Jump to content



Photo

A-Wing Shields?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JodiePascal

JodiePascal

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Ok, not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but i'm gonna ask. I live in Northern Michigan and we have not yet gotten any of the Wave 2 stuff or had a Kessel Run tourney, but I have been watching the battle reports on YouTube, specifically the Kessel Run finals.

 

So the A-Wings are basically just X-Wings without R2 units? I always assumed that A-Wings were like the Rebellions version of the TIE Fighter… Guess I was wrong. I hope that FF doesnt continue this trend of each wave of ships getting faster and more powerful than the previous wave, just because. You gotta remember the X-Wing is the ship that was monumental to the victory over the Empire. If the A-Wing is a better ship, why take an X-Wing at all?

 

Just saying…



#2 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

    Member

  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

No, they're not X-Wings without R2s. 

Card-wise, they're this- 

2

3

2

2

With X-Wings of course being- 

3

2

3

2

Dig this- http://home.comcast....ler/rebels.html All the A-Wing cards (and the rest of the Wave 2 stuff) is on there. 



#3 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

    Member

  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

JodiePascal said:

So the A-Wings are basically just X-Wings without R2 units? I always assumed that A-Wings were like the Rebellions version of the TIE Fighter… Guess I was wrong. I hope that FF doesnt continue this trend of each wave of ships getting faster and more powerful than the previous wave, just because. You gotta remember the X-Wing is the ship that was monumental to the victory over the Empire. If the A-Wing is a better ship, why take an X-Wing at all?

 

 

Not sure what videos you are watching but it seems like the commentary on them is being done by idiots. I've noticed this happens a lot with this game for some reason. The people that make videos and articles generally have no idea what they are talking about and obviously have not  played the game much themselves.

For an example, take a look at the preview of the Millennium Falcon. The interviewer/commenter doesn't understand the cards, especially Weapons Engineer. I couldn't stand listening so I muted it and just paused when they showed the cards on screen.



#4 ReaverRandall

ReaverRandall

    Member

  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

played a couple missions this weekend with the A-wings and found myself wanting them to be more than they actually are, same with the assault missles.

 

basically as with all things in this game, it depends on the dice!

 

i had 2 a-wings with wedge; they both had assault missles; wedge had expose. the dice hated me so even though i won the match it took an extremely long time to kill stuff and i was fighting TiEs.

assault missles could be a game changer, but only if they hit…DUH!

expose on wedge is cool, until you wiff 4 out of 5 dice 2-3 times during a match and leave him open to medium-long range pop shots. the only thing that kept him alive was R2 reparing his sheilds every other turn.

 

only got 3 matches in, so i still have more tinkering to do, but i'm confident i'll find a combo that works well with the a-wings.

 

i already have 1 in mind that should make them perfect but damn expensive.

 

 



#5 Picasso

Picasso

    Member

  • Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Try green squadron A-wings with push the limit and those Assault Missiles.  They become a cheap Vader. 



#6 Uniangle

Uniangle

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

They are rebel scum anyway.



#7 Garven Dreis

Garven Dreis

    Member

  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I suspect the A-Wing will definitely not replace the X-Wing as a solid choice for the Rebels, the 2 Attack dice probably won't cut it when you are up against a large number of ships with Agility 3.



#8 SaintGordon

SaintGordon

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

The A Wing is more agile thanks to the Boost action.

And if you use Daredevil you can make a 180° Turn without any stress tokens.

 

But i think the X-Wing stays the work hourse of the rebel fighter crps.



#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

SaintGordon said:

The A Wing is more agile thanks to the Boost action.

And if you use Daredevil you can make a 180° Turn without any stress tokens.

 

But i think the X-Wing stays the work hourse of the rebel fighter crps.

Daredevil will still give you a stress token as it specifies that you'd be executing a red turn.  A-Wings (or anything else with Boost) would avoid the damage potential though.



#10 SaintGordon

SaintGordon

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

yes, youre right. but you still can do manuvers who bring you in fire position again.

i like it



#11 hothie

hothie

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

My experience in playing against Awings:

They are very good defensively, especially if you add Stealth Device onto them, and stay near asteroids. They are also very fast, and the Boost Action really makes the person playing against them (me, in this case) have to make sure you have more firing arcs covered, meaning I can have 1 TIE right behind it, but after the Awing moves and boosts, it may not have a shot. So I have to have more firing arcs covered to account for at least getting one shot onto it. But, in doing so, I then only do get one shot on it rather than a squad full of shots, so keep that in mind. They are hard to kill, but they also don't do much offensively. True, they have the same attack value as a standard TIE, but the TIEs strength is in numbers. Awings aren't cheap enough to run lots of them, nor do I think you would want to. Also only having only 2 Hull means they go down quickly once the shields are gone.

I see the Awing as another support piece to the Xwing. The named pilots are really good, but like every ship, they cost more, especially after upgrading them. The Xwing is still the powerhouse for the Rebels. The Awing and Ywing are mainly support pieces for the Xwings. The YT is in a class by itself, but still makes for some fun squad building and strategies.

I think Tycho with Push the limit and Stealth Device will be a staple in many squads for the players who wish to play that style. he was the last Rebel on the board, and he was very difficult to kill.

Awings in general will be difficult to play against due to their wide array of maneuvers. They will be tough to try and figure out where they will move, especially with the Boost action.


The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#12 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

    Member

  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

I think A-Wings are going to be a great "2" in a 1-2 punch combination where the X-Wing is a 1. 

I've had a lot of games where one X-Wing reduces a TIE to 1 hull and I'm left needing to finish him off, but wishing I didn't have to dedicate the formidable firepower of an another X-Wing to ticking one more hit off a TIE when there's other targets out there. 

A-Wings should be perfect for that. Their high manueverability should be able to get them where they need to go to get those kinds of shots off and make them count. 

Only time and games played will tell, but I think running them fairly low-key without the expensive upgrades or pilots will be the way to go for me, anyway. Leave the heavy lifting to the X-Wings and special pilots, but the A-Wings in my roster I bet will get a lot of cleanup and serve to keep the other side honest. 



#13 zathras23

zathras23

    Member

  • Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

dbmeboy said:

SaintGordon said:

 

The A Wing is more agile thanks to the Boost action.

And if you use Daredevil you can make a 180° Turn without any stress tokens.

 

But i think the X-Wing stays the work hourse of the rebel fighter crps.

 

 

Daredevil will still give you a stress token as it specifies that you'd be executing a red turn.  A-Wings (or anything else with Boost) would avoid the damage potential though.

The stress token is not a problem as the A-Wing's hard 2 turn is a green maneuver that will clear the stress, leaving you free to execute the hard 1 turn action from the Daredevil card. I was able to use this combo to great effect during the KRT finals with Soontir Fel, doing 180 degree turns in 3 consecutive turns to kill an A-Wing.



#14 Acebaur

Acebaur

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

zathras23 said:

dbmeboy said:

 

SaintGordon said:

 

The A Wing is more agile thanks to the Boost action.

And if you use Daredevil you can make a 180° Turn without any stress tokens.

 

But i think the X-Wing stays the work hourse of the rebel fighter crps.

 

 

Daredevil will still give you a stress token as it specifies that you'd be executing a red turn.  A-Wings (or anything else with Boost) would avoid the damage potential though.

 

 

The stress token is not a problem as the A-Wing's hard 2 turn is a green maneuver that will clear the stress, leaving you free to execute the hard 1 turn action from the Daredevil card. I was able to use this combo to great effect during the KRT finals with Soontir Fel, doing 180 degree turns in 3 consecutive turns to kill an A-Wing.

 

Stress definitely doesn't worry an A-wing with their 8 green maneuvers, the most of any ship.



#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I wasn't saying that the stress token would worry the A-Wing.  I was just pointing out that Daredevil did not let you turn 180° without a stress token, as the post I originally quoted said.



#16 Acebaur

Acebaur

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

dbmeboy said:

I wasn't saying that the stress token would worry the A-Wing.  I was just pointing out that Daredevil did not let you turn 180° without a stress token, as the post I originally quoted said.

 

No one is saying that you said it would worry the A-wing.  Zathras commented that the stress would not be  a problem due to the hard 2 being green.  I agreed and pointed out that it has a whopping 8 green maneuvers. :)



#17 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Acebaur said:

dbmeboy said:

 

I wasn't saying that the stress token would worry the A-Wing.  I was just pointing out that Daredevil did not let you turn 180° without a stress token, as the post I originally quoted said.

 

 

 

No one is saying that you said it would worry the A-wing.  Zathras commented that the stress would not be  a problem due to the hard 2 being green.  I agreed and pointed out that it has a whopping 8 green maneuvers. :)

I feel like we're set up for a Monty Python skit or something here… :-D  8 green maneuvers will certainly have its uses, especially with boost and Daredevil giving you a ton of freedom on where you end up.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS