Noob needs help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi guys if for some of you my questions will look stupid, it's your problem seriosly, but i would really appriciate some help around here

First question, what sleeves do i need for the game i'm talking about regular no extra art sleves on game page it just FFG Sleeves 5, is this one i need FFS05?

Second: How good is game for person who loves Dominion, i know it might be weired to ask this way but at least it might be some reference that might help. How fast does game flows, are there really different strategies to win?

Third. Booster packs says Q1 any exact date?

Thanks for those who spent their time helping noob :-)

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Baramon said:

First question, what sleeves do i need for the game i'm talking about regular no extra art sleves on game page it just FFG Sleeves 5, is this one i need FFS05?

Second: How good is game for person who loves Dominion, i know it might be weired to ask this way but at least it might be some reference that might help. How fast does game flows, are there really different strategies to win?

1) Regular standard card game sleeves same you would use for any other CCG/TCG except for Yu Gi Oh which uses smaller cards.

2) Game is still very new so strategies and stuff are still being discovered but so far I would say the answer is yes there is many different strategies and no doubt some still undiscovered.

3) FFG does not give exact dates for product that is a few months out yet. Since the game came out in December most likely February or March before the first Force pack of the Hoth cycle is released as it is standard for FFG to have a 1 month "break" after a major release like a core set. Once it gets closer that will be updated to a more exact time frame as in which month.

#3 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for detailed answer, really appriciate it.

i totally noob to TCG games, if it's not too much of me to ask could point me how many sets of sleeves and which one exactly i need.

Thank you.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Well that kind of depends on what you want and how many decks you plan to have built at one time. At minimum you probably want 100 sleeves, 50 for LS and 50 for DS command decks. The FFG Star Wars sleeves come in packs of 50. That is what I use for my decks, with different designs for each deck to help distinguish them. For your objective deck you only need 20 assuming two decks. I just use some extra dragon shield clear sleeves for those and the Affiliation cards.

#5 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

A single deck will need, realistically, 64 sleeves.  50 for the command deck, 10 for the objective deck, 3 for the Force cards, and one for your faction card.  I have two fully sleeved core sets so I don't have to resleeve anything.  That was 480 sleeves.  It'll cost you $30.  But totally not neccessary. 

#6 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I get about quantity since it's easy to count number of cards that comes with game, what i was really asking what's the card size because on page below i can't find anythere saying fits for star wars. All  i just need to know what protectors i need in order to fully sleeve all cards that in te box of the game

http://www.fantasyfl...esem=2&esum=123

Also Does Deck Box holds Card in Sleeves?

#7 Wheelz

Wheelz

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hi

The types of sleeves you need are just standard ones,  the two types i use are UltraPro Standard or FFG Grey packet sleeves.  Also I have my cards in the FFG card boxes which allow them to be sleeved.

If you are wanting to keep them in the star wars box then yes you can lay them down sleeved in the box, or you could turn the insert upside down giving you two chanels at either side of the box, one for your DS and one for LS

#8 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

http://store.fantasy...s.cfm?SKU=FFS05 those?

All cards same size? Objectives card also?

As for Deck box i ment this http://store.fantasy...s.cfm?SKU=FFS57

Will it fit in sleeves, we're travelling a lot and it would be nice to minimize game size by purchasing those

#9 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

can anybody help?

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

All the cards are the same size objective and command deck cards. Just get whichever standard sized sleeves you like the best. Or if you want lots for a good price get some Dragonshield Sleeves. For a deck box just grab whichever ones you like. I just bought a bunch of Ultra Pro deck boxes at the Dollar store.

#11 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Does Dragonshield Sleeves better than FFG games sleeves?

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Baramon said:

Does Dragonshield Sleeves better than FFG games sleeves?

Dragonshields are made by FFG. 

#13 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

dragonshields are made by FFG, but are not quite the same as FFG game sleeves. I have a ton of the board game mini sleeves, as well as the new start wars art sleeves, as well as Draognsshields. I prefer the dragonshields to anything more than 15 cards that I'm gonna have to shuffle. THe star wars sleeves make everything bulkier and not much fun to shuffle. I have them on the afifliation cards, force commitance cards, and the objective decks. Everything else is in dragonshields

#14 Baramon

Baramon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks a lot guys for detailed answers.

#15 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Baramon said:

Hi guys if for some of you my questions will look stupid, it's your problem seriosly, but i would really appriciate some help around here

Thanks for those who spent their time helping noob :-)

Don't ever feel that you need to preface your "noob questions" with something like that.  We were all new to something once, and if someone's going to jump down your throat for wanting to get into a game, and thus grow the community, then they're the ones that need to leave.  Calling them out just gets their troll dander up.

Anyways, as far as sleeves go, I've been using Ultra Pro's 66x91mm clear sleeves for all my card games.  I had originally started sleeving using FFG's grey pack of clear sleeves, but they went out of stock and I needed some, so I discovered Ultra Pro's and the rest is history.  They're the same price, but I find they fit the cards a little better, whereas FFG's Grey pack leaves a little extra "sleeve" around the edges.

For this game in particular, I also aquired Ultra Pro's coloured back sleeves.  I use the coloured sleeves for Affiliation cards, Force Cards, and Objectives.  When I have everything sleeved and sorted, the coloured sleeve makes it easy to see where all the Objectives are in the box, versus the Command cards.

I use blue sleeves for the Light Side, and Red for the Dark Side, to match the card backs.

As far as a Dominion comparison goes, and by extension the deck-building genre in general, it's really a different beast altogether.  I play Resident Evil and Thunderstone, and while "gameplay" is great in those, and this game, the actual act of putting your deck together is what separates the two.

In deck building games, we all have the same card pool to work with, and it's basically a race to optimize your own deck while messing with your opponent's.

In Star Wars, you and your opponent both are building your decks prior to the match, so there's some certain skills that go into that, versus just opening up Dominion and playing.  You may find deck building games are more friendly to players that are coming over for game nights, because there's less work involved in getting it going.

Even if you're building decks for your opponent, I find it's never the same as building it yourself, unless you're both prepared to have a quick discussion on what's in the pre-built deck, and how they should expect to play it (ie-what combos to set up, what to watch out for, etc).  Especially if you're just starting to deck build with a new game, like this one, you may wind up making something unbalanced, based on everyone's lack of experience.  That said, I would net deck it for both of you to keep it fair.

Another caveat is that deck building games tend to support more than two players, whereas Star Wars currently supports strictly 2 players, with hints of an expanded multiplayer option in the future.  Games like Thunderstone can even be played solitaire, but you can't play a true solitaire game of Star Wars.  So if it's you and one other, jump in and enjoy Star Wars, but to bring it to a game night with 4 people would not be optimal, unless you have 2 people working each deck and collaborating on the decisions.

I find that when you know what you're doing, the game flows well.  Sometimes I get into an analysis paralysis mode, but I think that's because I'm also learning this game, not in the sense of the rules, but in being able to see a few turns ahead to the consequences of your decisions.  That should improve with experience though.

Assuming you're comfortable with the rules and strategy, you can zip through a match in 30-60 minutes, depending on how it goes.

For strategies, yes, there are a few so far, and as expansions come in, that will just continue to grow.  For Light Side, you can try and run a Trench Run deck, where you want to get that card out ASAP, and build your deck around units that target Objectives, and some Focus support to block out your opponent's units.  A couple of really solid strikes on the Trench Run and it's good game.

Opposite to that, you could build a Dark Side deck around the Superlaser, to knock out Light Side Objectives fast, and speed up your Death Star dial.  Splash in a pair of Bespin Exchange Objectives and use Boba to capture some key characters with his Targeted Strike boost from the Mandalorian Armor.

There's more to the deck building to make those work, but in broad strokes, you can get a taste of what I mean, I'm sure.

A good resource for you, if you haven't discovered it yet, is www.cardgamedb.com

You can see individual cards, as well as search the database for cards by resource, Objective, etc.  It really helps make things easier if you're deck building.

For your last question, about the expansions, nobody has a real firm exact date yet, which is not unusual for FFG's product.  Q1 2013 is all we have to go on, but there's a strong feeling I've seen towards late January, or into February.  You can always keep tabs on its status on the Upcoming page at the  top of the screen.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS