How to get this to the table?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luftwaffe Flak

Luftwaffe Flak

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

For some odd reason Im having alot of time understanding the rules in this game, Ive been told to disregard the quick start rules as they change so many things once you get to the full ones that you have to re-learn it. So far I havent found anyone locally to teach me yet (I learn best by doing rather than reading/studying). Anyways what are some of the tricks to understanding this game? TIA

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

Play solo (both sides naturally)! Do a few turns that way, getting a hang on the rules. Main part of each turn is Step 5: Action Resolution (where you use the dice to accomplish things).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Luftwaffe Flak

Luftwaffe Flak

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:19 AM

Thanks Dam! I will have to try that!

#4 Scofield_Uberjam

Scofield_Uberjam

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

I would also recommend to try the game solo. after you've got a feeling for the game mechanics study the event cards. it's important to understand what types of event cards exist and what benefits you get from playing them (and how you can screw your oppenent ;) )

#5 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

To my way of thinking (and my very poor memory, I haven't hauled this game out in ages) there are 3 primary rules blocks to the game.

First, there are all the rules for the action dice and doing things on the board.

Second, there are the rules for moving and hunting the fellowship.

Thirdly, there are all the miscellaneous rules that don't exactly fit into either category. Politics, bringing minions into play, some of the event cards, etc.

Which one would you say is giving you the most trouble?

Or is it just that all three taken as a whole are difficult to get down? If so, you would probably do well to play a few turns solo without the fellowship. That would help you to get down all the rules for the movement of armies around the board without having to worry if you're doing the fellowship right. You can then add in the fellowship after you see how things work otherwise.

#6 morpheus

morpheus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

After playing a few games, (and making a lot of mistakes :) ) the most of the rules don't seem to be that much of a problem. It easier to use trial and error method, then try understand all the rules at once.

#7 Elbobo

Elbobo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

I would also check out Ranger Robs reference on Board game geek. It will break down each action and phase so you can grasp it.  It helped me a TON!

ELBOBO

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS