Photo

how much only war rules are compatibles with dark heresy rules?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 the 8 spider

the 8 spider

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

from france

hello back from a long abscence. i ve been offered only war and i don't know how much it s compatible with dh. i just saw that unatural toughness is +2 and not x2 or is it a typo?  well i hope to read your opinions. it s ve son long  since  i last came that i didn't find a similar topics. thanks in advance.

#2 the 8 spider

the 8 spider

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

from france

the weapon seems more balance am i right?

#3 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

No, the Unnatural characteristic thing isn't a typo. Unnatural characteristics (+) provide a flat bonus rather than multiplying the characteristic's bonus. For example,

• Unnatural Toughness (x2) for a Toughness characteristic of 40 would give the character an effective Toughness Bonus of 8, since 4x2=8.
  • Increasing it to T50 would make it 10, since 5x2=10.
  • By contrast, Unnatural Toughness (+2) for T40 would give the character an effective Toughness Bonus of 6, since 4+2=6.
  • Increasing it to T50 would make it 7, since 5+2=7.

I find the addition multipliers to be more balanced, since it doesn't become quite so ridiculous as characteristics increase. Space Marine characters in Deathwatch have Unnatural Toughness and Strength (x2), making SB/TB 8 their average characteristic. Black Crusade compensates by giving Chaos Space Marines Unnatural Toughess/Strenth (+4), bringing them up to roughly the same level.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#4 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

Boss Gitsmasha said:

No, the Unnatural characteristic thing isn't a typo. Unnatural characteristics (+) provide a flat bonus rather than multiplying the characteristic's bonus.

How it should have been handled right from the beginning, too. Multipliers tend to "explode" some way down the road, and it's not hard to see how that could break the game - especially in a system where Toughness works like a second layer of armor, rather than minimizing the effect of sustained injuries.

That being said, I have to say that it could simply be dropped altogether and replaced with a flat +X modifier as part of the normal characteristics bonuses. It seems so unnecessarily complicated to preserve it as a specific trait. Sure, one could say that UT still works differently for the purpose of opposed tests, but imho the differences are unwarranted. Either somebody is stronger, or he isn't.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS