Expansion 3 Premonitions and Wishful Thinking

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think that the expansion will contain at least the Tie Bomber and B-wing.  The following is what I expect these fighters will be built like.

*** Tie Bomber

2  3  5  0, Target Lock, Focus, Evade, two missiles and one bomb.

The model will cost 15 points for a base unnamed pilot to 24 for named pilot with medal.  No barrel role because the Tie Bomber is harder to manuver.

*** B-winig

2 2 5 4, Target Lock, Focus, Evade, two proton topedos and one cannon.

The model will cost 21 points for base unnamed pilot to 28 for named pilot wiht medal.  Because the the B-wing wing rotates around the cockpit, the ship can take an evade token as an action.  The B-wing will also get one addition agility dice compared to the Y-wing because of the rotating wing.

Now for the wish list.

I would like to see a missions box, something a little like the starter box.  This box would include severval new missions and tokens for the mission.  It will also include some unique pilots for already existing ships and some new, unique, and addition hard to get upgrade cards.  The set would also contain another set of movement and measuring rulers; would be nice if they were plastiic instead of conpressed cardboard.  Most importantly the box would contain two fighters.  An Imperial shuttle and a Senotor's shuttle to be used with the missions.

One mission I could invision in this set is the a mission where the Imperial player is trying to protect the Imperial shuttle while the Rebel player is trying to Ion cannon it X times to steal it, say for an elite mission to land on the planot Endor.

Those are just some speculations, feel free to make some contributions to what you think Expansion 3 may look like.

#2 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

CPTMcMurphy said:

I think that the expansion will contain at least the Tie Bomber and B-wing.  The following is what I expect these fighters will be built like.

*** Tie Bomber

2  3  5  0, Target Lock, Focus, Evade, two missiles and one bomb.

The model will cost 15 points for a base unnamed pilot to 24 for named pilot with medal.  No barrel role because the Tie Bomber is harder to manuver.

*** B-winig

2 2 5 4, Target Lock, Focus, Evade, two proton topedos and one cannon.

The model will cost 21 points for base unnamed pilot to 28 for named pilot wiht medal.  Because the the B-wing wing rotates around the cockpit, the ship can take an evade token as an action.  The B-wing will also get one addition agility dice compared to the Y-wing because of the rotating wing.

Now for the wish list.

I would like to see a missions box, something a little like the starter box.  This box would include severval new missions and tokens for the mission.  It will also include some unique pilots for already existing ships and some new, unique, and addition hard to get upgrade cards.  The set would also contain another set of movement and measuring rulers; would be nice if they were plastiic instead of conpressed cardboard.  Most importantly the box would contain two fighters.  An Imperial shuttle and a Senotor's shuttle to be used with the missions.

One mission I could invision in this set is the a mission where the Imperial player is trying to protect the Imperial shuttle while the Rebel player is trying to Ion cannon it X times to steal it, say for an elite mission to land on the planot Endor.

Those are just some speculations, feel free to make some contributions to what you think Expansion 3 may look like.

I can't see the Bomber having 3 AG, 1 is most likely. 2 would be ABSOLUTE tops.

The B-Wing, I think will have 3 attack.

Based on the Y-wing, I can't see either ship's elite pilots having elite pilot talents, though would be more likely to see 1 on the B-Wing than the bomber.

#3 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I agree with the TIE Bomber and B-wing being in set 3 but then it gets interesting:

• Tie Bomber -  1 3 5 0, Target Lock, Focus, Evade, four missles or bombs - No ELITE skills - cost (no clue)
  • B-wing - 3 2 5 4, Target Lock, Focus, Evade, two missles and Ion cannons - No ELITE skills - cost (no clue)
  • Lambda class T-4a shuttle - 1 2 5 4, Focus, Evade, Blaster cannon, Gunner - No ELITE skills - cost (no clue)

but those are the last recognizable small ship's from the original movies. So my wish list for the forth spot: (in no particular order)

• TIE Defender
  • Skipray Blast Boat
  • YT-2400 “Outrider”
  • Z95
  • V-wing
  • ARC 170
  • X and Y wing repaints

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#4 Rowdy

Rowdy

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Wishfull thinking but I hope they do a ground based set. I know the snowspeeder will be hard to replicate at 1/270 but I see no reason why X-Wings can't mix it up with AT-ATs etc. 

Thinking maybe turbo laser turrets to enhance the trench run, Hoth defence turrets,  AT-ATs, AT-STs all with new tokens, upgrades rules etc.

Also would give the Tie Bomber something realistic to bomb.

My two cents is all.

#5 sozin

sozin

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

CPTMcMurphy said:

The set would also contain another set of movement and measuring rulers; would be nice if they were plastiic instead of conpressed cardboard. 

Check out these excellent acrylic range and maneuver templates from Applied Perspective. $14.99 + shipping, various colors.

#6 CenturionCajun

CenturionCajun

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

I definately agree that the TIE Bomber and B-wing are shoeins for Wave 3. They will most likely have either incredibly powerful shields and no agility or one agility. As for larger craft they will probably need to begin dipping into the Expanded Universe. They might also go for some a bit larger. The Millenium Falcon and Slave I are "medium" craft which implies they will be going for "large" craft at some point. I can easily see a Corellian Corvette making an appearance.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

CenturionCajun said:

The Millenium Falcon and Slave I are "medium" craft which implies they will be going for "large" craft at some point.

Actually, they call the Falcon and Slave I "large" ships.  You can see that in the rules pamphlet here.

#8 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Nevermind. Stupid computer.

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 5 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s<p>Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas

#9 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

CenturionCajun said:

I can easily see a Corellian Corvette making an appearance.

Someone else figured out that in order to make a Corellian Corvette to scale, it would be something like 40 feet long. I'm guessing no on the Corvette.

#10 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

OMG. I thought we had finally put the "medium" ships thing to rest. Sigh.

Be seeing you.

#11 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

CenturionCajun said:

Someone else figured out that in order to make a Corellian Corvette to scale, it would be something like 40 feet long. I'm guessing no on the Corvette.

I’m working on a scale CR-90 corvette right now. In 1/270 scale it is only 55.6 cm I finished a 1/270 scale GR-75 Medium Transport and it’s only 33.3 cm. Pictures of the transport are on the forums under 1/270 scale GR-75 Medium Transport in the X Wing battle reports. I know it's a odd spot to put it but I'm new to this post thing and it was my first post.

#12 Uniangle

Uniangle

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

It is time for a playable Death Star. Card just says- You Win.

#13 Winged Gundark

Winged Gundark

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

It would cost to much.  I think the enemy would catch on you want to play a million point game.  Also those rebels pulled it off once considerably under pointed.

#14 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Uniangle said:

It is time for a playable Death Star. Card just says- You Win.

Let's look at tournament records:

The Death Star's first match was against Alderaan, which was a peaceful planet with no weapons. After some deft maneuvering, the Death Star moved into Range 1, rolling an extra attack die, and critted. Alderaan conceded the match because it had no weapons to attack back with. Death Star 1-0.

The Death Star's second match was against a merry band of snubfighters, which the Death Star didn't consider to be a threat at all. The Death Star's laser batteries couldn't handle the maneuvering of the Rebel forces, so Imperial Reinforcements were brought in, to the tune of the greatest star pilot in the galaxy. Despite many Rebel ships being destroyed, a proton torpedo shot from Luke Skywalker critted the Death Star. It was a complete victory for the Rebels. Death Star 1-1.

The Death Star's next battle was against another merry band of Rebel fighters and former smugglers who don't like their deals being altered. After some big hits to the Rebel fleet, the Rebels finally took out the Death Star's shields, so now every hit would be hull damage. A small Rebel force flew into the Death Star's tunnels, got to within Range 1 of the reactor, and rolled really well, and the Death Star suffered Structural Damage. The Death Star couldn't recover from the critical hit, and was destroyed again. Death Star 1-2

So, judging by the Death Star's winning percentage, I don't think the card should say "You win", I think it should say "You win against all peaceful, weaponless planets. Against anything else, you lose."

#15 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I think the TIE Bomber will have agility 1, and I also don't see it having the evade action. I expect shields and/or higher hull points then the average TIE

#16 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Darkjawa said:

I think the TIE Bomber will have agility 1, and I also don't see it having the evade action. I expect shields and/or higher hull points then the average TIE

No way it will have shields. I would expect 5 hull and 1 AG, comparable to the Y-Wing.

#17 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

hothie said:

CenturionCajun said:

Oh God no. However, it's still not a realistic option: There's an existing 1/350 resin kit which is somewhere/approximately 15" in length. That would make a 1/270 kit generally/vaguely 19.5" in length. Smaller than forty feet, but still too big to be usable in the game. Or remotely affordable.

A STAR DESTROYER now… that might shake out to 40'.

#18 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ah, I see wookieepedia says a CR90 is 150 meters long, and an Xwing is 12.5 meters long. That would make it 12 times the length of an Xwing. Got it. Star Destroyers vary in length, so maybe that's what we were talking about.

#19 Kamaka

Kamaka

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Rowdy said:

Wishfull thinking but I hope they do a ground based set. I know the snowspeeder will be hard to replicate at 1/270 but I see no reason why X-Wings can't mix it up with AT-ATs etc. 

Thinking maybe turbo laser turrets to enhance the trench run, Hoth defence turrets,  AT-ATs, AT-STs all with new tokens, upgrades rules etc.

Also would give the Tie Bomber something realistic to bomb.

My two cents is all.

Dude I'm on the same page as you.  A new expansion with snow speeders and AT-AT's would be awesome.  I can imagine a little string tied to a snow speeder model attempting to circumvent x amount of revolutions around an AT-At before it can blast you out of the sky.  I would also like to see a set with a Bespin could car or a B-wing or Tie Defender. I don't see a Tie Bomber being very effective in a Dogfight.  It would only be useful in an addition of ground battle rules.

#20 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

The CR90 dimensions got me to thinking, this is 20 inches long, which is pretty close to scale:

After my son goes to bed, I'll try and get a base made up for it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS