Fall of the Jedi - clarification

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mike the Turtle

Mike the Turtle

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Fall of the Jedi says "After your draw phase begins, place 1 card from your hand on the bottom of your deck"

When does this actually happen - before I draw my cards, or after? I assume it would be BEFORE - but the way the card is worded, I'm not so sure. It be clearer if it said something like 'before you draw' or 'at the beginning of your draw phase' - the use of the word "after" makes it sound like after you've drawn your cards.

#2 Wheelz

Wheelz

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I would have thought it means as soon as the phase begins, ie. before you draw. What is more important with this card is that is this card that you put onto the bottom of your deck in addition to the card you can discard or does it mean that the discarded card goes to the bottom of your command deck instead of the discard pile?

#3 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Wheelz said:

I would have thought it means as soon as the phase begins, ie. before you draw. What is more important with this card is that is this card that you put onto the bottom of your deck in addition to the card you can discard or does it mean that the discarded card goes to the bottom of your command deck instead of the discard pile?

Until such time as the people at FFG say otherwise, we have been playing this effect as follows:

1) draw phase begins

a) after draw phase begins responses trigger (fall of the jedi… one or both if you have them in play)… at this time you would put one, or two 

(depending on the number of "fall"s you have in play) on the bottom of your deck

2) player has choice to discard one card from their hand

3) player draws or discards till they reach their reserve limit.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Stormwolf27 has it right. Also note that it is completely optional, you don't have to put any cards under your deck if you like your hand.

#5 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Are you sure it is optional?  It looks like it is mandatory because it doesnt say may.  I am not familiar with FFG templating or maybe I missed something in the rules but in my opinion its mandatory.

#6 ndavis678

ndavis678

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

The fact that it doesn't say "forced response" is what makes it an optional trigger. You can choose to activate or not activate responses and interrupts as long as the forced keyword isn't included in it.

#7 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

It is optional because it is a "reaction," in bold with a colon, which means the player can choose whether or not to trigger it.  By contrast, a "forced reaction" is mandatory and must be triggered when its conditions are met.  See p. 25 of the rules

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

For the reasons explained above, yes I'm sure it's optional.  For an example of a non-optional reaction (ie forced reaction), see the Rancor.

#9 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

Ok, so i missed something in the rules.  I am from MTG so I am use to optional abilities saying may and if it doesnt say may then there is no option.

#10 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yea being a player of the old Decipher game I thought you HAD to put a card back. It is nice to know I'm wrong. Thank you!

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hey cooleo- Good to see that I'm not the only SWCCG player (red_5ccg on the PC boards) to pick up this game.  It's a ton of fun so far!  :-)

#12 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

dbmeboy said:

Hey cooleo- Good to see that I'm not the only SWCCG player (red_5ccg on the PC boards) to pick up this game.  It's a ton of fun so far!  :-)

Oh, I played SWCCG for years (quit aroubd when Death Star II came out) - IMO, still the most elegant game mechanic I have ever come across.

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

It is a great game.  Luckily, I feel that the SWLCG is a different enough style of game that I can easily enjoy playing both games.  Having 2 fun Star Wars card games (and a good miniatures game) will never be a bad thing. :-)

#14 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

dbmeboy said:

It is a great game.  Luckily, I feel that the SWLCG is a different enough style of game that I can easily enjoy playing both games.  Having 2 fun Star Wars card games (and a good miniatures game) will never be a bad thing. :-)

x2. SWCCG will forever be the best card game ever made. However I'm enjoying a break from it right now and I really like this game. I bought the x-wing game but I haven't had time to try it out yet

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

The X-Wing game is also good.  If you're not really into miniatures games it might not be your thing, but if you like them and you like Star Wars then you should definitely enjoy it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS