Help with NPC heretics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beardonaut

beardonaut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hello all. I will be running an extended version of the Haarlock Legacy campaign and among many other things the PCs will travel to St Annard's Pennance, the prison world outlined in Hand of Corruption, for Black Crusade. Note that there are SPOILERS below for that scenario.

The PCs will arrive as the prison is rocked by a riot, the very same riot Black Crusade PCs start in Hand of Corruption. The Acolyte's mission on the planet is to locate one specific prisoner that has a part of Haarlock's Navis Prima tattooed on his body. They will have to do this while helping the prison authorites suppress the riots as well as navigate the intricate political structure of the prison.

My question to you: can you help me create a group of heretics responsible for the riot? I like a challenge when I GM, and having outsiders influence the campaign certainly is a challenge.

The group can be a Chaos coven (intent on transporting the planet into the Screaming Vortex by enacting a complicated ritual), hereteks (hunting for archeotech in the depths of the ancient prison complex) or anything else. I am open to any and all suggestions, and the more the better. I'm not looking for specific stats (though If you want to supply that, all the better) but more ideas for characters.

The Acolytes start at 3000 xp, and at this point in the campaign they are likely to be above 4000. The heretic NPCs should be appropriately powerful.

#2 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Off the top of my head, the Pilgrims of Hayte (from Disciples of the Dark Gods) come to mind: nihilistic doomsday fanatics who see entropy as the desirable end to the falsehhod of existance, and who are skilled in sorcery, particulary daemon summoning. They are led by charismatic False Prophets who sway disolute members of Imperial society to their fatalistic cause- and there would be no shortage of potential recruits in a penal colony! If you want to give the scenario extra depth, you could say that the riots being orchestrated by the Pilgrims have a ritual component: the hundreds of deaths being caused by the riots are serving as human sacrifices, intended to free a daemon who is (unknown to the Imperials) imprisoned beneath the penal colony (maybe by Haarlock himself, long before the colony was established?) That could add an interesting 'race against time' element: the PCs have to either get the riot under control, or find the False Prophet conducting the ritual, before the deaths reach the 'magic number' needed to free the daemon. A potential twist would be to make the False Prophet not one of the prisoners, as the PCs will initially suspect, but one of the wardens, who sought out this post specifically because he knew the secret of the imprisoned daemon…

#3 beardonaut

beardonaut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Adeptus-B said:

Off the top of my head, the Pilgrims of Hayte (from Disciples of the Dark Gods) come to mind: nihilistic doomsday fanatics who see entropy as the desirable end to the falsehhod of existance, and who are skilled in sorcery, particulary daemon summoning. They are led by charismatic False Prophets who sway disolute members of Imperial society to their fatalistic cause- and there would be no shortage of potential recruits in a penal colony! If you want to give the scenario extra depth, you could say that the riots being orchestrated by the Pilgrims have a ritual component: the hundreds of deaths being caused by the riots are serving as human sacrifices, intended to free a daemon who is (unknown to the Imperials) imprisoned beneath the penal colony (maybe by Haarlock himself, long before the colony was established?) That could add an interesting 'race against time' element: the PCs have to either get the riot under control, or find the False Prophet conducting the ritual, before the deaths reach the 'magic number' needed to free the daemon. A potential twist would be to make the False Prophet not one of the prisoners, as the PCs will initially suspect, but one of the wardens, who sought out this post specifically because he knew the secret of the imprisoned daemon…

Thanks for the idea. However, the Pilgrims already play a big part in the Haarlock Legacy, and I want something completely different. Thoughts?

#4 BrotherKane

BrotherKane

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

One brief thought I immediately have, if there is a riot involved that the PCs will effectively help put down why not have them be a Khornate cult.  Their intentions being to spark the riot so that thousands of prisoners are then put down by the security/arbites/PCs etc.  The blood that is spilled fueling something, be it a summoning or something more interesting.  This way the PCs may end up conflicted about just guns blazing when they realise what is going on.  I've always thought some missions where the PCs mustn't shed too much blood would be interesting.

#5 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Maybe an Isstvanian Inquisitor started the riots to get an excuse to remove the govenor. Check disciples of the dark gods page 179. Its a group of inquisitors that believes strife is good for the imperium.

It will be interesting what happens if the players discover this.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS