Toronto, ON Players

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nytemare

nytemare

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I saw in the where are you thread, we had a few fellow Torontonians.  If you are old sw:ccg players I may even know you :)

Others I saw where @chubacca, @xorkaya and @cleardave

If anyone is interested in setting up some games, let me know.  Sounds like you may all have got your cards from the same place I did, 401 Games :)

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I could be into it, but I don't have the game yet. In fact, I didn't realize it was already available! I'll check out 401 tomorrow…

#3 nytemare

nytemare

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

i recommend picking up 2 core sets.  it will run you about $70 if you can swing it, but you will never go wanting on cards (max 2 of each objective per deck, some only 1).  I also got the fancy sw card protectors :)

#4 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

nytemare said:

I saw in the where are you thread, we had a few fellow Torontonians.  If you are old sw:ccg players I may even know you :)

Others I saw where @chubacca, @xorkaya and @cleardave

If anyone is interested in setting up some games, let me know.  Sounds like you may all have got your cards from the same place I did, 401 Games :)

In fact I picked my Core Set up from Heavy Support games, on the west end, which is usually where I get my goods from, though I have on occasion opted for 401.

#5 XorKaya

XorKaya

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely up for a game sometime.

Only have 1 core set so far.  I'll probably pick up a second one once the first expansion comes out and I have a few games under my belt. I've only played 2 games so far… both using the default 48 card Imperial deck. I want a few more games to get a feel for it before I get into customizing and deckbuilding.

Also, I've just created a Facebook group for Toronto SWLCGers. Feel free to join. (Sadly right now the only ones int he group are myself and my girlfriend whom I used as a dummy user just to be able to create the group. :P This isn't really her thing.)

http://www.facebook....08772152535631/

#6 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

XorKaya said:

Yeah, I'm definitely up for a game sometime.

Only have 1 core set so far.  I'll probably pick up a second one once the first expansion comes out and I have a few games under my belt. I've only played 2 games so far… both using the default 48 card Imperial deck. I want a few more games to get a feel for it before I get into customizing and deckbuilding.

Also, I've just created a Facebook group for Toronto SWLCGers. Feel free to join. (Sadly right now the only ones int he group are myself and my girlfriend whom I used as a dummy user just to be able to create the group. :P This isn't really her thing.)

http://www.facebook....08772152535631/

Honestly, I'd suggest getting the second Core Set well ahead of the Hoth packs.  Diving head-first into deckbuilding is intimidating enough, but if you're doing it for the first time, both in this game, and in general, having less options to work with will make it easier for you to get over that initial hurdle of "can I do this?" and seeing it play out on the table.

2 Cores gives you the duplicate Objectives to focus on a couple of synergies that are floating around in the game currently, and you should be able to slap it together pretty quickly.

Once you've played "those" games a couple of times, and experimented with swapping out an Objective or two, you'll be comfortable with that deck, and deck building in general, to tackle the next layer of it, which is incorporating the newest card pool into your plans.

To look at it in a simpler way, I'll use the X-Wing game as an example.  While you're not building a "deck" in X-Wing, your list is still constructed out of a selection of cards, which are ultimately represented on the table by models.

Right now, I feel like I have a "solid" Rebel list, and an equally "solid" Imperial list that I run.  What I mean by "solid" is that each component of the list (in this case, pilots and upgrades) has a specific use on the table.  There is zero filler.  Whether or not they're tournament-winning top-tier lists is debatable, but they have on-paper functionality and there's a definite strategy to how I would field them.

Over multiple games, I have made very small modifications to it, and I sort of float between Subtle Change A and B, but essentially it's "done".  When the Wave 2 ships are all out on shelves, I'll have to again evaluate those tournament style lists I have for both sides and start to think about how they stack up against the game environment with Wave 2 on the table.  Maybe it holds up, maybe I need to make a small change, or maybe I need to scrap the whole thing and rebuild both sides from the ground up.

If I just got into list building in X-Wing after Wave 2, there are that many more options I need to get into, play test and learn the hard way about before I would feel comforable building an "all comers" kind of list I could play competetively.  Going from Wave 1 to Wave 2 is less of a journey, as the core competencies of making a good list are already in your head, and you can tweak and play as you go.  You'll also develop a better eye for evaluating the uses of the new stuff, which is easier to do on its own, without also trying to figure out "what's good" with the rest of the sets.

#7 chubacca

chubacca

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yo, count me in. Picked up my first core set at 401 Games, but still haven't managed to play a game (against myself) yet. I live in Scarborough but I can definitely commute downtown.

#8 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I am in TO and I have a copy of the core set.  It would be great to have a gaming night. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS