Multiple boxes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gedaning

Gedaning

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I have a simple question, I was told that I have to by 2 boxes of the starwars LCG to get everything in the game (so far) is that true and if it is are there 2 different boxes with different cards or do I just buy 2 copys of the core set to get all the cards to build any deck i want to? 

#2 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

To play, you just need one core set. To play competitively or to max out on certain objective sets, you need to buy two copies. Going forward you will need to only buy one of each force pack as they contain 2 copies of everything that is not limited.

MOD - Is there any way to pin this topic? I'm really tired of seeing it.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#3 iStasis

iStasis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

At the moment and from my personal view is get one core box and play the 4 pre built decks as per the rule book. Then and the extra 2 objectives to a LS and DS deck how see how things go.

ive personal gone to 2 core sets as I'm intested in deck construction but this depends on how your playgroup buy thier card at what they want to do. For example I've made some decks which would have a slight advantage other the pre built ones as the decks ive built have more of a tighter strict theme to the rather than lucky draws from the pre built decks.

I can't see you needing more than 2 core set boxes and certainly only need 1 of each expansion. I'm thinking of running four decks 3xLS and 3xDS so depending on the expansions I may need a 2nd copy but this is because I'm lazy of re sleeving

#4 GreyGhost21

GreyGhost21

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Deckbuilding rules indicate that up to copies of each objective (Unless the specific objective states otherwise) are allowed to build a custom deck. So If you wanted to have two copies of each objective, you would need to have two copies of the Core set.

#5 Jiraiya1969

Jiraiya1969

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

I know someone who bought 3 boxes, but I agree with the other poster; you should be able to get by with just 2

#6 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Jiraiya1969 said:

I know someone who bought 3 boxes, but I agree with the other poster; you should be able to get by with just 2

Was there any particularly reason they felt they needed three Core Sets? FFG always designs their Core Sets so that multiple purchases are a good idea (though never strictly required), but I would've said that Star Wars was the first of their LCGs where you could safely stop at two Cores, instead of the usual maximum of three (which is usually overkill, though I've also heard of some Netrunner players going up to four Cores.) The advantages of a third Star Wars Core seem pretty marginal to me; you already have the absolute maximum of any objective set you can include in a single deck with the second Core. Unless you want more than two of a given objective across your decks, and even then, I'd just transfer the six cards back and forth when I was switching decks.

To the OP: Don't feel like you HAVE to buy two Core Sets. Try the game out, get a feel for the game and if it's something you want to invest more in to expand your deckbuilding options, only then get the second Core if you want it.

#7 sinnerfold

sinnerfold

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I can come up with two reasons (beyond having multiple decks built simultaneously) for owning more than two Core Sets. If a player was wanting to host a small tournament.

Another reason for owning more than two Core Sets would be if you were planning on playing the game multiplayer. You're going to need 2-3 LS decks built at the same time to go against the uber DS player. If you were wanting to have 2 or 3 players playing the same affiliation you'd need to have more than the usual two Core Sets. One could argue that a maximum could be set at SIX Core Sets for ultimate deck building possibilities in multiplayer if all players were using the same supply of cards.

However, take into account if you followed this line of thought you'd also need to get three copies of each force pack and big expansion. Also take into account that while these cards we have now seem awesome, later on more strategies and options will allow expanded deck building possiblities and all of the cards in the Core Set will not be auto-includes in each deck you build.

#8 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

I could understand buying 3 or 4 of them. I have 2 now, and will for sure pick up one more, and maybe two more. My advice would be to sleeve everything in the same sleeves, and then keep a pen and paper list of the decks that you have built, and which objectives are in them. Then, shifting from one deck to another usually just involves swapping out a few objectives. 

But, if a person wanted to have multiple decks ready to go at any given moment, I can certainly see a case for 3, 4, or even 5 core sets. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

My reason for getting 3 core sets (beyond getting 2 as gifts and winning a third in a contest):

I can now build any deck I want with the first 2 core sets and keep the "intro" decks from the third built for teaching people how to play the game.

#10 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

dbmeboy said:

My reason for getting 3 core sets (beyond getting 2 as gifts and winning a third in a contest):

I can now build any deck I want with the first 2 core sets and keep the "intro" decks from the third built for teaching people how to play the game.

I can respect that rational, but at the same time unless you have the extra income to throw $40 away I think that was a waste of money. I mean your going to be adjusting your deck probably constantly tell you find one that fits your play style and even then it wont stay constant for long so trying to avoid resleving or changing cards is a loosing battle IMO.

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Denied said:

dbmeboy said:

I can respect that rational, but at the same time unless you have the extra income to throw $40 away I think that was a waste of money. I mean your going to be adjusting your deck probably constantly tell you find one that fits your play style and even then it wont stay constant for long so trying to avoid resleving or changing cards is a loosing battle IMO.

Except he won't have to do that as he plans on using the third to keep the intro decks built at all times and then use his other two sets to build custom decks with as many of each objective as is allowed. Makes perfect sense to me and is a good idea. Most of my friends are getting their own core sets but otherwise I would do the same thing.

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Toqtamish said:

Except he won't have to do that as he plans on using the third to keep the intro decks built at all times and then use his other two sets to build custom decks with as many of each objective as is allowed. Makes perfect sense to me and is a good idea. Most of my friends are getting their own core sets but otherwise I would do the same thing.

Exactly.  I wouldn't really go around advocating that everyone should buy 3 copies of the core set, but there is some use if you'd want to.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS