FFG Tournament support

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AUStarwars

AUStarwars

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I"m new to the whole LCG/FFG thing,but i think they have a very good game and license in Star Wars…what is the tournament support like?  Any chance of them going "big time" with such a big game?  Just looking for general ideas and how FFG tends to support their games, tournament wise..thanks!

#2 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

AUStarwars said:

I"m new to the whole LCG/FFG thing,but i think they have a very good game and license in Star Wars…what is the tournament support like?  Any chance of them going "big time" with such a big game?  Just looking for general ideas and how FFG tends to support their games, tournament wise..thanks!

I don't know what you mean by "big time"? They have supported their other games very well with seasonal events, big tournaments at the major cons, worlds and stuff like that. The prize support has been really good: special card boxes, playmats, and other stuff that enhances the game. If you want a game that is going to pay you money, like Magic the Gathering. No, that won't happen. 

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3795

Is the upcoming game night tournament kit for Star Wars Season 1 of 2013.

This is the schedule for 2013 organized play: http://www.fantasyfl...OP-Schedule.pdf

#4 AUStarwars

AUStarwars

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

nah cash isnt why im here, i just like when people go all out in tournament play, so as long as there are regular events im cool with it

#5 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I actually want to run cash tournaments for this game - I think a few sets down the line the game can really be an awesome game for building decks, and there is a decent amount of strategy in it to where it could work.

I posted this topic before and the general consensus was nobody wanted money tournaments. However, I think if we were to run a player ran cash tournament with some more casual prizes included (maybe Star Wars merchandise), we could really draw an interest from all walks of life.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#6 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

JMCB said:

I actually want to run cash tournaments for this game - I think a few sets down the line the game can really be an awesome game for building decks, and there is a decent amount of strategy in it to where it could work.

I posted this topic before and the general consensus was nobody wanted money tournaments. However, I think if we were to run a player ran cash tournament with some more casual prizes included (maybe Star Wars merchandise), we could really draw an interest from all walks of life.

I don't want cash anywhere near this game. Any game that I've played that features cash tournaments (Magic, VS, WARS, and The Spoils) has been a horrible experience. The other thing, this isn't a CCG. The money isn't in it for FFG. 

#7 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I would have to say in the year I've been playing Game of Thrones the tournament support for the game has been quite lacking. However, they have a new person whose job is to improve organized play which is great. The new league kits are looking great. However, having said that FFG is not going to organize tournaments for you. They will host maybe 1 regional in your area, worlds in MN, and tournaments at Gencon. Local tournaments are going to be your job. So if you want local tournaments realize they are not going to pop up out of thin air, you will have to organize them. We have bunches of tournaments in the SoCal area but that's because we have dedicated players who are willing to put them together. So in short, my answer is don't expect tournament support from FFG, but don't be discouraged by that fact. Just run your own tournaments.

#8 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

TinyGrimes said:

I would have to say in the year I've been playing Game of Thrones the tournament support for the game has been quite lacking. However, they have a new person whose job is to improve organized play which is great. The new league kits are looking great. However, having said that FFG is not going to organize tournaments for you. They will host maybe 1 regional in your area, worlds in MN, and tournaments at Gencon. Local tournaments are going to be your job. So if you want local tournaments realize they are not going to pop up out of thin air, you will have to organize them. We have bunches of tournaments in the SoCal area but that's because we have dedicated players who are willing to put them together. So in short, my answer is don't expect tournament support from FFG, but don't be discouraged by that fact. Just run your own tournaments.

Do they put out tournament kits on a regular basis?  When I played Anachronism there was a new tournament kit with 3 promos every month. 

What kind of prize support do they typically have for the world championships?  I see that AGOT allows the winner to design his/her own card, I think that is pretty sweet.  Is it just product or do they have a nice prize package. 

#9 AUStarwars

AUStarwars

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

TinyGrimes said:

Fine by me, not trying to be lazy lol…hopefully I can find some players in my area (Phialdelphia and around it)

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

TGO said:

TinyGrimes said:

Do they put out tournament kits on a regular basis?  When I played Anachronism there was a new tournament kit with 3 promos every month. 

What kind of prize support do they typically have for the world championships?  I see that AGOT allows the winner to design his/her own card, I think that is pretty sweet.  Is it just product or do they have a nice prize package. 

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3795

Is the upcoming game night tournament kit for Star Wars Season 1 of 2013.

This is the schedule for 2013 organized play: http://www.fantasyfl...OP-Schedule.pdf

#11 eklu947

eklu947

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

AUStarwars said:

TinyGrimes said:

Fine by me, not trying to be lazy lol…hopefully I can find some players in my area (Phialdelphia and around it)

Me and a friend of mine are going to try to organize some local events within the eastern PA area (we live up near Allentown), so if you've got something going just let us know.

As far as prize support is concerned, while having the possibility to win ca$h is sometimes nice, I personally think that distributing product is not really a loss in that department, becuase promos are just awesome to have, and by winning product, you're saving yourself cash you were probably going to spend anyway. Also, if you really like the game a lot, winning product should not be a problem. If you don't like the game, don't play… If you don't like the competitive play structure, don't play competitively…

#12 AUStarwars

AUStarwars

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

no i agree with you, like i said just looking to play competitively when i can, prizes dont matter much to me..just looking for fun!

I'll PM you

#13 Remorhaz

Remorhaz

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

wotc's friday night magic campaign is brilliant. it keeps people thinking about and playing magic even if there is not a new set out and gives the player a known day and time they can play. i would love it if FFG claimed a day of week i could show up and play FFG games…god knows i own most of their recent releases in all genres lol.

#14 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Pick a day and make it happen. We picked Saturdays as LCG day at our store. 

#15 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Our FLGS has picked Monday to be LCG day. I wish it were Saturday. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS