Lurker questions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I recently got the Lurker expansion, and I have the following questions for this fine society:

1. Can you cast the spell 'Intervene' to get +3 to your own combat check? On the card it says "Cast and exhaust before an investigator makes a Combat check to give that investigator +3 to the check", which I would take to include yourself. However, seeing as the name of the spell is 'Intervene', can you really intervene in your own combat?

2. Regarding moving gates, the rules state that "A Gate may only be sealed when it is located on an unstable location. Gates in a stable location or in the streets can be closed, but cannot be sealed." Yet the monster movement arrows on the game boards never point back into a location. Apart from one of the encounters in the Science Building [Innsmouth], how can a moving gate ever move back from the streets into a location? And the encounter in the Science Building only lets you move a gate to an unstable location. How can a moving gate (or a regular gate for that matter) move into a stable location?

3. Can a moving gate move into the same street area as Kate? The rules state that the moving gate moves just like a normal monster, so based on this, the answer would be yes. But I'm checking with you just to be sure. ^^

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

eiterorm said:

1. Can you cast the spell 'Intervene' to get +3 to your own combat check? On the card it says "Cast and exhaust before an investigator makes a Combat check to give that investigator +3 to the check", which I would take to include yourself. However, seeing as the name of the spell is 'Intervene', can you really intervene in your own combat?

2. Regarding moving gates, the rules state that "A Gate may only be sealed when it is located on an unstable location. Gates in a stable location or in the streets can be closed, but cannot be sealed." Yet the monster movement arrows on the game boards never point back into a location. Apart from one of the encounters in the Science Building [Innsmouth], how can a moving gate ever move back from the streets into a location? And the encounter in the Science Building only lets you move a gate to an unstable location. How can a moving gate (or a regular gate for that matter) move into a stable location?

3. Can a moving gate move into the same street area as Kate? The rules state that the moving gate moves just like a normal monster, so based on this, the answer would be yes. But I'm checking with you just to be sure. ^^

1. Thematically, I'm with you on this point, but technically, I don't see any problems in casting intervene on your own combat checks. It's just really weak as a spell if casted on yourself: 2 points of Sanity, 2 hands devoted to the spell, for a miserable +3… Not really appealing.

2. I guess the "gates in stable locations cannot be sealed, but only closed" line was introduced to fix the Naacal Key (one of the crappiest items ever, IMO), to avoid people using it against Atlach or in general to have unburstable seals. Not very fond of this rule, though. Anyway, to answer your question, nothing allowing you to move gates into stable locations comes to my memory.

(but you gave me an interesting idea for a custom Herald based on stalking gates. Thanks! I had one Herald for Flying gates, one for "green bordered gates" and another for aquatic gates, the stalking gates are something I haven't considered before :-))

3. The gate does not appear on Kate, it moves on her, so I'd say yes, a moving gate can move into the same street area as Kate

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I second everything Julia stated above.

But just to clarify a bit about moving gates…  They are quite undesirable.  With the exception of the encounter you mentioned, there's nothing that allows a moving gate to go back to an unstable location.  Therefore, once a moving gate moves, it can not be sealed, only closed.  So once a moving gate appears, I usually make it top priority and move my investigator(s) right to it, hoping that it won't move before I can come back out and seal it.  Also, once you go into the gate and then come back out and get your explored token, if you fail your check to close the gate and the gate moves, you lose the explored token and must explore the gate again.  Quite undesirable, indeed.

#4 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, Julia! When I come to think of it, it would be weird to have a game effect where you could put a gate in a stable location. Imagine if a gate could move into the Hospital or the Asylum. What would then happen in the situation where an investigator was knocked unconscious or driven insane?

Oh, and stalking gates sounds like fun. Right now I'm imagining a stalking gate playing pacman in the streets with the investigators. Om nom nom nom! ^__^ Flying gates, on the other hand, sounds really evil. Whenever I play, flying monsters tend to stay in the sky for long periods of time. If a couple of gates would do the same, it would indeed complicate the game. With flying gates, I guess I would need an investigator roaming the streets as gate bait. =P

Musha Shukou said:

I second everything Julia stated above.

But just to clarify a bit about moving gates…  They are quite undesirable.  With the exception of the encounter you mentioned, there's nothing that allows a moving gate to go back to an unstable location.  Therefore, once a moving gate moves, it can not be sealed, only closed.  So once a moving gate appears, I usually make it top priority and move my investigator(s) right to it, hoping that it won't move before I can come back out and seal it.  Also, once you go into the gate and then come back out and get your explored token, if you fail your check to close the gate and the gate moves, you lose the explored token and must explore the gate again.  Quite undesirable, indeed.

Yep! Moving gates is top priority for me as well. Luckily, though, failing a check to close a moving gate is not something which happens very often, as the modifiers of the moving gates are +0 and +1.

But here's another question I came to think of: can you move past a moving gate which is located in a street area? Imagine an investigator having an encounter at Ye Olde Magick Shoppe or St. Mary's Hospital. During the mythos phase that turn, a moving gate moves out of the Woods and into the Uptown Street area. In his next turn, is the investigator forced to either enter the gate or stay in his place, or can the investigator move past the gate?

#5 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

But here's another question I came to think of: can you move past a moving gate which is located in a street area? Imagine an investigator having an encounter at Ye Olde Magick Shoppe or St. Mary's Hospital. During the mythos phase that turn, a moving gate moves out of the Woods and into the Uptown Street area. In his next turn, is the investigator forced to either enter the gate or stay in his place, or can the investigator move past the gate?

#6 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Sorry about that post above.  I have no idea what happened, but things went real screwy on me.

eiterorm said:

Yes, you can move passed a moving gate, or any gate for that matter.  Keep in mind that actually entering a gate only happens during the Arkham Encounters phase which happens AFTER the movement phase.  So you can move onto/through a gate as much as you want; you just won't be going through a gate unless you end your movement on one.

#7 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Musha Shukou said:

Yes, you can move passed a moving gate, or any gate for that matter.  Keep in mind that actually entering a gate only happens during the Arkham Encounters phase which happens AFTER the movement phase.  So you can move onto/through a gate as much as you want; you just won't be going through a gate unless you end your movement on one.

I feel really stupid now! I actually knew that passing through a gate happens in the Arkham Encounters Phase, but for some reason I have never separated the passing through a gate from the Movement Phase. And whenever I have moved to a location containing a gate, my intention has always been to enter the gate, so I have never moved into a location with a gate and then out again. I feel silly now. Please excuse my stupid question. =P

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

eiterorm said:

Oh, and stalking gates sounds like fun. Right now I'm imagining a stalking gate playing pacman in the streets with the investigators. Om nom nom nom! ^__^ Flying gates, on the other hand, sounds really evil.

::laughter:: yeah, I had the Pacman vision as well. Now I need to decide how to make them interact with investigators, and what happens on the "chomp chomp". As for the Flying gates, I dropped you an e-mail with the Herald

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#9 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Julia said:

::laughter:: yeah, I had the Pacman vision as well. Now I need to decide how to make them interact with investigators, and what happens on the "chomp chomp". As for the Flying gates, I dropped you an e-mail with the Herald

Thanks for the e-mail! I look forward to seeing a stalking gate herald. ^__^

Pacman Horror:

If a stalking gate moves to the same location as an investigator, that investigator is devoured. However, if an investigator carries an Elder Sign, the stalking gate becomes elusive, and the investigator may instead stalk the moving gate. If the investigator catches up with the moving gate, he may spend his Elder Sign and immediately close it. =P

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

eiterorm said:

Pacman Horror:

If a stalking gate moves to the same location as an investigator, that investigator is devoured. However, if an investigator carries an Elder Sign, the stalking gate becomes elusive, and the investigator may instead stalk the moving gate. If the investigator catches up with the moving gate, he may spend his Elder Sign and immediately close it. =P

::rofling::

Please, download & install strange eons, translate this in Arkhamese and publish it!

#11 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Julia said:

::rofling::

Please, download & install strange eons, translate this in Arkhamese and publish it!

I installed it a little while back, but the program always failed to start (in 64 bit Win7). =( But I see now that there's a new version released, so I'll try that one in a few days. =)

#12 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

A little late, but here it is, as requested. It should even be quite playable. ;-] Now you have to try it! =P

Full size.

#13 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Broken link. Here's a working one:

Click here for full size.

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Better:

(if you specify width = 600, the image fits perfectly the window)

Thanks for doing this!

#15 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Ah! Thanks for the tip. I'd love to hear your feedback about it whenever you have the time. =) I tried to make it a real, playable Herald, and not just a joke, while, obviously, still having a slight Pacman feel to it.

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback, really. =) But I guess the Custom Heralds thread would be a better place for it. I'll post it there in a minute.

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

eiterorm said:

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback, really. =) But I guess the Custom Heralds thread would be a better place for it. I'll post it there in a minute.

Sure! In this way, it will remain in a visible thread for all eternity (or as long as Arkham is reprinted)

I'll drop you a line of feedback tomorrow (I hope)

#17 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Julia said:

Better:

(if you specify width = 600, the image fits perfectly the window)

Thanks for doing this!

That's incredible! Kudos to whoever made this!

#18 dwightsboardgame

dwightsboardgame

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

eiterorm said:

Broken link. Here's a working one:

Click here for full size.

Do the split gates from LatT move on either dimensional symbol?

#19 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

dwightsboardgame said:

Do the split gates from LatT move on either dimensional symbol?

This is one of the many special cases I have intentionally excluded from the rules. The first reason is that otherwise there would be excessive amounts of text on the sheet. I actually think there's a little too much text on the sheet already, but I haven't found any ways of reducing the amount of words while maintaining the same level of accuracy. The second reason is that I want to give people the opportunity to adjust the difficulty to their liking.

So to answer your question: They do if you want them to. Bear in mind, though, that this makes some of the split gates very likely to move during the Mythos phase, slightly increasing the difficulty of the herald. If you don't want to increase the difficulty, you can for instance say that only the leftmost symbol on the split gates determines gate movement.

Another question which is likely to come up is this:

Q: When you draw a Mythos card to determine where a gate respawns, what happens when you draw a gate burst for a location which has an elder sign on it?

A: If you want to increase the difficulty of the herald, remove the elder sign from the board and place the gate on the indicated location. If you don't want to increase the difficulty, discard the Mythos card and draw another.

#20 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

Tromdial said:

That's incredible! Kudos to whoever made this!

Thanks! =)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS