• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AM_Odin

AM_Odin

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hi all, 

I finally got around to typing all melee and ranged weapon descriptions into strange eons and adding pictures to make a nice set of item cards for Warhammer 3rd.

The net result after using Indesign to lay out work sheets is quite nice (at least I think so):

One problem I found out when printing the cards on my home printer is that I can't get the front and back to line up properly and the print quality is very poor. So here is a big question. Does anyone know a service that let's you print out a quality version of Strange Eons cards for a reasonable price? 

Thanks

#2 Mark Theurer

Mark Theurer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I've not used them for Strange Eons cards but I've been pretty happy with the service from artscow.com.  I've used them to print up cards for a bunch of different games.  They are standard playing card size so I'm not sure how that would work with the output form Strange Eons.  I've recently come across printerstudio.com which offers Bridge, Tarot and oversize cards but have not tried them yet.

Mark

#3 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

I just print them single sided on thick printer card, seems theres 2 types of printer card, this one i use is stiffer than the other one, cut them up and glue the two sides together. I have had practice of this sort of thing though, in a previous job. If i was doing them doubled sided, I would have to measure out margins, column widths etc to get everything lined up correctly.  You have to remember the right on sheet one is the left on sheet 2.

Couldnt find a crafts shop to sell the thicker card for standups and career sheets. But i might just print the career sheets on paper and get them laminated.

On your printer settings does it give the option to increase the quality of the printout? Some are set at low or normal and to get the best you need to set them at high.  Also some have a dpi setting, which you can increase for better looking pictures.

#4 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

They look very cool. If you are willing to share them, I am interested.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#5 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Ceodryn said:

They look very cool. If you are willing to share them, I am interested.

Cheers

Ceodryn

I also think they look cool.  Even put me in mind of items from Baldurs Gate and starting off with equipment that was cursed to break. Oh to have an npc with a swordbreaker or parry dagger http://en.wikipedia....Parrying_dagger.

I only thought of the obvious stuff, now you have given me ideas of other stuff i can add.

#6 Veteres

Veteres

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I would also be interested.

#7 Mexorlon

Mexorlon

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Count me in, the more visual the better

#8 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

has anyone got the LF strange-eons plugin to work with strange-eons v3 ?

#9 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

Love these! They look VERY good!

I really like using item cards. We use them for anything and everything a character owns or is carrying.

1st. It really helps my players keep track of what they actually have in their hands, so they are better able to plan manouvers to swap out what is in their hand with what is in their pack.

2nd. When they have to set an item down, they do so with their card on the actual table. I find it creates a more real roleplaying experience. There is rarely the "Ohh,. I never said I was picking my chest of gold back up, but I really did two scenes ago." 

I have even printed out pictures of "backpacks" on card stock and my players keep this to the left of their "Character area". They place the item cards on this backpack picture. When they want to take something out and hold it in their hand they move the item card from the backpack to the right side of the "character area" where they have a small picture of a right hand and a left hand. It also makes it MUCH easier for me to give detailed, exciting descriptions of the action that takes place as I can SEE what that character just hit the cultists with. I don't have to pause or ask, I can just roll right along with description, take a quick glance at the card and use it in the verbal battle description. ----  It is also nice when I see the item cards that have been dropped on the table by players during a scene. It helps me to remember what the scene actually looks like and I can then incorporate it into the ongoing description of the story or the scene as it develops. I realize it may sound "nitpicky" but my players have stated that they relly enjoy playing with the item cards in this manner. It adds a sense of realism and that they have better visual sense of their character.   

I have found the Game Mastery Item Card series (found on the Pazio site)  (  http://paizo.com/pro...rion-Crown-Deck )    to be VERY good, with an area on the back to write in your details about the item. ( My group "discovered" the use of these cards by listening to one of the reckless dice podcasts) Being that FFG is a pretty big "card making" company, I would LOVE to see some POD sets of item cards for WFRP3e. 

Please let me know if you plan on offering these to the "public".

Thanks, and really nice job!    

#10 AM_Odin

AM_Odin

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thaks for the tips on printing companies and for the compliments on the cards. I would love to share these but that would violate FFG copyright and Beteshda's for starters. So I suspect my forum account and this post would not stay up long. Maybe I can think of a way to get the harder to get pictures from the public domain this way, then all you need to duo its type the rules yourself. A bit of a waste of time, but that its international copyright for you :(

#11 AM_Odin

AM_Odin

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thaks for the tips on printing companies and for the compliments on the cards. I would love to share these but that would violate FFG copyright and Beteshda's for starters. So I suspect my forum account and this post would not stay up long. Maybe I can think of a way to get the harder to get pictures from the public domain this way, then all you need to duo its type the rules yourself. A bit of a waste of time, but that its international copyright for you :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS