• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Well Community,

here I am, waiting for my copy of STAR WARS: TCG and I couldn't be happier. I liked all the demos & videos from the gameplay I've seen so far and with that I am confident that I am going to like the game.

I'm not new to card games (have played and stopped M:TG for several times and even dipped in WH:I), so I especially like the mechanic, that cards in your hands can get you favor in a decisive battle, even you just hope they will win you an edge battle and in order to maintain the force, you can't commit everything to the battlefield.

Also since I tried the LCG out with WH:I, I really like it. I just never dipped to deep into WH:I, because I was already late for the party and I had to buy a ton of cycles (I like to collect) some of them already sold out… With being a Star Wars Fan it was natural I already took a closer look at the game. Being an LCG it was also great to convince some ppl to play with me (Nothing is more convincing, when you say "You don't have to buy anything, I got you covered").

Now there is another juicy question. I read that in order to have the full potential you have to buy another core set. No worries with that, I know what I spend in M:TG and with the force packs having all that is required with one purchase, I'm okay with that. But do I end up with more cards I acutally can play by buying a econd core set? Are there some missions that are limited to one?

Also, having not bought a single WH:I pack, are the cards easily identified, in which pack they go? I can imagine, that you can identify them for each cycle, but can you easily spot on the cards from which force pack they have been?

Well that are all my questions for now, I figure more arise, when I actually hold the cards in my hand. So long …

… and may the force be with you.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Yes there is some cards that are limited to one objective set per deck. Not many and you can use them in other decks.

The cards in all LCGs have a symbol on the card that tells you what set the card is from. For Star Wars core set it is the SW between the objective set number and the card number. For the first Force Pack cycle, Hoth, it is an AT-AT.

#3 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Buying two core sets, you end up with 2 of every objective set except Hit and Run for the light side and it's equivalent for the Dark Side, where you get 4 instead. All of the objective sets that you can only use 1 of are neutral, so they work well in most decks (no need for resource matching for their command cards) and situational (a lot of decks won't use/need them). However, there are a lot of sets you won't use. Two copies of the core set gets you enough cards to make one really good deck from each of the fully expanded affiliations at a time. If you want to use the better sets from an affiliation you already have a deck built for, you'd have to break the other deck down though. Luke, for example, finds his way into almost every Jedi deck, and since two core sets gets you two copies of him, you'd have to constantly break and remake decks. It's really not that bad though.

#4 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Eruletho said:

Buying two core sets, you end up with 2 of every objective set except Hit and Run for the light side and it's equivalent for the Dark Side, where you get 4 instead. All of the objective sets that you can only use 1 of are neutral, so they work well in most decks (no need for resource matching for their command cards) and situational (a lot of decks won't use/need them). However, there are a lot of sets you won't use. Two copies of the core set gets you enough cards to make one really good deck from each of the fully expanded affiliations at a time. If you want to use the better sets from an affiliation you already have a deck built for, you'd have to break the other deck down though. Luke, for example, finds his way into almost every Jedi deck, and since two core sets gets you two copies of him, you'd have to constantly break and remake decks. It's really not that bad though.

Well,

since the company I should have got my first CORE SET still saying they are awaiting stock, I ordered it some place where they have stock (importing in germany, so I select german retailers). Now I will have two core sets and at least enough of every copy I can use in a single deck - correct me if I'm wrong here?

I do not mind always creating a new deck … I think always deconstructing and reconstructing will force me to look at all cards and maybe see other usage, especially when further force packs land ^-^o.

But again, two core sets got me covered (and a friend of mine, who will be my opponent). Correcto?

#5 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Kiwamu said:

Well,

since the company I should have got my first CORE SET still saying they are awaiting stock, I ordered it some place where they have stock (importing in germany, so I select german retailers). Now I will have two core sets and at least enough of every copy I can use in a single deck - correct me if I'm wrong here?

I do not mind always creating a new deck … I think always deconstructing and reconstructing will force me to look at all cards and maybe see other usage, especially when further force packs land ^-^o.

But again, two core sets got me covered (and a friend of mine, who will be my opponent). Correcto?

Exactly right. Two core sets allows you to build any possibly legal deck at this point for both factions. You should only need 1 of each force pack, going forward, for this to remain true

#6 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Eruletho said:

[…] You should only need 1 of each force pack, going forward, for this to remain true […]

Which is totally awesome, if only MAGIC would have gone this way… but no :(

#7 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

Well, Magic is a CCG, the entire business model revolves around putting out hordes of randomized boosters and include only a few rare or chase cards. Similar to that are most other card games (pokemon, yugioh, L5R, WoW) and some more basic miniatures games (SWM, heroclix). Star Wars is a LCG, living card game, which focuses on every player having every card, making them accessible to everyone, and is more about building the better deck with the cards at hand than it is having the better cards at hand

#8 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I know, I know, it's just sad, that they didn't switch inbetween :(, because I had fond memories of the game… not so much the randomized collecting. Lucky me I made the jump :).

#9 Devlan

Devlan

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Eruletho said:

Exactly right. Two core sets allows you to build any possibly legal deck at this point for both factions. You should only need 1 of each force pack, going forward, for this to remain true

So are the force packs giving out two copies of each objective set? Thank the gods for this.

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

LCG expansion packs always give the maximum amount allowed. So for force packs you get two of most objective sets and one of the limit one per deck objective sets. Every pack comes with 10 objective sets. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS