ships (called The Swarm in the game). An exquisitely detailed model of one of the best starfighter designs ever? I am THERE!!

But combined with X-wing? No, never. It would be insane and would lead to no end of nerds saying things like, "The TIE Fighter can't possibly be more powerful than the VF-1 Valkyrie!" and "There's no way a Shadow Fighter is slower than an X-wing!" and so forth. It's all one big mess whenever universes cross for the purposes of combat (just look at all the Star Wars vs. Star trek sites out there).

Rebel Alliance: 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#17 Drendar

Drendar

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

I would love to see a stand-alone game similar to FASA's old The Last Starfighter game, with a single Gunstar which has to take out a fleet of Deck Fighters and Cargo Ships (called The Swarm in the game). An exquisitely detailed model of one of the best starfighter designs ever? I am THERE!!

But combined with X-wing? No, never. It would be insane and would lead to no end of nerds saying things like, "The TIE Fighter can't possibly be more powerful than the VF-1 Valkyrie!" and "There's no way a Shadow Fighter is slower than an X-wing!" and so forth. It's all one big mess whenever universes cross for the purposes of combat (just look at all the Star Wars vs. Star trek sites out there).

I'm a forums member of a website called "Space Battles" (the considerably nicer distant cousin of a website called StarDestroyer.net) and they've been calculating the weapon yields of specific ships for years, you would not want to know the disgusting amount of time, effort, and energy that is spent on that website attempting to apply real-world yield calculations to the weaponry of fictional vessels.

#18 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Yeah mix it up baby

There are WWI and WWII planes available from Wings of Glory which would suit to x-wing - and there are the Attack Wing ships. Mix it all up to a complete mess and have fun. Dont forget to add some custom dice and cards that ensure neverending games and fun. But please don't bother real X-Wing players with your experiences.

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#19 ErrantKknight

ErrantKknight

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

I would love to see a Attack wing version of X-wing. Think of all the capital ship options that the Star Wars universe has. Especially when you get into the EU.

• oneway likes this

4 A-wings, 2 B-wings, 3 X-wings, 2 Y-wing, 2 YT 1300, 1 HWK 290,

8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors, 2 Tie Advanced, 3 Tie Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 2 Lambda Shuffle

#20 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Can we have stats on this thing please.

Tardis.png

• oneway, Viceroy Bolda, Drakhan Valane and 2 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS