Just starting and looking for opinions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

In a couple months I plan on running a game of DH.  No one in the group has played DH before but one of the guys works for FFG, so he is familar with all the material.  I was going to start with the intro adventure that you can download but I'm pretty sure my one friend has read it.   And did I meantion that I've not run a game of DH before? 

I have an idea for a first session, I have 2 out of 3 acts planned the only problem is I missing the middle act.  Basic game idea - a cult of Khorne working out of a slaughter house, or series of slaughter houses has tainted meat which is being shipped through out the subsector.  This results in the people that ate the meat become more agressive and violent, and in some cases causing massicares.  Most recently an IG command regiment, celebrating the return from battle, turned a dinning hall into a charnel house.  Almost everyone was killed, most were ripped apart.

Act I - investigate the banquet.  Interview witnesses, perhaps track down an IG commander that escaped and is running through the city.  Learn where the meat came from.

Act II - ?

Act III - travel to the world that the slaughter house is on, investigate and then run into the cult.  Possibly a bloodletter? Or would that be to much?

One idea I had wa to move Act III to Act II.  They would learn that there are several cults on different worlds and they are all lead by "The Slaguterman"  Act III would then be the search for the cult leader "The Slaughterman"

Thanks in advance

#2 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'm reminded of the Underpants Gnomes from South Park: "Step one is to collect underpants. Step two is… well… umm… Step three is profit!"

Seriously, though, it doesn't sound like this scenario really needs much padding. I recommend that you start out with the investigation of the massacre at the IG banquette, without the PCs knowing of other, similar (but less spectacular) incidents. Set the PCs up to expect that the IG unit were corrupted at some point during their tour of duty; have them go hunting for the missing officer as you suggest, and when they encounter him have him yell "Blood for the Blood God!"- that will reinforce the misconception that this is willing corruption. The PCs should then begin backtracking the movements of the IG unit to find the source of the corruption, and get frustrated that they never seem to have come into contact with Chaos; if they think to check for similar massacres at locations where the unit was stationed, they stumble upon a report of one of the other killing sprees- but the IG have an iron-clad alabi for that one, and couldn't have been involved. While trying to find the common denomonator between the two (and others, if they think to expand their search), that is when they discover the link of meat supplied by a specific slaughterhouse. Then, it's just a matter of confirming their suspisions…

As for travelling to another world, keep in mind that the 40Kverse ain't Star Trek: space travel is a long, grueling process (think Age of Sail…). There is some controversy about how long it should take to travel between worlds, but in any event, unless the other planet is in the same system, it won't be a quick hop.

I suspect that a Bloodthirster would be a bit much for a starting party, unless they are pretty numerous and heavily combat-oriented.

#3 Guards

Guards

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Welcome to the forum. ^.^

One thing i've noticed most people not do is take advantage of space travel down time. Have the rest of the IG assistant in the investigation of their "Rogue" Unit (this is them trying to cover it up or throw them all under the bus). Force them to not level up until they are on the ship and then let them roleplay how they got the skills they bought. An IG ship is more than capable of providing almost all of those skills, the Hammer of the Emperor (Imperial Guard) has been known to train entire regiments inside the hold of the navy ships. I think they can handle a few acolytes. For more quistions about the training and roleplay feel free to ask me or anyone else. 

I have an Imperial Guard (2009 ((3rd edition?))) Codex and am working on converting everything to be lore accurate. Chimeras make for some truelly badass cinematics, with five gun ports (i'm assuming two+ on each side and the top hatch) for acolytes to fire out of. It seats twelve +the crew of three. 

Standard war gear is.

Multi-Laser, Heavy bolter, Searchlight, Smoke launchers. Also it is amphibious (unnaffected by water from what i read your choice though) 

There are some replacement options that i will list if asked. This is good to speed things along or make things more exciting. You can use it as a crutch or design a campaign around it. 

Hope this helped.

#4 Guards

Guards

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sorry forgot about the Dozerblade.

*Clears Obstacles

*Traverse Minefields

*Ramming Speed

Also in regards to your campaign, have act two be finding the officer and onward. Have them maybe bump into a few cultists bar fight etc in act one to maybe spice things up if neccesary. My Vehicle suggestions were meant to be used in your third act as i believe it would help them get around/ make use of that drive ground vehicle skill your guardsmen has. As to how they get the chimera well if you went with the rest of the guard is aiding your investigation and you rode in on their ship well you could have them loan it. 

It's all up to you! Sorry for the double post.

#5 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  I like the idea of the IG being involved but as a red herring.  Plus one of my players wants to play a retired guardsmen, so it could be his old unit have the issue.  Act I could be the banquet and hunt for the rogue gaurdsmen, Act II could be travelling with the IG back to the warzone to look for chaos taint, Act III could be learning that it's caused by meat from world they are one and they have to hunt down the cultists. 

Now I wonder if it would be possible to mix DH and Only War.  Perhaps that's better saved for the second session. :D

#6 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

When there is the space travel, you could make it all go wrong by having the meat itself onboard served to the IG soldiers. This would lead into an very interesting mid campaign conflict, for them to Supress the mutiny, get a hold of the command bridge, and keep the ship on right course. You could make the captain of the ship also succumb to the madness, and make the players do the grand decisions on what course the ship should take.

These wouldn't necessarily even get the players any closer to the origin of the meat, just a mid campaign confirmation that this is a serious threat, and could disable whole ships of people, and would include more in depth character  interaction etc.

this could be done in 1-3 sessions, depending how much do you like to keep things going.

#7 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Thanks I like all the idea's.  I think that will be enought for 3 sessions and maybe the start of a longer campaign.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS