Rebel squad- What do you guys think?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TacticalBastrd

TacticalBastrd

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Im pretty new to the game. What do you guys think of this squad? 

"The probability of a successful dice roll is inversely proportional to the relative amount of negative impact its failure will have on your character."  -Murphy's RPG Corollary-

Co-Host of The Sabacc Table Podcast

#2 TacticalBastrd

TacticalBastrd

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

if you click on the image you can see the whole thing.

"The probability of a successful dice roll is inversely proportional to the relative amount of negative impact its failure will have on your character."  -Murphy's RPG Corollary-

#3 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

There is poor synergy here and you will have trouble taking on swarms.

On the balance, named pilots abilities are usually better than proton torpedoes.

I suggest swapping out the Rookie Pilot for Biggs with R2-F2, which is also 28 points.

.............._____________________
|------------/_____________________\ #RIPHughsey #408 #63notoutforever
|------------\_____________________/ #putoutyourbats #staystrongseanabbott

#4 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

godofcheese said:

There is poor synergy here and you will have trouble taking on swarms.

On the balance, named pilots abilities are usually better than proton torpedoes.

I suggest swapping out the Rookie Pilot for Biggs with R2-F2, which is also 28 points.

I got to agree…..Biggs is good and if you drop the torp off of Wedge you could add Luke with Swarm Tactics

• Luke w/R2-D2 and Swarm Tactics
  • Wedge w/R2 and Expert Handling
  • Dutch w/R5, Ion Cannon and 1 Torp

99 points…I've ran this with good affect but to be honest a 4 ship rebel build is the best

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#5 Iceplague

Iceplague

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, as some might have said, it has poor synergy. And I agree.
By using a 3 x X-wing hero roster instead, I usually find myself being out manouvered by heavy TIE Fighter rosters.
But using 4 rebelships is a good thing indeed, though some people make really good use of their 3 x X-wing hero rosters by using crazy synergies, so it's up to the player really.

I ran a 4 ship roster the first time I played X-Wing.

• Dutch w/R2 and Ion cannon
  • Biggs w/R2-D2
  • Rookie X-wing
  • Rookie X-wing

I faced 4 x Tie Academies with Howl Runner (swarm) and Vader (squad ldr).
I ended up loosing 1 X-wing, but killed Vader and 3 Tie's, he gave up after he lost Vader and I was most likely to get into firing range in 2 turns of the remaining 2. The only reason I lost my X-wing was that it took 4 points of damage in turn 2 and then he thought life was miserable and decided to run into an asteroid.. I simply chose 3 straight forward instead of 3 banking. May the brave unnamed pilot rest in piece.

But back to the topic. I say you should feel free to try out that roster of yours. See how it works. Then you spot the flaws in it and can alter it after your needs. Experiment with different rosters and try to get the ships to use each others special abilites, specially if using an all hero build, there the synergy needs to be good for them to work properly. I think that many ppl try to copy other rosters and still loose due to the fact that they don't know how to play them. There might be a special thought behind a specific roster that a deviuos player, obviously too mad for his own good, has cooked up in his cellar. So as I said, go experiment and see what YOU can cook together and then alter it if it didn't please you or your gaming style.

And just remember this, never fly alone with any ship, not even a fully kitted-out named one, I've gunned down many named pilots with ease as they've been cruising alone.
Last one was Wedge w/R2-D3 agaisnt 2 TIE's Academy Pilots. Sure both of the Academy Tie fighters got damaged in the process, taking a total of 4hits in 2 turns and survived only due to their evade actions. Wedge started firing and thought he'd surely kill 1 of the TIEs at range 1, making 4 hits with the use of a targetlock and me rolling 1 evade and using the evade token, so 2 hits. But the 2 Ties in return took out Wedge's shields and landed a hit on him from range 1&2. The next round wedge was outmanouvered by the ties as the damaged made a koigoran U-turn and the other one who was still in full health tried to get into a good firing position as I expected Wedge to do a green manouver to get up his shield back up again. And I predicted his move correctly and sure he made 2 new hits on the undamaged TIE, with 3 hits (re-rolling with targetlock) and me rolling poorly only taking away 1 damage by using the evade token. The 2 Ties then fired and made 5 hits on Wedge, both at range 1, killing him, despite him evading 2 of them.

#6 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Iceplague said:

Well, as some might have said, it has poor synergy. And I agree.
By using a 3 x X-wing hero roster instead, I usually find myself being out manouvered by heavy TIE Fighter rosters.
But using 4 rebelships is a good thing indeed, though some people make really good use of their 3 x X-wing hero rosters by using crazy synergies, so it's up to the player really.

I ran a 4 ship roster the first time I played X-Wing.

• Dutch w/R2 and Ion cannon
  • Biggs w/R2-D2
  • Rookie X-wing
  • Rookie X-wing

I faced 4 x Tie Academies with Howl Runner (swarm) and Vader (squad ldr).
I ended up loosing 1 X-wing, but killed Vader and 3 Tie's, he gave up after he lost Vader and I was most likely to get into firing range in 2 turns of the remaining 2. The only reason I lost my X-wing was that it took 4 points of damage in turn 2 and then he thought life was miserable and decided to run into an asteroid.. I simply chose 3 straight forward instead of 3 banking. May the brave unnamed pilot rest in piece.

But back to the topic. I say you should feel free to try out that roster of yours. See how it works. Then you spot the flaws in it and can alter it after your needs. Experiment with different rosters and try to get the ships to use each others special abilites, specially if using an all hero build, there the synergy needs to be good for them to work properly. I think that many ppl try to copy other rosters and still loose due to the fact that they don't know how to play them. There might be a special thought behind a specific roster that a deviuos player, obviously too mad for his own good, has cooked up in his cellar. So as I said, go experiment and see what YOU can cook together and then alter it if it didn't please you or your gaming style.

And just remember this, never fly alone with any ship, not even a fully kitted-out named one, I've gunned down many named pilots with ease as they've been cruising alone.
Last one was Wedge w/R2-D3 agaisnt 2 TIE's Academy Pilots. Sure both of the Academy Tie fighters got damaged in the process, taking a total of 4hits in 2 turns and survived only due to their evade actions. Wedge started firing and thought he'd surely kill 1 of the TIEs at range 1, making 4 hits with the use of a targetlock and me rolling 1 evade and using the evade token, so 2 hits. But the 2 Ties in return took out Wedge's shields and landed a hit on him from range 1&2. The next round wedge was outmanouvered by the ties as the damaged made a koigoran U-turn and the other one who was still in full health tried to get into a good firing position as I expected Wedge to do a green manouver to get up his shield back up again. And I predicted his move correctly and sure he made 2 new hits on the undamaged TIE, with 3 hits (re-rolling with targetlock) and me rolling poorly only taking away 1 damage by using the evade token. The 2 Ties then fired and made 5 hits on Wedge, both at range 1, killing him, despite him evading 2 of them.

good advice ice. i prefer the 4 ship rebel squads to the 3 ship ones, its just too much pressure on u once u lose a ship early if u r left w just two. as a rebel i prefer wedge with swarm tactics in the mix. he makes ur rookies alot more deadly, provided they stay close.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Since you asked about this squad, I'll do my best to talk strictly about it.

As your opponent, I will be focusing on Wedge. Wedge's main achilles heel is his lack of defense. Often times he will be out in the first combat round unless you boost his agility with R2F2 or run him alongside Biggs. Other cards in Wave 2 will help him as well when that wave releases. But until then, he's fairly fragile as you have him listed, so you should expect your opponent to try and knock Wedge out quickly.

You seem to rely heavily on your torps. I think you will find on these boards that there have been mixed results when using torps. I myself have had very poor luck with them, so I typically won't use them. But that doesn't mean you won't have good luck with them, so maybe they will work for you.

Also something to keep in mind, R5D8 and Expert Handling are both actions. So if you plan on using them, you will be giving up your other actions to do so. Granted, Dutch will pass out Target locks like they're candy, so it won't be quite as detrimental to you to have those Upgrade cards, but it's just something to think about.

Your 2 Xwings will need to be effective with their torps before they go down, because 1 Ywing against anything is a losing proposition for you. Having R2D2 on Dutch will definitely keep him alive longer, but your main weapon will be your Ion cannon, and that only does 1 damage per round. If you can pull off a Range 1 primary shot, that would be good, too, but otherwise the odds are against you.

I'd say play it a few times and see how it goes. Expect your 2 Xwings, especially Wedge, to be targetted and destroyed the soonest. I don't know if that fits your play style, but that's how you should expect your opponents to play.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#8 TacticalBastrd

TacticalBastrd

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I will try it out and see how it works. When you do  your 4 ship builds, do you tend to go 3 x-wings, 1 y-wing? 2x & 2y? or some other combonation? 

#9 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

TacticalBastrd said:

Thanks for the help guys. I will try it out and see how it works. When you do  your 4 ship builds, do you tend to go 3 x-wings, 1 y-wing? 2x & 2y? or some other combonation? 

3-1, heres a possible sqd

wedge (29), swarm (2)

rookie pilot (21)

rookie pilot (21)

gold squadron pilot (18), ion cannon (5)

96 Points, leaving u 4 pts for upgrades. most likely a droid in wedge, alternatively you could go with Biggs (25) instead of one of the rookie pilots which would actually be a good way to keep damage of wedge early on making Biggs the sacrificial lamb.

i personally really like swarm on wedge as ur wingmen get to fire before most enemy ships. Bear in mind wave2 upgrades might replace it but imo thatsa  pretty solid 4 ship build.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#10 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

TacticalBastrd said:

1 Ywing is often good enough, especially when a base Ywing will set you back 23 points (inclusive of ion cannons), but a base Xwing would cost you 21 points instead.

#11 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

I've used Wedge, Biggs, and two Gold Squadron Y-wings with Ion Cannon Turrets with decent success. This was, however, against smaller Imperial squads, so maybe it didn't matter so much what I had, but how many ships I had. I'd like to experiment more with other 4-ship squads to see how they play.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS