Into Ithilien: deck lists

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

This is a threat to discuss decks and strategies for winning in Into Ithilien.  This is not meant to be a thread for discussing whether or not you enjoy the quest -- it seems to be a divided issue, and there's plenty of discussion already going on here.  Let's try to keep this thread focused on figuring out a winning strategy.

I had a bunch of failure tonight.  Our strategy was to fill our decks with cheap allies who can contribute to Battle quests, using Gondor allies with the new Boromir and cards that benefit Gondor characters.  It was critical for us to get rid of Ithilien Road in the first turn.  We would have to go all-in when questing, and if we failed at our task this meant at least two undefended attacks from the Southron Companies (and therefore dead heroes).  We had Denethor and Eleanor in there at first, but had more success after we switched them out for Beravor and Legolas, respectively.  Mostly we lost on 1B.  We got to 3B once, but this revealed a weakness in our decks (low willpower) and we hit the threat ceiling before getting past the stage.  However, if we had gotten to 4B and survived the initial attack from the enemies built up in the staging area, we stood a good chance of rushing to victory during the Siege on 4B.  Elrohir, Defender of Rammas, Winged Guardian, and Beregond (plus miscellaneous) were all on the table at one point.  With the staging area emptied out and if we survived that initial slaughter, we could potentially have rushed to victory.

What I took from this is that I'll need allies with better potential to do both Battle and traditional questing (probably Dwarves are the strongest bet here, with Dain in charge).  Having strong defenders in your deck is a great idea to rush through the final phase, assuming you have more than 37 threat when you get there (which seems pretty likely!).  Eleanor seemed like a good idea but ended up being dead weight most of the time. Denethor too.  He doesn't have enough life to take attacks from enemies in this quest, despite his high defense.

Looking forward to input and ideas for winning strategies.  We have yet to complete this quest!

I'll try to post my deck, sorry if this fails the first time as I'm trying to post in a format that haven't used before.  Here are the decks that we tried:
EDIT to fix deck posting

Into Ithilien - Lore/Leadership

Hero (3)
Boromir (HON) x1
Denethor (Core) x1
Elrohir (TRG) x1

Ally (28)
Guard of the Citadel (Core) x3
Envoy of Pelargir (HON) x3
Faramir (Core) x2
Ithilien Tracker (HON) x3
Warden of Healing (TLD) x3
Hunter of Lamedon (HON) x3
Dunedain Watcher (TDM) x2
Gandalf (Core) x3
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x2
Gleowine (Core) x2
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2

Attachment (12)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Forest Snare (Core) x2
Song of Wisdom (CatC) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x2
Song of Kings (THFG) x1
Dunedain Warning (CatC) x3

Event (13)
Dawn Take You All (RtM) x2
For Gondor! (Core) x2
Lore of Imladris (Core) x2
Sneak Attack (Core) x2
Word of Command (TLD) x2
Wealth of Gondor (HON) x3

------------------------------------------------

Into Ithilien - Spirit/Tactics

Hero (3)
Beregond (HON) x1
Elladan (RtR) x1
Eleanor (Core) x1

Ally (22)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x2
Defender of Rammas (HON) x3
Eagles of the Misty Mountains (RtM) x3
Gandalf (Core) x1
Gondorian Spearman (Core) x3
Landroval (AJtR) x2
Rider of the Mark (RtR) x2
Vassal of the Windlord (TDM) x3
Winged Guardian (THfG) x3

Attachment (11)
Song of Travel (THoEM) x2
Unexpected Courage (Core) x1
Rivendell Blade (RtR) x3
Resourceful (TWitW) x2
Horn of Gondor (Core) x1
Citadel Plate (Core) x2

Event (20)
A Test of Will (Core) x2
Behind Strong Walls (HON) x3
Blade Mastery (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x1
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Feint (Core) x2
Foe-hammer (OHaUH) x2
Hasty Stroke (Core) x2
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x2

#2 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

I realized there's a similar thread going on here .. I'd read it a few days ago then forgot about it.  Oops!  Good stuff going on over there. Anyway, I've changed my decks a bit and will try again this evening.

#3 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Alright, finally had victory against this scenario with 2 players.  Only took 13 tries!!  I've said it before, I'm not the strongest player, but 1 in 13 is ridiculous even for me.  We switched to Dwarf decks, and I cannot credit deck construction for winning the scenario.  Rather, lucky draws from both the Encounter deck and our Player decks.  Still, there had to be something done right in the player decks or we wouldn't have even gotten that chance!  For anyone interested, here is the play-by-play of the game, and below that a deck list.

Heroes: Beregond, Thalin, and Dwalin for player 1, and Dain, Gloin, and Ori for player 2.

Victory came on the fourth turn.  Spirit/Tactics started with A Test of Will, which we used to cancel a Blocking Wargs on turn 1.  I also played a Dwarven Axe on Thalin, increasing his questing power to 5 on a Battle quest with Dain present.  Lore/Leadership quickly filled up her party with dwarves (and, funnily, forgot to use Ori's ability to draw extra cards on the last couple of turns).  The newer Gandalf card made an appearance at the end.

Our strategy was to rush and engage as little as possible (yeah I know, extremely unthematic for this quest, but it worked). Everyone except Dain and Beregond quested whenever they could contribute.  On turn 1 we finished Ithilien Road, and the two defenders took the Southron Companies out of the staging area (one returned there after attacking due to a shadow effect). On turn 2, we finished 1B and went to 3B with Celador stlil in play. At that point a Southron Company was still engaged. Beregond blocked, and Celador plus an Ithilien Guardian, who had just jumped to Beregond’s party, finished it off with the aid of a timely Ithilien Guardian shadow effect. We turned an Archery enemy in the staging area to our advantage by placing damage on Gloin and getting paid for it.  Stage 3B was finished on turn 3, and at that point our threat was just 30, so only a 25-threat spider engaged us (and a lucky thing it was too, as there was a Mumak in the staging area). The spider nearly killed Beregond thanks to a shadow effect and its When Revealed text, but Blade Mastery pushed his defense up to 5 and saved his life. We finished the game on the next turn, counting Willpower and not Defense on 4B because our threat was low.  But we didn't win without a last scare: Blocking Wargs came out again, and this time we could not cancel it. Several allies were killed (also removing Celador from the game in the process), but we still came out with 26 willpower versus 9 threat in the staging area, and victory!  Extremely lucky encounter draw, I think.  Final score 106 (30 points for three refreshes, plus 31+31 for threat trackers, plus 14 damage distributed among heroes).

#4 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

And the decks.  It took these particular decks 5 attempts to win at this scenario.

Into Ithilien - Dwarves, Spirit/Tactics

Hero (3). Starting threat = 28
Beregond (HON) x1
Thalin (Core) x1
Dwalin (KD) x1

Ally (27)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x3
Bofur (TRG) x2
Defender of Rammas (HON) x3
Eagles of the Misty Mountains (RtM) x3
Gandalf (OHaUH) x1
Landroval (AJtR) x2
Northern Tracker (Core) x2
Rider of the Mark (RtR) x2
Vassal of the Windlord (TDM) x3
Winged Guardian (THfG) x3
Zigil Miner (KD) x3

Attachment (14)
Dwarven Axe (Core) x2
Horn of Gondor (Core) x1
Resourceful (TWitW) x2
Song of Travel (THoEM) x2
Unexpected Courage (Core) x1
Dwarrowdelf Axe (KD) x3
Ancient Mathom (AJtR) x3

Event (13)
A Test of Will (Core) x2
Blade Mastery (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x1
Feint (Core) x2
Hasty Stroke (Core) x2
Khazad! Khazad! (KD) x3

Into Ithilien - Dwarves, Lore/Leadership

Hero (3), starting threat = 28
Dain Ironfoot (RtM) x1
Ori (OHaUH) x1
Gloin (Core) x1

Ally (28)
Erebor Hammersmith (Core) x2
Dunedain Watcher (TDM) x2
Dori (OHaUH) x2
Erebor Record Keeper (KD) x2
Faramir (Core) x2
Fili (OHaUH) x2
Kili (OHaUH) x1
Gandalf (OHaUH) x3
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x2
Gleowine (Core) x2
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2
Longbeard Map-Maker (CatC) x3
Warden of Healing (TLD) x3

Attachment (12)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Dunedain Warning (CatC) x3
Legacy of Durin (TWitW) x3
Song of Wisdom (CatC) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x2

Event (13)
Durin's Song (KD) x3
For Gondor! (Core) x2
Lore of Imladris (Core) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x2
Wealth of Gondor (HON) x3

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS