Benefit of capturing cards?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Imcoming4u

Imcoming4u

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I finding it hard to see the benefit, to me it just keeps cards in the game to be played again if there rescued… Am I missing something?

#2 StarDuster

StarDuster

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

If you capture a nicely equipped Yoda, for instance, he is captured and all his equipment cards are lost to the discard pile. Yes, they can then "free" Yoda, but they loose him until they can defeat the objective AND have to pay his cost again. Additionally cards like "Redemption" and "Return of the Jedi" cannot effect him while he is [being] captured.

#3 Rozgutt

Rozgutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Also, I may be wrong, but if a player would have another Yoda on hand, he could not play this card because it's already on the table.

#4 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Rozgutt said:

Also, I may be wrong, but if a player would have another Yoda on hand, he could not play this card because it's already on the table.

The Yoda captured is out of play and upside down. Therefore, another copy could be played. Capturing is useful because it removes important cards and slows down your opponent. If you can capture their Luke for 2 turns that would slow them down a large amount. Plus they have to pay another 4 to paly him again. If you can actually pull off capturing it is quite strong.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

With the exception of recursion mechanics like Return of the Jedi, I would generally prefer destroying a unit to capturing it. Either way they have to pay for the card to play it again, but a captured unit gives them an extra way to get the card back in hand.

#6 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

It could also be a way to direct what objective your opponent targets.  Grab his one copy of Han Solo, and he might be inclined to go after that objective rather than one you don't want him to.

#7 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

or you can capture all their cards in the heart of the empire…..is not like you are not losing if they destroy that objective ;)

#8 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Plus, this game is not like some other card games that allow a person to have 3, 4, or 5 of a card in a deck. Once Luke is captured, you have 50% of their Lukes.   :)

*Yes, there are certain cards like Espo Trooper that can be in a SW:LCG deck as more than a 2x. But, as it is now, the big main heroes would be a 2x max in any deck due to the limit of 2 of the same objective per deck. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion

A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#9 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

I would imagine that future expansions will explore the capturing theme more.  You could do a lot with it, for example have cards that grant bonuses or icons if you have a certian number of cards captured. 

Should be interesting where they go with it.

#10 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

Maybe a LS card that lets you use a captured card to inflict damage on the objective at which it's captured?

#11 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Imcoming4u said:

I finding it hard to see the benefit, to me it just keeps cards in the game to be played again if there rescued… Am I missing something?

I could see Capturing being a big theme of S&V whenever it gets more cards. Fett's gotta pay for his Vette somehow.

Maybe a objective that has a reaction where, when you kill a LS unique unit you can capture it instead under it, and while there's a captured unique under it the objective gains Elite?

#12 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Capture mechanic is quite strong.

There are currently four ways to capture.

• Randomly capture from hand
  • Capture one from top three of opposing deck
  • Capture as an event against attacking characters/droids
  • Capture through damage against characters

Capturing can trigger two cards which remove focus tokens from non-units and objectives.

Capturing removes cards from enemy sphere of influence (not in deck, hand, play, discard).

Capturing directs people to attack specific objectives

--------

Capturing is also powerful for LS -- specifically with Leia. Being able to make an attack against objective 1 with everyone, then suicide run with Leia on objective 2, then sacrifice Leia if she didn't die to refresh all units and make an attack against objective 3. Then regaining Leia to hand by killing objective or using Rescue Mission to do it again next turn.

Once Leia is on the board, it's very hard to get rid of her…permanently.

#13 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

FiendishDevil said:

Capturing is also powerful for LS -- specifically with Leia. Being able to make an attack against objective 1 with everyone, then suicide run with Leia on objective 2, then sacrifice Leia if she didn't die to refresh all units and make an attack against objective 3. 

Combine this with Wookiee Navigator and you can attack the same objective twice in the same turn with fully refreshed units.

#14 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Another upside of capturing is avoiding hitpoints.  To kill a major unit, you may have to dig through 4 or 5 HP to drop it to the discard pile, and it may not even stay there.  This would take some focus fire, a window for healing if they are Jedi, and possibly more than one conflict.  One wound from Boba Fett and the card is gone until (if) it gets rescued.

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

LMKComaBlack said:

Another upside of capturing is avoiding hitpoints.  To kill a major unit, you may have to dig through 4 or 5 HP to drop it to the discard pile, and it may not even stay there.  This would take some focus fire, a window for healing if they are Jedi, and possibly more than one conflict.  One wound from Boba Fett and the card is gone until (if) it gets rescued.

That would be a much bigger concern if such a unit existed.  However, the biggest LS characters have only 3 HP (Luke and Obi-Wan).  The only LS unit (not even limited to characters) that has more than 3 HP is the Redemption at 4 HP, and it can't be captured by Fett or Detained but just by the 2 objectives since they grab cards from hand or command deck.  Capturing stops Return of the Jedi shenanigans, but other than that destroying a unit deals with it better than capturing it (because capture has a built-in way to rescue the unit).  I really see it as a theme that could be expanded upon in the future and be pretty good, but right now I don't think it's really living up to its potential.

#16 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

dbmeboy said:

LMKComaBlack said:

That would be a much bigger concern if such a unit existed.  However, the biggest LS characters have only 3 HP (Luke and Obi-Wan).  The only LS unit (not even limited to characters) that has more than 3 HP is the Redemption at 4 HP, and it can't be captured by Fett or Detained but just by the 2 objectives since they grab cards from hand or command deck.  Capturing stops Return of the Jedi shenanigans, but other than that destroying a unit deals with it better than capturing it (because capture has a built-in way to rescue the unit).  I really see it as a theme that could be expanded upon in the future and be pretty good, but right now I don't think it's really living up to its potential.

While yes, there is a built-in way to rescue the captured cards, that built-in method is to destroy the objective those cards are captured at, something a defensive Dark Side deck should excel at preventing. Destroying the unit is more permanent if your opponent isn't playing the Jedi recursion cards, but capturing important cards forces the Light Side to play on your terms.

#17 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

D.Knight Sevus said:

dbmeboy said:

LMKComaBlack said:

While yes, there is a built-in way to rescue the captured cards, that built-in method is to destroy the objective those cards are captured at, something a defensive Dark Side deck should excel at preventing. Destroying the unit is more permanent if your opponent isn't playing the Jedi recursion cards, but capturing important cards forces the Light Side to play on your terms.

I guess the difference for me is that all LS decks will be designed to destroy objectives while only some of them can use RotJ.

#18 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

dbmeboy said:

*snip*

I guess the difference for me is that all LS decks will be designed to destroy objectives while only some of them can use RotJ.

While that's true, but by playing on your terms, I mean specifically this:

As a Light Side player, if I see my opponent flip over The Emperor's Web, my first priority is to destroy that objective, unless I have a Trench Run or they also flip over The Heart of the Empire. Web is not only the squishiest Dark Side objective, but also one that makes Sith Control that much more efficient. Now, if suddenly one of my critical cards is captured at a different objective, say Cruel Interrogations, I have to make the choice to either prioritize the capturing objective or play without that card, neither of which are really to my benefit. And if I do have the Trench Run, committing to the Trench Run means I forfeit the captured card.

Capturing right now isn't really about denying your opponent their card, but controlling the priorities of the Light Side player, and as a control player, that's a very potent ability. Try viewing and playing with it through that lense.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS