Planning Phase Time Limit?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jolleyone

Jolleyone

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Do you think there should be a time limit for the planning phase?

Either in tournaments, or in friendly play……

If so how much time should be given, and should it be determined per # of ships, or just an arbitrary #?

I dont want to get "knit picky", or bog the game down, but I do want to get on with the game and have fun.

#2 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

No there shouldn't be, just as there isn't in other TT games such as Warhammer 40K/Fantasy.  If you feel like your opponent is taking an unusually long amount of time I would say you should nicely ask him to hurry it along.  Even then I'd probably see if it was just that turn that may have vexed him or if it was a continual problem before saying anything

#3 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Acebaur said:

No there shouldn't be, just as there isn't in other TT games such as Warhammer 40K/Fantasy.  If you feel like your opponent is taking an unusually long amount of time I would say you should nicely ask him to hurry it along.  Even then I'd probably see if it was just that turn that may have vexed him or if it was a continual problem before saying anything

Other table top games have turn limits, particularly Warmachine/Hordes.  So it is not correct to assert that other Table Top games don't.  Also 40K is really not positively known for thier tournament systems.  Comp scores and such.

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

In a tournament setting, you should call a judge over and the judge can make a determination regarding slow play.

#5 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

ScottieATF said:

Acebaur said:

Other table top games have turn limits, particularly Warmachine/Hordes.  So it is not correct to assert that other Table Top games don't.  Also 40K is really not positively known for thier tournament systems.  Comp scores and such.

Turn limits is completely different than a time limit on a certain phase of the game. I've never seen a TT game that says you have X amount of time to complete this part of the turn. It is always you have X amount of time to finish the game.

Comp is virtually non-existant in the States so 40K's tournament system is generally well accepted here. (personally I think comp is a load of BS and would never play under it as telling me what I can and can't field from my legal codex is completely against the spirit of the game and competitive play.)

#6 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Acebaur said:

ScottieATF said:

Acebaur said:

Turn limits is completely different than a time limit on a certain phase of the game. I've never seen a TT game that says you have X amount of time to complete this part of the turn. It is always you have X amount of time to finish the game.

Comp is virtually non-existant in the States so 40K's tournament system is generally well accepted here. (personally I think comp is a load of BS and would never play under it as telling me what I can and can't field from my legal codex is completely against the spirit of the game and competitive play.)

He told you, Warmachine/Hordes has a turn time limit.

Also, I don't play 40K, so can't comment there, but do play Fantasy and it's BROKEN, in a big way. I wouldn't play a tournament without comp in fantasy as you would save time just asking each player to roll a dice and the highest score wins. It's about how much skill is required to get a win in an uncomped Fantasy tourny.

#7 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

He told you, Warmachine/Hordes has a turn time limit.

Also, I don't play 40K, so can't comment there, but do play Fantasy and it's BROKEN, in a big way. I wouldn't play a tournament without comp in fantasy as you would save time just asking each player to roll a dice and the highest score wins. It's about how much skill is required to get a win in an uncomped Fantasy tourny.

Yeah I saw that, but is each part of the turn timed? Or simply the entire turn. There is a difference(I don't play Warma-Hordes but I imagine its the latter)

Fantasy and 40K are inherently imbalanced anyway, so it's not surprising to hear your experience with Fantasy. Any system that doesn't release all the army codexes at the same time as a new core rule book is going to have problems, especially when you have books that are SEVERAL editions out of date.

Edit: this site has the worst mechanics, can't even quote something without clicking the quote button :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS