Jump to content



Photo

Strongholds


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Athelas Loraiel

Athelas Loraiel

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

After spending all of them markers for a race, can one build more?

(using something else as a marker) 

or are they limited to the number included for races.

 

by conquering an upgraded stronghold - does the conqueror get the upgrade too?

 

when I upgrade the stronghold with a resource bonus on an area that usualy produces two resources - when the harvest comes - can a player choose which resource of two available the upgrade provides or is that set from the moment the upgrade is built by declaration of the player.

(f.example: area gives food&wood, the stronghold there gets upgraded into providing resource bonus, must the player say that he always wants wood, or can he declare what he needs every harvest?)

 

 

Can one switch upgrades when things change or are they finite once built?

 

how does one raze a city and build stronghold there - when the 8.th card says one can't build stronghold on a city tile?



#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Athelas Loraiel said:

After spending all of them markers for a race, can one build more?

As a general rule with FFG games, components are intended to be limited to the numbers provided in the game box, unless the rulebook specifically says you can use substitutions.  In the case of activation markers (I assume that's what you're referring to) I believe they are limited to the four provided per race.

Athelas Loraiel said:

by conquering an upgraded stronghold - does the conqueror get the upgrade too?

No, the upgrades are destroyed when the stronghold is conquered.

Athelas Loraiel said:

when I upgrade the stronghold with a resource bonus on an area that usualy produces two resources - when the harvest comes - can a player choose which resource of two available the upgrade provides or is that set from the moment the upgrade is built by declaration of the player.

I believe that the player declares which bonus resource he is getting by adjusting the dials on his race sheet to +1 of whichever.  As such, I think it would be fixed from the time the upgrade is built.  I could be wrong about this one, though.

Athelas Loraiel said:

Can one switch upgrades when things change or are they finite once built?

You can destroy an upgrade and rebuild something else, but you can't just trade one for the other.

Athelas Loraiel said:

how does one raze a city and build stronghold there - when the 8.th card says one can't build stronghold on a city tile?

There's a tactics card that lets you raze a city to the ground.  You would need to play that card to get rid of the city and then build a stronghold in the hex.



#3 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

    Rules Geek

  • Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Steve-O said:

Athelas Loraiel said:

After spending all of them markers for a race, can one build more?

 

 

As a general rule with FFG games, components are intended to be limited to the numbers provided in the game box, unless the rulebook specifically says you can use substitutions.  In the case of activation markers (I assume that's what you're referring to) I believe they are limited to the four provided per race.

I think he's referring to Stronghold markers (that's my guess based on the title of the thread).  As Steve-O says, you are limited to 4.  If you want to build a 5th, you must remove one of your existing strongholds.  (NOTE: In Runewars, the ONLY time you can voluntarily remove things from the board is if you are trying to build one and don't have any left).

Also, it's worth noting that Activation Tokens are one of the few components that are NOT limited to the number provided (see page 31) :)

Steve-O said:

Athelas Loraiel said:

 

when I upgrade the stronghold with a resource bonus on an area that usualy produces two resources - when the harvest comes - can a player choose which resource of two available the upgrade provides or is that set from the moment the upgrade is built by declaration of the player.

 

 

I believe that the player declares which bonus resource he is getting by adjusting the dials on his race sheet to +1 of whichever.  As such, I think it would be fixed from the time the upgrade is built.  I could be wrong about this one, though.

You can choose each time you do the Harvest Supremacy; it can be a different resource each time.  However, it must be one of the resources that the area already provides.  IE, if the area provides only food, then the resource development will only provide food.  If it provides food and wood, it cannot be used to produce ore.  Also, remember that resource developments only provide resources when activating the Supremacy Bonus of Harvest; if you activate Harvest out-of-sequence, the Resource development will not provide anything.

Steve-O said:

Athelas Loraiel said:

Can one switch upgrades when things change or are they finite once built?

 

 

You can destroy an upgrade and rebuild something else, but you can't just trade one for the other.

Unfortunately, this is not accurate.  Once you've attached a development to a stronghold, you cannot normally remove it.  The only way you could get rid of it (other than having the Stronghold captured and re-captured) is to build the development at another stronghold when you don't have any of that left in your stockpile; you could in that case pull one off another stronghold instead.  But you cannot just choose to remove a development from a stronghold to replace it with something else.  (This is from the text on page 31 that says that the only time you can voluntarily destroy your own units, strongholds, and developments is when you want to build one and have none left; the situation of removing-and-replacing does not fit within this exception).






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS