How complete is the Core Book?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hello.  Is the DH core book a complete game?  Im interested in purchasing DH but would like to know if the game runs well with only the Core book and say the Gamemasters Kit, or will I have to purchase other books to flesh stuff out to have a good experience with the game? 

Thanks

Gary

#2 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

The Core Book is all you need, the rest of the books so brorden the game by leaps and bound in some cases, in others are all worth the price of admition.

#3 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Must Have Tier:

-Core Rules: Well, yeah

-Inquisitor's handbook: Pretty much a must for what it adds

Interesting for GMs only tier:

-Disciples of th Dark Goods: lotsa heretics and some plot ideas

-Creatures Anathema: More about monsters

-Radical's Handbook: Has some neat stuff to add into your game, but not great to let the players see too much :P

Neat books, but situational:

-Blood of Martyrs: A must have for puritan Inquisitors, especially  for Ordo Hereticus

-Daemon Hunter: A must for Ordo Malleus (Also has Grey Knights)

-Book of Judgement: Good for arbites/investigation heavy games, has some broken stuff, but not that bad

Eh tier, basically anything here is either broken (Lathe Worlds) or just not interesting enough or I forgot it, so yeah

#4 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

You don't need anything but the Core Book, but you need your head read if you don't get the Inquistors Handbook. Blood of Marters has some Munchtastic bits so a wise GM uses it sparingily, but the Fluff is good for Puritians and Big "E" games. Radical's Handbook is your Radicals Campain Guide but contains a few odds and ends for general campains.

a lot of books are geared to the GM and rightily so after all it's his/her game.

#5 Delazar78

Delazar78

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

all I have is the Core Rulebook, and the Game Master kit (just because I like GM screens), and my campaign is at the 30th session, average party XP around 7000.

I find the game is crunchy enough without adding any more rules/options.

Delazar

My RPG campaigns

#6 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Fantastic!  Thanks guys.  I am a bit of a minimalist and was hoping to have a valid option of running the game with just the core book + published adventures.  Sounds like this is very possible.  Thanks to everyone else for offer great advice on expansions, in case I want them later.

Thanks again.

Gary

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS