I run Dark Heresy want to branch out.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guards

Guards

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I've run a dark heresy campaign before and i LOVE the imperial guard, I've been on the Dark Heresy forums for a while. First off a few questions.

I tend to run alot of "Death or Glory" missions with some investigations so would "Only War" be good for that style? (Most play guardsmen or Assassins)

I have the 2009 Imperial Guard codex and i am working on getting a pre Matt Ward (The Codex Heretic), also i have ordered the "Imperial Infantryman's Handbook" and my requisition should arrive on wednesday January 2 (they have it amazon GO BUY NOW).

What kind of roleplay oppurtunities does this offer? I AM THE HAMMER OF THE EMPEROR vs I just wanna make it vs Chem Dog etc?

How does it handle vehicle, i LOVE my calvary/mechanized infantry. So how do they work here?

How many books do i need to buy?

Thank you for your time. Long live the emperor.

THOUGH OF THE DAY: "Guardsmen never die little one, The Emperor just calls them back to Terra to regroup"

#2 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I've run a dark heresy campaign before and i LOVE the imperial guard, I've been on the Dark Heresy forums for a while. First off a few questions.

I tend to run alot of "Death or Glory" missions with some investigations so would "Only War" be good for that style? (Most play guardsmen or Assassins)

But of course! The squad gets their mission and have to go do it to the letter. Killing things, reconnaissance, defending things… all sorts of missions!

I have the 2009 Imperial Guard codex and i am working on getting a pre Matt Ward (The Codex Heretic), also i have ordered the "Imperial Infantryman's Handbook" and my requisition should arrive on wednesday January 2 (they have it amazon GO BUY NOW).

Ward isn't even that bad. I'd love to see him handle Tau or Craftworld Eldar. Is there a question here? The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook is amazing and everyone should go buy it.

What kind of roleplay oppurtunities does this offer? I AM THE HAMMER OF THE EMPEROR vs I just wanna make it vs Chem Dog etc?

Anything you and your players can come up with. My parties have had everything from a "By-The-Book" Commissar to a Psyker with a severe disdain for authority, with any number of standard soldier archetypes. You get your fair share of grizzled veterans, terrified rookies, and looting scumbags.

How does it handle vehicle, i LOVE my calvary/mechanized infantry. So how do they work here?

Only War has really beefed up the 40kRPG vehicle system and made it great. Vehicle combat works much like character combat, with armor depending on facings and Critical Hit tables for the various areas on the vehicle. The corebook has Sentinels, Chimeras, Baneblades, and a few xenos vehicles. Cavalry are coming in a supplement.

How many books do i need to buy?

There's only the core rulebook for now, though this line's "Player's Handbook" (like the Inquisitor's Handbook, Into The Storm, Rites of Battle) is coming out soon and is called Hammer of the Emperor.

Thank you for your time. Long live the emperor.

THOUGHT OF THE DAY: "Guardsmen never die little one, The Emperor just calls them back to Terra to regroup."

Attributed to Sergeant Johnson of the 117th Spartan Regiment, I'm sure.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#3 Guards

Guards

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Awesomeness how detailed are the vehicles descriptions?

Do they have assault bikes for non space marines available?

You said it is similar to the charecter combat for vehicles with facing for armor and such, sort of like the tabletop war gaming 40k rules only more indepth?

They kept autoguns right? I really love my autogun always set to "Death or Glory" for suppressive fire and ruining someones day.

How do they handle chemical warfare? Do they have tear gas grenades? I want to run an Armeggedon Steel Legion campaign/adventure they come with forever gas masks so you know why wouldn't the chemical bomb your ass.

Is there any sort of economy or do you just requisition what you need?

Thanks again for the help. 

#4 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Guards said:

Well, the descriptions are not that detailed, but I guess you could have a good picture. And only the most basic IG vehicles are included, and you can find plenty of info about them on the internet.

Guards said:

Nope. 

Guards said:

You said it is similar to the charecter combat for vehicles with facing for armor and such, sort of like the tabletop war gaming 40k rules only more indepth?

Yes, it works very similary than on the tabletop. Except that you cannot one-shot vehicles (not even with dedicated AT weapons). 

Guards said:

They kept autoguns right? I really love my autogun always set to "Death or Glory" for suppressive fire and ruining someones day.

The autoguns are in. 

Guards said:

How do they handle chemical warfare? Do they have tear gas grenades? I want to run an Armeggedon Steel Legion campaign/adventure they come with forever gas masks so you know why wouldn't the chemical bomb your ass.

The book has no biochem weapons (except the odd hallucinogen grenades). Not even tear gas. 

Guards said:

Just requisition and a handwaved black market (no rules, just mentioning).

#5 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

It sort of assumes you know what the vehicles are, if that's what you meant. Mechanics-wise you get speed, armour, weapons, crew.

They're being added in Hammer of the Emperor.

You said it is similar to the charecter combat for vehicles with facing for armor and such, sort of like the tabletop war gaming 40k rules only more indepth?

Never played the TT, so I wouldn't know. You have Front/Sides/Rear.

Yup! There's a robust Armoury full of guns.

No chemical warfare beyond grenades. They have Hallucinogen and Photon Flash so far.

You have a scaling Logistics stat increases as you play. Item Availability increases or decreases this stat, which you then roll under. It works the same as Rogue Trader or Black Crusade.

Thanks again for the help. 

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS