FFG OP policies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Just curious, does FFG ban/restrict cards or do they issue erratas to make a powerful card more managable?  I only ask because I was looking through the AGOT FAQ and there was a ton of erratas to cards. Where those overpowered cards or where they just printing errors?

#2 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Keep reading the AGoT FAQ and you will see that they ban, restrict, and errata cards. They do all three as they deem necessary. Those things can happen for a lot of different reasons. Sometimes there are printing errors. Sometimes a card is not overpowered when it is originally printed, but, due to interactions with subsequent cards, it becomes overpowered later. Sometimes a card interacts with other cards in a way that was not intended, and it affects the game to such a degree that it takes away from the relative spontineity of the play environment (e.g., nearly every deck includes it, etc.). Cards that suck the fun out of the game get banned, altered, or put on the restricted list. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#3 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

I wonder how a banned/restricted list will work with the star wars game.  I wonder if they would just ban/restrict an entire ojective set if one of its cards was too powerful. 

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

More likely for errata and restricted to be used in this game than outright bannings as it would require the entire pod to be banned.

#5 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Restricting will be ackward as well because its going to limit the whole objective set, or possibly more than one objective set.

Hypothetical situation here, lets say Jedi Mind Trick was deemed too powerful, its in the Jedi Training and Forgotten Heroes objective sets. That would restrict some good LS cards.  

Pretty much what I am getting at is if a restricted card is in more than one objective set its going to have a major impact on that side of the force. Imagine DS losing Force Choke, Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine would be negativelt affected by it.  That would be wierd.

I suppose its not worth worrying about until it happens.  

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

They could still restrict stuff by cards as you can have one of the restricted cards in your deck (same as other LCGs) so your choices would be limited to only one of the pod(s) that has a restricted card in it. For example if Force Choke is restricted and another DS card you would be limited to only for your restricted choices between the choice of pod(s) that contain Force Choke or pod(s) that contain the other DS card.

#7 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I do hope that FFG decides to wait a long time to restrict, ban, or amend anything in this game, and that, if they do, they do so extremely sparingly. I think that some cards have been restricted or amended too soon in AGoT, and, in my opinion, even unnecessarily. 

I think it is acceptable and natural to have cards that are simply amazing cards, that almost everyone includes in a given deck archetype. I am a proponent of not restricting, banning, or amending unless some card creates an infinite combo or situation that automatically wins games, and is nearly impossible to stop. I prefer that FFG err on the side of not amending, restricting, or banning cards. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS