Orks and medieval fantasy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Garner

Garner

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thinking about running a medieval fantasy game in the 40k setting. Was wondering if four guys with pikes could reasonably take down an Ork? I know that Ork's in 40k are a lot more scary than they would be in a normal fantasy game and I heard they only start to develop crazy technology if there's a huge population of them in one place for the Waaaaaaagh!

#2 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

You might as well just play Warhammer Fantasy then, eh?

In which case the answer is yes, 4 guys with a pike could take 1 Ork. Probably.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#3 InquisitorAlexel

InquisitorAlexel

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Depending on the level and equipment of your player characters, I would tell you to not give amour to the orks, their TB of 8 would be hard enough to pass with simple swords and axes, but it would be possible to do it.

As to why play in 40k instead of battle, it is easy; there are many worlds where there are humans but where technology is low/feral level. It could be an interesting idea to play in that kind of theme.

#4 Garner

Garner

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Darth Smeg said:

You might as well just play Warhammer Fantasy then, eh?

In which case the answer is yes, 4 guys with a pike could take 1 Ork. Probably.

Well there's two reasons I'd rather play in a 40k setting.

#1: I was playing Dragon Age awhile back and I just couldn't believe how many tropes and themes of Warhammer got stuck in there. Especially with the circle mages. I thought it might be fun to run a game which closely followed the plot of Dragon Age but give it all 40k themes and also to throw off my players. (see how well I can keep up the ruse)

#2: One of the guys I used to play with often really likes the swords and sorcery. Many of my other friends would like some science fiction some times. I think I can get this guy to come around if I come at it from a good angle. (Warcraft did this perfectly)

HOWEVER

I might use a Warhammer Fantasy ruleset to run said game.

#5 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

DH can work pretty well for fantasy, however WFB has more focus on it (of course), more weapons, more detail, more talents, etc. One idea is to simply start with DH (say you like the improved mechanics?) and then take stuff from WFB as long as they are on the same tech level, then revert to DH values when you start introducing newer tech (flak armor, lasguns, etc.)

#6 BrotherKane

BrotherKane

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

You can pretty much use WFRP 2nd Ed. careers with Dark Heresey rules.  The talents/skills convert pretty directly with only a few minor tweaks.  Ignore the Movement characteristic and where someone has +Attacks give them the appropriate talent instead.  Magic stat is = to Psy rating.

#7 Crunch

Crunch

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

WFRP has many of the same themes regarding chaos and the dangers of magic that DH has. I'd say the biggest differences between DH and WFRP would be

1) The Empire in WFRP is less ambiguous and more clearly a force for good. Relatively speaking.

2) Humanity is divided, so you add nationalistic conflict with Bretonnia and other nations to the man versus chaos and man versus xeno of the DH setting.

#8 C-Cargo Ogryn

C-Cargo Ogryn

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Technically I'd say four guys with Pikes would lose to the single Orc, as the Pikes are too cumbersome. Four guys with Halberds would stand a better chance :)

#9 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

also a "wizard" in the party could help greatly when dealing with the ork.

#10 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Four reasonably trained and armoured humans shouldn't have too much killing a single ork assuming the ork doesn't have 'modern' technology.  I suppose the humans might take a couple of casualties.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS