Primer colours

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 attila

attila

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Sorry if this has been asked and answered (I couldn't find anything using a search) - but does anyone know if there is a perfect (or close to perfect) colour match for the pre-primed colours available at retail (e.g. a Vejello paint)?

I am a complete amateur painter looking to do some minor painting work on a few walkers (allied and axis) and would like to be able to fix up any minor errors on the primed areas without needing to basecoat the entire model. 

Thanks

#2 golem101

golem101

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Using the old Citadel paints range, the Axis are a good match with the Adeptus Battlegrey foundation (slightly darker), while the Allies' closest paint is Catachan Green (slightly lighter).

Can't say the equivalent colors behaviour in the new range, though.

#3 PanzerClaus

PanzerClaus

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hi Attila,

I was thinking about this recently too.

I don't know about Vallejo, but I've found Tamiya "NATO Green" (XF-67) to be almost identical to the Allies' primer color.

Haven't yet tried to match the Germans or SSU, though.

Hope that helps.

#4 attila

attila

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanks guys - I will have a look at those suggestion. I am not wedded to Vejello paints, I have just heard good things about them and like their dropper style bottles - plus their ww2 focus with their flames of war association. 

#5 Miah999

Miah999

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Tamiya may be a good option they have a number of spray colors that look close to the Dust colors, and I believe the Dust Studio guys are Tamiya fans, as I've seen Tamaiya models aroud the workshops at Dust Studios.

http://www.tamiyausa...hp?sub-id=61800

#6 esk34

esk34

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

As I have no allies models, are they the same primer as the SSU stuff.  I would love to know which colour matches the SSU stuff, as I was going to do some alternative tanks using other kits, but want to matc the colour to the primer used, as I like the primer and will be using it for a my army.

#7 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I don't know of any primer to match the SSU colours, I bought Soviet Tank Green spray by Flames of War for all my SSU armour.

#8 jb11

jb11

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

I've found Vallejo Model Colour Khaki 70.988 to be a pretty close match for SSU primer.

#9 esk34

esk34

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thsnks,  Will have to get some.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS