Jump to content



Photo

Timing question on RoTJ


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'm sure I've just overlooked some stuff in the timing structure, and not sure if a similar situation has been put before the board, but here goes:

Say I'm playing LS, and I have deployed Yoda to the board. I decide to skip conflict, as I want those tasty force icons to swing the balance in my favor. After I decide to forgo conflict and am about to move into the force step, my opponent decides to get squirlley and pop two force chokes on Yoda, killing him. I have a "Return of the Jedi" event in hand. Assuming I have the resources available at that time, can I play the event to put Yoda back in play in time to commit him to the force, or do I have to wait for my next deployment phase? I suspect that I can, but I would like a clarification, just in case I'm wrong.


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka


#2 LORDs_diakonos

LORDs_diakonos

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

You alternate playing actions which the event is starting with the active player until noone has any to play.  Look at the timing structure in the back of the rule book.. 

 

The thing is he would have had to do it at the end of conflict.  So before your force phase ends the DS says wait I play force choke. and if you don't play an action he plays another then you play return of the jedi and then the DS player is sad. 



#3 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

LORDs_diakonos said:

You alternate playing actions which the event is starting with the active player until noone has any to play.  Look at the timing structure in the back of the rule book.. 

 

The thing is he would have had to do it at the end of conflict.  So before your force phase ends the DS says wait I play force choke. and if you don't play an action he plays another then you play return of the jedi and then the DS player is sad. 

 

thanks. I figured as much, but I'm at work, without my rulebook with me, and the scenario popped into my head, so I wanted to make sure.


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka


#4 Doma0997

Doma0997

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

While i understand the scenario, and the answer, i want to point out that that particular instance is impossible i believe. Though i do not have it in front of me, i recall force choke being once per turn. Concept still stands though.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

You are correct Doma. Force choke is 1 per turn. 



#6 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Doma0997 said:

While i understand the scenario, and the answer, i want to point out that that particular instance is impossible i believe. Though i do not have it in front of me, i recall force choke being once per turn. Concept still stands though.

 

wait… so he made an illegal play? Oh, I must rub this in his face later. :)


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka


#7 SeerMagic

SeerMagic

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

If he had vader in play he could do 2 damage with 1 force choke.



#8 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

SeerMagic said:

If he had vader in play he could do 2 damage with 1 force choke.

 

Right, but he didn't. I also didn't catch, at the time, that this was an illegal play for him to use two on the same turn. I've seen this evilness used with dark precog (Vader does damage), followed by force choke for one damage, followed by another Vader trigger to take out a 3 DC character.


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka


#9 alpha5099

alpha5099

    Member

  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

stormwolf27 said:

 

SeerMagic said:

 

If he had vader in play he could do 2 damage with 1 force choke.

 

 

 

Right, but he didn't. I also didn't catch, at the time, that this was an illegal play for him to use two on the same turn. I've seen this evilness used with dark precog (Vader does damage), followed by force choke for one damage, followed by another Vader trigger to take out a 3 DC character.

 

 

Which is also wouldn't work.* Vader's ability is similarly restricted to once per turn. "Reaction: After you play a [Sith] event card, deal 1 damage to a target unit. (Limit once per turn.)"

* Maybe this was just another illegal play you noticed after the fact. But if not, wanted to point out that that combo isn't possible.



#10 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

alpha5099 said:

stormwolf27 said:

 

SeerMagic said:

 

If he had vader in play he could do 2 damage with 1 force choke.

 

 

 

Right, but he didn't. I also didn't catch, at the time, that this was an illegal play for him to use two on the same turn. I've seen this evilness used with dark precog (Vader does damage), followed by force choke for one damage, followed by another Vader trigger to take out a 3 DC character.

 

 

Which is also wouldn't work.* Vader's ability is similarly restricted to once per turn. "Reaction: After you play a [Sith] event card, deal 1 damage to a target unit. (Limit once per turn.)"

* Maybe this was just another illegal play you noticed after the fact. But if not, wanted to point out that that combo isn't possible.

 

quite right. quite right. there have been a lot of those in our meta in the last few weeks, as most of our hardcore gamers are not yet familiar enough with the cards to make those distinctions on the fly. Thanks for that, though. I will have to bring these things up if I observe them again.


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS