Simple Question about SW: The Card Game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Good day everyone!  I come from a Trading Card Game background, with the whole "buying booster packs and getting rare cards" thing.  Serious time sink, it was. 

My question; does this Star Wars card game follow this model, or is it more like Munchkins where you buy the Core set, then you can get stand alone expansions witout any randomness being involved?

#2 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

Sort of a hybrid. Like Munchkin, any of Fantasy Flight's LCGs have a completely non-random distribution. You buy the Core Set, and you get the entire core set. However, you still construct a deck from your collection of cards and the game plays similar to a traditional Trading Card Game.

#3 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

D.Knight Sevus said:

Sort of a hybrid. Like Munchkin, any of Fantasy Flight's LCGs have a completely non-random distribution. You buy the Core Set, and you get the entire core set. However, you still construct a deck from your collection of cards and the game plays similar to a traditional Trading Card Game.

The joys of deck construction without the money sink of buying booster packs?  SOLD.

Thank you for your answer!

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

This link should help:

http://www.fantasyfl...?eidm=14&esem=1

#5 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Deck construction is different with Star Wars too, because instead of putting together 60 or 70 cards, you're dealing with numbered 6-card blocks (one objective and five other cards).

#6 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Toqtamish said:

This link should help:

http://www.fantasyfl...?eidm=14&esem=1

Yeah, this helps greatly.  Seems like a solid business model, and one that's easier on my wallet than other games I have played.

#7 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

This will be my first "real" foray into "epic" card games.  I dabbled in the usual CCG/TCG of the past -- e.g. Dragonball et al, and Magic: The Gathering, but they didn't take hold with me, mainly due to the micromanaging of each individual card.  So yeah, I'm really hopeful for this game, and its mechanic.  And because it's Star Wars . . . naturally.  I hope to get in a game or two in soon. 

#8 CenturionCajun

CenturionCajun

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'm right there with you man. When I was younger I was really heavily into the Star Trek CCG. I bought that thing for years. I must have sank a thousand dollars easily into decks and booster packs. What it got me was a stack of shoeboxes full of duplicate cards I, nor anyone else, wanted. I got out of the hobby for years because of this wastful and frustrating situation.

LCGs have gotten me back into card games. I love having the gameplay of a CCG without having to buy piles upon piles of boosters or pay someone $50 for that one rare card I need. Fantasy Flight also have the rights to just about every franchise I care about. If they ever get Star Trek I might just die happy. So, they will be getting all of my money for the Star Wars LCG. Good job Fantasy Flight.

#9 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

CenturionCajun said:

Fantasy Flight also have the rights to just about every franchise I care about. If they ever get Star Trek I might just die happy. So, they will be getting all of my money for the Star Wars LCG. Good job Fantasy Flight.

I feel the same way. I thought Star Wars and Lovecraft were my favorite things until I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire. Now they have all three. And I too would love to see them get Star Trek, not because I'm crazy about it myself, but because my fiancee is a huge TNG fangirl, and I know she would want to play Star Trek: The Card Game if it existed.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS