• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Umgrimm

Umgrimm

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hey;

i want to start RPG and warhammer fantasy triggered me.

I was thinking about the core set. But then i saw that there were new releases for Player, GM and Monsters (+faults).

If i buy those what do i miss from the core set (beside dices)? Is the core still needed?

Also if i buy core set and only the vaults, do i miss something (the new player, gm, monsters guide?).

There is also a toolkit. Do i need that?

I was thinking to buy: Coreset, vaults, Gathering storm campaign, witches song, Edge of night. (are those the only adventures/campaigns?) Is that enough to play the game? do i miss something important?

Secondly i was thinking how the adventures and campaign(s) must beseen in relation to eachother. Are they loose games or do they follow eachother? can u start the next adventure with your prefious made character (which has now level 4…?) Or do you have to start over from level 1?

Thirth: What is the max level a character can achief?? (how fast?)

Fourth: I am not a GM focused player. Is it hard to make new campaigns/adventures? How long takes it to play the existing adventures/campaings. Are there different sideways in it? I mean by that: if you perhaps by example rescued 4 out of 7 hostidges is the game other then when you had managed to get to free 5,6 or7 out of 7? Or if you had succeeded in stopping the boss of getting away. Does the game have alternative acts?

fifth: are there miniatures for the characters?

sixth: are there tiles (maps) whre you can play on?

seventh: are there more adventures sceduled to be released?

eight:  there is a new star wars rpg. Does this game have just as many cards etc as warhammer rpg (or upcoming?)?

I hope someone or more can awnser some or all of these guestions for me

thanks

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Umgrimm said:

Hey;

i want to start RPG and warhammer fantasy triggered me.

I was thinking about the core set. But then i saw that there were new releases for Player, GM and Monsters (+faults).

If i buy those what do i miss from the core set (beside dices)? Is the core still needed?

Also if i buy core set and only the vaults, do i miss something (the new player, gm, monsters guide?).

There is also a toolkit. Do i need that?

I was thinking to buy: Coreset, vaults, Gathering storm campaign, witches song, Edge of night. (are those the only adventures/campaigns?) Is that enough to play the game? do i miss something important?

Secondly i was thinking how the adventures and campaign(s) must beseen in relation to eachother. Are they loose games or do they follow eachother? can u start the next adventure with your prefious made character (which has now level 4…?) Or do you have to start over from level 1?

Thirth: What is the max level a character can achief?? (how fast?)

Fourth: I am not a GM focused player. Is it hard to make new campaigns/adventures? How long takes it to play the existing adventures/campaings. Are there different sideways in it? I mean by that: if you perhaps by example rescued 4 out of 7 hostidges is the game other then when you had managed to get to free 5,6 or7 out of 7? Or if you had succeeded in stopping the boss of getting away. Does the game have alternative acts?

fifth: are there miniatures for the characters?

sixth: are there tiles (maps) whre you can play on?

seventh: are there more adventures sceduled to be released?

eight:  there is a new star wars rpg. Does this game have just as many cards etc as warhammer rpg (or upcoming?)?

The Core Set & Boxes are generally better value than the hardbacks.  The Player Hardback has some added clarity etc. but message boards can get you that information.  You absolutely need dice so the Core Set with dice is good.  The GM Toolkit is a lower value investment, only get it if you love game and want to create your own adventuers and have bought everything else.

The three boxes + Enemy Within are the released adventures.  Gathering Storm gives the best "value for money, mix of foes" etc.

The best things to get after Core Set are - Adventurers Toolkit (nice additional careers etc.) are the 4 ruinous power/expansion boxes in particular Winds of Magic and Signs of Faith.  Each of these also has a smaller adventure in it.

Play speeds are variable so that's tough to answer.  If you have ever designed your own stuff I would say designing adventures is no harder, in fact a bit easier in this system.  There are also lots of downloads of 2nd edition adventures etc. to revise/use.

No miniatures, the game provides cardboard standups.  If you want to use GW minis for creatures etc. you can.

The game uses narrative approach to space and time so grids/maps not necessary.

Other than Enemy Within just released we have silence about coming year (much fear of nothing more, otherwise uncertainty)

The Star Wars RPG uses some of the same concepts but does not appear to use the "card" approach (I've only seen beginner box).

#3 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I would second valvorik's suggestion.

First: Core set

Second: - Depends on how many players you have. If you need the components for a 4th player then I would purchase the player kit. If you don't need the components for a fourth player, then any of the 4 "ruinious powers" expansions would be next on my list. These not only introduce the chaos gods, but add additional rules "bad stuff" that can affect your PCs. These four expansions are:

The Winds of Magic: Obviously an expansion about Magic in the Old World (The Old World is the Setting for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay) but also includes new rules for Corruption which can lead to Mutations of your character. -- Good Stuff! 

Signs of Faith: An expansion about the religions and Priest Characters in the Old World, but also adds rules for Disease. (Do NOT read while eating!)

Omens of War: An expansion with additional rules about combat, soldiers, adoption of a fighting stance by the PCs, Horses and mounted combat.

Lure of Power: I don't own this one yet, but my understanding is that it includes new rules for dealing with Nobility and a PC's class or social status in the Old World. ( It is my next purchase)

Each one of these expansions also includes a FULL campaign with handouts and plenty of additional cards and tokens.

Good Luck and stay in touch and let us know how it goes! :)  

#4 Umgrimm

Umgrimm

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

hey

thanks for the fast replies nd advice :)

I understand it better now but cant place some things. The coreset i need for dices and crds i get that now :). But i thought it was a good ide to get at least the creature fault since all creatures hace cards that way and easy to play? Dont know about player and gm vault? So thats why i thought faults were a good thing to get also? I like cards because you dont have to look up everything and they speed up the progress for both gm and players and draws

The preset dventures and campaign i mentioned are good? You advice to get the winds of magic and other boxes with new rules etc. Why those and not adventures first?you more into the game.

Also i still dont know what is maximum level of a character? and how it works in relation to adventures and campaigns. Can i bring my character from one adventure to another when it has eg level 4? How does it work with npc attackers? I like the idea that one can level a character as far as possible and can do all adventures with it without getting to easy etc.

If there are no time and spaces how works movement then? I am curiuos (or dumb) I only have experience in movement games. Movement which get you next to creature and other places How does this work out in warhammer the? do you only get play combat? without moving?

also are there things that when u choose option a  (from a, b, c or d) that the game haas another turn about and therefore you can miss some things which could have been important at the end?

Hope i dont ask to many dumb questions…

greets

#5 x13phantom

x13phantom

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Just curious, what roleplaying games have you played in and have you ever gamemastered a rpg before?

#6 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hey Umgrimm,

Before I give anymore advice I should state that I am by NO MEANS anykind of WFRP3e expert. There are many, MANY others here that are FAR more experienced and knowledgable about the game, the rules, and the various products released for it, than I am.

Having said that, I will try to answer your questions as best I can without creating any further confusion.

Let's take your questions one by one:

"i thought it was a good ide to get at least the creature fault since all creatures hace cards that way and easy to play?" - The creature vault IS a good purchase and a VERY cool addition to the game. The best advice I can give regarding the creature vault is - by the time you get your group through the Day Late and a Shilling Short demo campaign AND get them through the Eye For an Eye campaign from the Core Set, you as GM and your group as players will have a better understanding for not only the game and it's mechanics, but for the various supplements available for it. At this time you and your players can decide "what to do next". If your group feels like their characters have enough diversity, and you as GM feel you have enough "tools" in your bag of tricks that you can pull out when you say to yourself "how can I negatively affect that player's rank 1 character for deciding to poke the sleeping Bloodthirster in the eye with his finger instead of trying to sneak past it?" ---- AND --- You as GM want to create your own full campaigns from scratch, then the Creature Vault isn't a bad purchase.  ----  For me personally (everyone has a different thought on this I am certain), while I throughly enjoyed the game through the demo campaign and the Core Set campaign, by the time we finished these I was wanting to offer my players additional "challenges" and to give their characters additional depth and diversity. Adding the "bad stuff" that comes with the additional rules like disease, corruption, mutation, severe wounds (these are very different than "critical" wounds. Severe wounds are things like losing a leg, or becoming blind, or permanently disfigured.) I thought the additional "bad stuff" would be a better choice, at that time in our game, than the Creature Vault. I should also mention that the additional rules helped me as a GM to create better adventures and found it easier to come up with ideas that "link" the pre-written campaigns together. Lastly, the "fluff" that comes with these supplements helped/helps my players to better understand the world they are adventuring in, offering a much more colorful and detailed environment. 

"The preset dventures and campaign i mentioned are good? You advice to get the winds of magic and other boxes with new rules etc. Why those and not adventures first?you more into the game."  You absolutely could, but I would refer you to the answer to your first question. Same reasons would apply here.

"Also i still dont know what is maximum level of a character?" Good question. I don't think there are any. The rules I have seen show them going through rank 10.

"how it works in relation to adventures and campaigns." At the end of a session (3, 4, 5 hours or more??) the GM assigns "experience points" to each character. These area given out EVENLY !  Each player gets the SAME number of experience points. The number is determined by the GM but 1 or 2 is typical. If it was a VERY long session or the players did REALLY well and made several advancements than 3 experience points isn't unfair. If I am not mistaken a general "un official" rule is about 3 experience points for an average length campaign. My players had 5 experience points by the time they had finished A Day Late and a Shilling Short AND Eye for an Eye.  Players can assign these experience points to "advances" for their characters and after 10 "advances" they can go up in "rank" if they want to.  Using these rough figures means that for a player to exceed rank 10 it would still take YEARS to get there, and that is if your group gets together EVERY WEEK,…. for YEARS!!  So I wouldn't worry too much about the rules for exceeding rank 10.

"Can i bring my character from one adventure to another when it has eg level 4?" You can take and do anything you want with your character,… GM approval of course,….

"How does it work with npc attackers?" Not really sure what you mean??

"If there are no time and spaces how works movement then?" There is DEFINETLY movement !! LOT'S of it !  Movement is one aspect of the game that MANY GM's and groups make "house rules" for. You will need to read the Core Set rulebook for the details, suffice to say you DO NOT stand still.

Hope this helps ?!?

To recap:

Buy Core Set

Read ALL books in Core Set - twice

Go to http://www.recklessdice.com and listen to the first 6 or 7 episodes completely.

Come back to forums to fill in any little holes you might still have.

Chop heads off Orcs and spit in necks,….  :)  enjoy!! 

#7 Umgrimm

Umgrimm

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

hello and thanks again;

i played some D&D and also SWRP a long long time ago. What i remember of it that there was maps on which you could manouvre your character on (movement) thus coming into contact with thugs and in and out of range rules etc My question about movement was bases on those fond memories. Is there any kind of such movement. How does it work in Warhammer?

Wehn a character gets xp and spends it it grows in power. The guestion about bringen those  characters to a new pre made adventure by FF. Eg you done the coreset adventures and grow in power. How does this compare to the creatures/enemies in the new adventure. are those also stronger? I mean if you have a rank 4 character brought to a new adventure but the difficulty of creatures/enemies is based on rank 1? How does it work?

thank you so far :)

#8 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Warhammer uses a more narrative concept of range.

You're Engaged, Close, Medium, Long, Extreme range from things.  You get a manoeuvre and action each round of combat.  It takes a different # of manouevres to change ranges and you spend Fatigue to take more than one.  So you take time to cover distance (someone shoots at you in meantime etc.) or you tire yourself out sprinting across it.

In terms of playing characters through adventures, lots of us have done that.  Some adventures are aimed for Rank 1, some 2 etc.  Monsters have a "skull rating" indicating how tough they are (more skulls, toughter).  However, the scaling of monster power etc. in WFRP is more an art than a science.  Groups vary wildly in their combat ability depending on how players choose to create PC's and some need more/tougher monsters than others.  So it's really something a GM has to develop a feel for and adjust for their table.

#9 ozean

ozean

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

Regarding getting XP and growing in power: In WFRP characters advance, but their advancement is relatively moderate when compared to games like D&D, where a level 15 character is practically invincible for level 1 characters. Characters remain more or less “human” in WFRP, they don’t become superheroes. Thus it is less complicated to adapt the difficulty of encounters in WFRP (the difficulty is much more dependent on what kind of careers characters have, a party consisting of a burgher, a scribe and a gambler, for example, will be ver  different in combat compared to a party consisting of a Soldier, a Troll Slayer and a Bright Mage…)

#10 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Download Liber Fanatica 7 and take a look at all the pregenerated characters.  That will give you a great sense of how to start.

http://www.liberfana...F7download.html

#11 Umgrimm

Umgrimm

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

thanks for the explaining. I really was curious how movement worked since i am used to play on grids and the characters move with their speed and then attack etc. But your explanation is good. It works all the same i see but only without the grid or one can make one :).

only remains the thing that monsters or enemies have to escape somehow and you have to hold/get them before they get to point x etc. how does it work? or can it work..

Also about leveling and monster stats i was curiuos how it worked when you had seay a level 5 char and moved to an adventure which uses level ? monsters. But with the skulls you can manipulated their strenght and so be more of a challenge. :) I like that.

thanks for all awnsers so far :)

#12 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

There is no "attack of opportunity" mechanic in WFRP, so both monsters and PCs can move about as they please. But you have to spend so called manouvres to move (you get one free per round). To keep a monster engaged or hindered from fleeing you need to use an action that provides that kind of effect. Even if the PC doesn't have the appropriate action (there's an action called "Grapple"), a similar effect can be obtained by using the "Perform a stunt" action (at the GM's approval).

Scaling the diffculty of the published adventures may be a little bir tricky, but once you've GM'd 5-10 sessions it should be easier. In any case, I don't think you need to scale the difficulty of the published adventures unless your players are rank 3 or upwards. If you feel the starting encounters are too hard/easy just remove/add some opponents of the same type that already exist or decrease/increase the ACE budget (a pool of dice the GM have to enhance the NPCs in each encounter). The difficulty of a given encounter can also always be scaled down on the fly by not using all of the dice in the ACE budget.

Have fun! 

#13 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

*only remains the thing that monsters or enemies have to escape somehow and you have to hold/get them before they get to point x etc. how does it work? or can it work..

Well, since your experience isn't drawn from murdering people and taking their stuff (usually ;), again it just comes down to a GM using his brain.

*Also about leveling and monster stats i was curiuos how it worked when you had seay a level 5 char and moved to an adventure which uses level ? monsters. But with the skulls you can manipulated their strenght and so be more of a challenge. :) I like that.

This is incredibly rare, and WFRP3 doesn't really increase in power the way that other games do.  In WFRP3, all characters begin very powerful and pretty much stay that way…but in reality, characters are still only taking ONE action per turn.

The boxed set, "Hero's Call" has rules for making monsters more powerful.  I'll put together something to make them weaker..in a moment.

jh

#14 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

This might help.  This is a blank template akin to the ones from Hero's call where you can make a creature "tougher."  I'd recommend using it to make a creature "weaker" as well.

For example, a Dragon, could be made a hatchling by simply putting "minuses" on each of the categories.

I'm not sure how you may want to balance things out.  If your group has more than two characters with weapon skill/Ballistic skill, then they are a "tougher" group.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS