first game questions / micro review

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

My group love mansion of madness so I decided to try them on this we are three married couples who like a game once in a while and since we as six players are to many I hoped they would enjoy this. Basically the rules were fine except for the skill check item which I am still confused about!!!   I couldn't see in the rulebook how you worked out what number on the dice constituted success and failure etc and still cant see it in the rulebook but guessed at 5-6 due to the bless/curse cards (I have the dice) needing 4 & 6.  basically most of the players had an alright time but much prefer mansion for the 'story' shame as I much prefered this.

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#2 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

It's in there, you probably just keep missing it.  I forget what rule I was doing that for, but the same thing happened to me for something very basic.

But you got it in the end, a success is a five or a six on a six sided die, with multiple successes being needed for some tasks. 

I think with AH you bring the story to the game instead of the other way around.  Expansions like King in Yellow or Curse of the Dark Pharoah have more story to them than other expansions, or so I hear.  I've only got KiY and am looking through the cards now before playing.  Maybe with a few more plays your people will like it more as it gets smoother.

#3 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Page 13-difficulty- 

#4 Sinthioth

Sinthioth

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Generally speaking, Arkham is a tough game to get into but once you become more experienced at it it can be incredible. The thing is a lot of other games offer plenty entertainment for less investment, so it's reasonable that sizable groups aren't that interested in maxking that investment. If you can convince your group to go another round, I'd highly reccomend either volunteering to be a "DM" of sorts and just manage the board and rules so that everyone else can focus on the game (I've found the barrier for most people's enjoyment is simply the sheer number of rules they have to keep track of) OR making sure everyone is in charge of managing and tracking one particular facet of the game, i.e someone's in charge of managing combat and all it's phase, somebody else tracks Rumors whenever they show up, ect. I've heard of both of these methods having great success in other people's game groups.

I hope you can manage to get a second try and that it's a blast! This game rules ^_^

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS