Which is you favorite Quest and why ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Hi guys i'm a new member in this forum . I play and enjoy the lord of the rings  card game about a month now and i'd love to share some of my thoughts with you . I'm an old board / card / rpg gamer and i found this game to be one of the best co-op / card games EVER ! :)

So i'll make the start , and say that my favorite Quest so far is ''Over the Misty Mountains Grim'' from the first HOBBIT Saga expansion.

I like the way this Quest is split in 2 parts . At the first one you try to run over the Misty Mountains through some terrifying Stone Giants , spying crows and deadly hazzards only to end up in (second part) a dungeon full of goblins/orcs led by a great goblin ( with the inspired name ''The Great Goblin'' sonreir )

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#2 Alex6222

Alex6222

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Over the Misty Mountains Grim is in my top 5. But my favorite quest is Foundations of Stone, i just like how you become split and then get back together (that is if you survive). My top 5 is as follows:

1. Foundations of Stone

2. The Siege of Cair Andros

3. Over the Misty Mountains Grim

4. Journey Along the Anduin

5. Peril in Pelargir

#3 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Alex6222 said:

Over the Misty Mountains Grim is in my top 5. But my favorite quest is Foundations of Stone, i just like how you become split and then get back together (that is if you survive). My top 5 is as follows:

1. Foundations of Stone

2. The Siege of Cair Andros

3. Over the Misty Mountains Grim

4. Journey Along the Anduin

5. Peril in Pelargir

First of all thx for sharing your opinion . i haven't play this one yet (Foundations of Stone ) so i add it in my to do list thx to you . Take care  and Have Fun bro !

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

well out of all of them i would say this is my top 5 list:

1. hunt for gollum - always has been my favourite…it has it all, great art, theme, great enemies…

2.  hobbit number 2. - like how well it fits the story, also great art again

3. massing at osgillaith - really like the area…the cards portray it well

4. redhorn gate - again appeals to my tolkien love

5. foundations of stone - really interesting mechanic with getting split up

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#5 Pickles

Pickles

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

1) Massing at Osgilliath

2) Journey along the Anduin

3) Conflict at the Carrock

4) 7th Level

5) Siege of Cair Andros maybe?

I like the fact that I can just grab the deck & play Osgilliath & that it is tough from the get go.

I also like fighting trolls & hordes of goblins - the swarming in the 7th level is hugely fun when it goes off. I can more easily say why I don't favour most of the others though pretty much all of them can be fun.

#6 Ellareth

Ellareth

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

My favourite quest to do this is still Passage through Mirkwood.

I've had many hours trying to beat that quest 3 consecutive times with Tactics pre-built deck to a point where I almost ripped Caught in a Web cards into shreds.

Also it was a very good testing quest for decks while playing Mirkwood Cycle as it provides decent chance of early enemy rushes. You would be suprised to see many decks that does well against first 5 Mirkwood scenarios can have really difficult time against Passage through Mirkwood.

#7 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Ellareth said:

My favourite quest to do this is still Passage through Mirkwood.

I've had many hours trying to beat that quest 3 consecutive times with Tactics pre-built deck to a point where I almost ripped Caught in a Web cards into shreds.

Also it was a very good testing quest for decks while playing Mirkwood Cycle as it provides decent chance of early enemy rushes. You would be suprised to see many decks that does well against first 5 Mirkwood scenarios can have really difficult time against Passage through Mirkwood.

So true bro, Passage is considered one of the easiest quest, all thought some times it can be so tricky that even the most ''pro'' decks fail miserable .

One of my favorites for sure, hands down !

#8 Pickles

Pickles

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

iznax said:

So true bro, Passage is consid ered one of the easiest quest, all thought some times it can be so tricky that even the most ''pro'' decks fail miserable .

One of my favorites for sure, hands down !

It is too easy multi-player to be one of my top 5 though I do like it. All of the original quests suffer a bit from scaling poorly. With that - 

Escape from Dol Guldur - too hard solo. I rated it 9 on BGG so I must have liked it  two player (2 handed) & my best LOTR experience was losing to this when I had to reshuffle right at the end of the game & got the Nazgul I had finally killed again.

Hunt for Golllum - the Hunters are very spiky & there are too many locations to be dynamic (it's a bit skew with random 8 threat 8 attack baddies)

Journey to Rhosgobel - too skewed to the healing gimmick.

Hills of Emin Mul - pretty  boring with only locations to worry about. Possibly the worst quest but I enjoyed it the last time I tried it.

The Dead Marshes - losing Gollum in the swamp can give a very long & tedious game. Trying to guard him is a bit of a lottery

Return to Mirkwood - another good scenario but it's very hard solo, skewed to threat reduction?

Into the Pit  (or something) - I like this one but you can get creature locked on the first location which is frustrating

Escape from Moria - a gimmick scenario where bypassing the objectives is the thing to do

Redhorn Gate - good but can have a tedious end game if you failed to draw the VP locations

Rivendell - Grr sleeping Sentry. I hate it but beating it gave me huge pleasure so it's not all bad….

Watcher in the Water - fun but depends on the tentacle lottery. This is almost a favourite

The Long dark, Foundations of Stone - not played these enough to opine. Foundations is no doubt better 2+ player & I have only soloed it

Shadow & Flame - easy if you "cheat" it very hard if you do not. 

We Shall Away Ere Break of Day - fun enough but getting the treasure seems too random

I have not played the other hobbit ones enough to know.

Peril in Pelagir - Easiest of the HoN scenarios but the thematic bits work backwards. 

Into Ithillien - Very skewed to Battle & has a few very nasty cards. Thematic stuff backwards here too

Siege of Cair Andros - good big fight.. I find it easier than Into Ithilien & saving the starting locations makes sense though I think they could be better tuned. Also needs a  special deck.

There as threatened what I do not like about the other scenarios that stop them being favourites.  I obviously like fighting more than questing. I use skew to mean hard to beat with a deck that is not made for it , though that's probably coloured a bit by my like of fighting.  Ie if you love questing you may find Conlfict at the Carrock skewed against you.

#9 Alex6222

Alex6222

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

Pickles said:

We Shall Away Ere Break of Day - fun enough but getting the treasure seems too random

I have to disagree. Yes getting the key and the purse can be a little random, but i have managed to get the treasures even with decks i didn´t think i could get them.

I also agree that PTM is a good testing ground. I usually test new decks against Passage, Anduin and Hunt.

#10 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

1) Watcher in the Water

2) Siege of Cair Andros

3) Foundations of Stone

4) Conflict at the Carrock

5) Escape from Dol Guldur

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#11 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

My favourite quests are (in no particular order) : Journey along the Anduin, The Redhorn Gate, Foundations of Stone, Shadow and Flame, Into Ithilien and The Siege of Cair Andros.

#12 Pickles

Pickles

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

Alex6222 said:

I have to disagree. Yes getting the key and the purse can be a little random, but i have managed to get the treasures even with decks i didn´t think i could get them.

I am probably jaded by having the keys turn up as the last card in the deck so there was no way I could get it in time. (Well possibly by manipulating the encounter deck stacking cards if I had thought of it & they came out right)

#13 Pickles

Pickles

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Alex6222 said:

I am probably jaded by having the keys turn up as the last card in the deck so there was no way I could get it in time. (Well possibly by manipulating the encounter deck stacking cards if I had thought of it & they came out right)

#14 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Ok, a top five list!  I haven't played Foundations of Stone, Shadow and Flame, or the last two Heirs of Numenor quests yet.  Excepting those, here I go:

1. Dungeons Deep and Caverns Dim - surprised not to see this on others' lists! We had a great game with this one.  It's hard, but I liked the riddling mechanic.  Led us to some very dramatic discards.

2. Into the Pit - love getting swarmed by goblins.  I like The Seventh Level as well, but Into the Pit is more challenging.

3. The Redhorn Gate - I find this quest very challenging… we often lose.  But I think it's well designed and fun to play.  And a cool theme.

4. The Watcher in the Water - tentacle mayhem!  Pretty easy if you set up your deck for it, but can be hard without the right cards.

5. A Journey to Rhosgobel - we always play with 2 players, so I don't have the solo woes with this quest.  I like the race against time factor.  Always bring Shadow of the Past!

#15 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

GrandSpleen said:

Ok, a top five list!  I haven't played Foundations of Stone, Shadow and Flame, or the last two Heirs of Numenor quests yet.  Excepting those, here I go:

1. Dungeons Deep and Caverns Dim - surprised not to see this on others' lists! We had a great game with this one.  It's hard, but I liked the riddling mechanic.  Led us to some very dramatic discards.

2. Into the Pit - love getting swarmed by goblins.  I like The Seventh Level as well, but Into the Pit is more challenging.

3. The Redhorn Gate - I find this quest very challenging… we often lose.  But I think it's well designed and fun to play.  And a cool theme.

4. The Watcher in the Water - tentacle mayhem!  Pretty easy if you set up your deck for it, but can be hard without the right cards.

5. A Journey to Rhosgobel - we always play with 2 players, so I don't have the solo woes with this quest.  I like the race against time factor.  Always bring Shadow of the Past!

So true bro Dungeons Deep is a realy beautiful quest with one of the most innovative mechanic so far (that adds to the game and does not just change it , and thats what i like form the HOBBIT expansion , you play something extra not just a different version of the same game)  .Realy strange that noone has mentioned it so far

#16 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

From a solo player perspective (played only up to Watcher in the Water):

1. Redhorn gate - Great theme, you can almost feel the cold when planing it
2. Return to Mirkwood - Love the mad run feel that it induces
3. Journey down the Anduin - starts with an earthquake (troll) and then the tension rises
4. Massing at Osgiliath - My favorite of the "typical" scenarios (stall progress at the start to build up and then race through)
5. A journey to Rhosghobel - Very challenging and swingy but very different from the others

Honorable Mention:
- Ninja Dorg's custom scenarios - great introduction to the game

Bottom two (so far)
- Hills of Emun Muil
- Road to Rivendel 

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

iznax said:

GrandSpleen said:

So true bro Dungeons Deep is a realy beautiful quest with one of the most innovative mechanic so far (that adds to the game and does not just change it , and thats what i like form the HOBBIT expansion , you play something extra not just a different version of the same game)  .Realy strange that noone has mentioned it so far

being critical i have to say dungeons deep is a poorly designed quest with aweful scaling and based entirely on luck…..it is fun, but incredibly frustrating

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#18 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

My top 3:

3. The Redhorn Gate - It feels like it takes FOREVER to get to that mountain peak, just as it would in real life! And with characters freezing all around you!

2. Foundation of Stone - I love the split up mechanic.

1. Shadow and Flame - So thematic and scary! You actually feel like you are really taking on the Balrog! I really like big boss quests like this especially at the end of a cycle for an epic finale. Not many (or any) underling enemies to deal with, just a huge boss in front of you!

#19 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Hmmm very difficult to say but of course is most diffcult quests is my top list

Massing at Osgiliath.

Battle of Lake-Town.

Foundation of Stone.

And after HON all three quests there!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#20 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

richsabre said:

being critical i have to say dungeons deep is a poorly designed quest with aweful scaling and based entirely on luck…..it is fun, but incredibly frustrating

rich

I must agree that it wouldn't scale well -- hard for one player to cope with all that discard.  I wouldn't call it luck-based, though.  For every "riddle" we answered I was thinking hard about what spheres, card types, and costs were left in our decks.  I can't think of a better way to evoke the brain-racking challenge of answering riddles in a dark cave than the way they did it…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS